by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Nymphodora), 1,470 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A7 backwards compatible? #331039
07/01/10 17:49
07/01/10 17:49
V
vertex Offline OP
vertex  Offline OP
V

I have a project from A6 that relies on A6 template code.
It doesn't work in A7...
In fact I found the A6 Template scripts were changed in the A7 Engine by Conitec.

Am I missing something?
Are there certain scripts that must be included for backwards compatibility to happen in A7?

All of the c-script examples that I've tried using A7 no longer work in A7 without a lot of work. It just seems like such an odd thing to do...to have an enormouse foundation of code and then pull the carpet out from beneath everyone's feet with new code. Also, I'm a good artist but very much a novice scripter, and so not much of a true coder; however, I've noticed that many times the difference between c-script and lite c is simply syntax. To many it seems to be a change for no reason.

If A7 is not backwards compatible...I hate to write this, but the solution is to make A8 truly backwards compatible or stop advertising backwards compatibility. For A8 or A7 to be backwards compatible, you should be able to take any project from A6 that worked in A6 and it should run without error of any sort in A7. C-script of any type should work in A7. That is what backwards compatible means to me.

Add to this that the A7 help files are very confusing in its examples mixing lite-c in with c-script.

I know the plan is to do away with all but lite c.

I know that there are compile issues and performance issues with still using two scripts for one engine; however, if you're talking about 40 FPS vs 30FPS I don't think it really matters. Computers are only getting faster, and having two scripting languages-- one like Javascript and one like C++ would be a feature not a disadvantage. Unity has 3.

I like the java-script simplicity of c-script.

I like the engine and just wish it hadn't changed so much between A7 and A6. A7 side lined my project and I'm sure has done that with many others.

Last edited by vertex; 07/01/10 17:50.
Re: A7 backwards compatible? [Re: vertex] #331041
07/01/10 17:52
07/01/10 17:52
Schweiz
Widi Offline
Serious User
Widi  Offline
Serious User

Schweiz
The free version don`t support c-script, all other versions do.

Re: A7 backwards compatible? [Re: Widi] #331046
07/01/10 18:09
07/01/10 18:09
V
vertex Offline OP
vertex  Offline OP
V

I know.

I purchased A7 Extra and C-script still doesn't work. Since Conitec changed the template scripts as well, A6 template based projects will not work within A7.

You're saying that you can take any A6 project and it will work in A7 without error?

Nonetheless, this kind of goes along with what I'm saying in pulling the rug. To not provide C-script in the free version? Why? Okay, let's say I hadn't purchased A7-- I'm new to 3D Game Studio-- I'm going to purchase 3D Game Studio so that I can get access to an easier to use scripting language. What? The easier to use scripting language needs to be free and lite c needs to be the one you pay for.

Last edited by vertex; 07/01/10 19:19.
Re: A7 backwards compatible? [Re: vertex] #331051
07/01/10 18:32
07/01/10 18:32
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

There used to be no free version at all. (only demo)

They need to earn money you know?

Also, keeping everything backward-compatable would
seriously limit the speed of implementing new features.

Most of the time you only need to rewrite a part of the code.

Re: A7 backwards compatible? [Re: Damocles_] #331055
07/01/10 18:41
07/01/10 18:41
V
vertex Offline OP
vertex  Offline OP
V

I've been a 3D Gamestudio propnent for a while.

I'm not using the free version and wasn't thrilled when they made the free version. What I'm saying is let your advanced language be used for advanced users who want to pay for it. If you want to make a free version, put the old langauge in it.

I never said that they didn't need to make money. In fact, what I'm suggesting would help them make more money. As it stands they've alienated their userbase of c-script users (which took years to build) who must decide if they're going to a) learn a new language to use A7/A8 or B) learn a new language to use a different engine. The latter one is often the case as you know.

If it's not backwards compatible, okay fine-- just don't advertise it as such.

Rewriting part of your code in a very large project is not really something I or any one else would want to do.

It also has a very bad effect on all the people who wrote tools for A6.

>Also, keeping everything backward-compatable would
>seriously limit the speed of implementing new features.
Everything doesn't have to be backwards compatible. If you have new features people don't mind learning new code for it.

Last edited by vertex; 07/01/10 18:52.
Re: A7 backwards compatible? [Re: vertex] #331060
07/01/10 19:08
07/01/10 19:08
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
AFAIK it was a decision by Atari to provide lite-c for free.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de