by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, TedMar, dr_panther), 1,049 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ball keeps falling through object. #29472
06/24/04 13:40
06/24/04 13:40
California
BHoltzman Offline OP
Developer
BHoltzman  Offline OP
Developer

California
I set up a little maze and ball game in which you tilt a flat surface with a raised maze on it to move the ball around. My problem is that the ball keeps on falling through the corners of the maze.

I tried increasing the size of the maze and ball. This does help a lot with the problem, but I'm still getting the ball falling though the surface of the maze. I'm almost sure that it's because of how far the surface is tilting at any one time.

What I'm hoping for is a way to keep the ball from falling through the surface while keeping the size of the ball smaller. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm using A6.22 pro.

Thanks,

Ben

I'm not Mr Franklin but I am Benjamin. My avatar partly suites me.
Re: Ball keeps falling through object. [Re: BHoltzman] #29473
06/26/04 13:47
06/26/04 13:47
United States
not_my_name Offline
not_my_name  Offline

United States
It is said in the manual incorrect usage of the physics engine may allow entities to go through stuff. double check in the manual

Re: Ball keeps falling through object. [Re: not_my_name] #29474
06/27/04 01:27
06/27/04 01:27
California
BHoltzman Offline OP
Developer
BHoltzman  Offline OP
Developer

California
Wow, somebody actually answered me. Thanks not_my_name. I'm looking through a physics tutorial to learn the physics engine. But it doesn't mention improper use of the physics engine. What are the improper uses that you're refering to?

I'm not Mr Franklin but I am Benjamin. My avatar partly suites me.
Re: Ball keeps falling through object. [Re: BHoltzman] #29475
07/01/04 08:32
07/01/04 08:32
United States
not_my_name Offline
not_my_name  Offline

United States
Hmm, i can't find it... oh, here
Quote:

GameStudio Physics [C] [P]
GameStudio includes a physics subsystem, which allows for realistic motion of models. Currently it supports so-called rigid bodies, meaning that the 3d models will not deform during simulation or upon impact. Because this type of simulation is CPU intensive, the physics subsystem is disabled by default. When you wish to use it, you have to register physical entities and then enable them for simulation. This means you delegate exclusive motion control of these objects to GameStudio, as described below. When you no longer need a physical entity, you should unregister it or disable the physics system. While it may be tempting to simply register every object in your game as a physical entity we strongly advice against it because of performance reasons and stability. Whenever motion is simulated using physical approximations there is a risk of "explosions"; basically this means that your objects will do unexpected things such as falling through floors flying off at full speed or other nasty things. Reasonable effort has been put into the physics subsystem to prevent these explosions but with current technology a 100% failsafe method is not feasible. Despite all of these warnings simulated physics is a great way to spice up your game by allowing the player to immerse himself into this artificial environment doing new and unexpected things.

3D GameStudio Manual: mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\GStudio6\3DGS_Manual.chm::/ph.htm

Sorry for not answering in a long time, i had network problems for a while and forget about this post!

Last edited by not_my_name; 07/01/04 08:33.

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de