by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Imhotep), 567 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Re: unity 3 [Re: darkinferno] #342984
10/02/10 18:16
10/02/10 18:16
Saturnus Offline
Saturnus  Offline

Originally Posted By: JustSid
I had a lot of problems with Unitys scripting pipeline and I never got anything good working because it just sucked.

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
you have to workaround stuff in coding part.

Could you both or one of you explain this further?
The scripting part would be rather important for me. Let's say I would like to write my own pathfinding algorithm in it. Do you think that this could be problematic?

Other than that it looks promising in my opinion. I can't test it right now, though. I really appreciate to have all this stable features (at least I hope they are) out of the box in one product. I'm also interested in Unity's new light mapper. Being able to generate light maps from within the editor is a good thing to have and the results are probably better than what you can achieve with the A8 light mapper.

The procedural tree creator seems to yield acceptable results, too. And there's even more procedural stuff to come in the future: Unity Technologies and Allegorithmic Announce Technical and Strategic Partnership

BTW: DX Studio is somewhat similar to Unity, but the full-featured non-commercial version costs only $158. In regard to scripting you can do almost anything what JavaScript offers, but despite using TraceMonkey it's still too slow for implementing low-level stuff. You have to use the free SDK for this. However, I don't know whether it's worth the effort... with lite-C it's so fcking easy. laugh

Re: unity 3 [Re: Saturnus] #343048
10/03/10 11:45
10/03/10 11:45
ventilator Offline OP
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline OP
Senior Expert

i think it's also always a matter of what you are used too.

the gamestudio api is nice and easy but i don't really get what's supposed to be so great about lite-c? it still is c. a 40 year old archaic language. most of the time i find it a bit too low level and cumbersome for writing gameplay code. also debugging still is a huge pain.

it's relatively easy to use the gamestudio api with other languages though.

Quote:
Sooo... thats my little rant against Unity. All I wish for Gamestudio is a better compiler. Please, Conitec, throw WED, GED, MED etc away. Remove everything from the forecast that isn't a compiler feature and I will buy A8 Pro asap. (But I guess no one else would buy A8 then =/)
i kind of agree. gamestudio will never be able compete with unity anymore in the tools department. if i think of unity's beast and umbra videos and then of the state and workflow of gamestudio's map compiler... crazy

Re: unity 3 [Re: ratchet] #343053
10/03/10 12:14
10/03/10 12:14
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Originally Posted By: ratchet
Do you plan to release some game on Iphone or Nexus ?

Definitely, around fall 2011. I want to make desktop game, but Mobile platform has high priority.

I have a game concept on mobile, but I cannot start the project until the end of this year. I bought U3 because I want to enojy the discount of beta release.

Re: unity 3 [Re: ventilator] #343055
10/03/10 12:26
10/03/10 12:26
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Originally Posted By: ventilator
i think it's also always a matter of what you are used too.

the gamestudio api is nice and easy but i don't really get what's supposed to be so great about lite-c? it still is c. a 40 year old archaic language. most of the time i find it a bit too low level and cumbersome for writing gameplay code. also debugging still is a huge pain.

it's relatively easy to use the gamestudio api with other languages though.

Quote:
Sooo... thats my little rant against Unity. All I wish for Gamestudio is a better compiler. Please, Conitec, throw WED, GED, MED etc away. Remove everything from the forecast that isn't a compiler feature and I will buy A8 Pro asap. (But I guess no one else would buy A8 then =/)
i kind of agree. gamestudio will never be able compete with unity anymore in the tools department. if i think of unity's beast and umbra videos and then of the state and workflow of gamestudio's map compiler... crazy

Although I jump to Unity boat, but actually I enjoyed and learned a lot from GameStudio and the community.

When I realized some iPod games I purchased was made with Unity, I bought the iPhone option, and Android option follow.

Actually the products sell itself.

And I found a game on Steam was made with Unity too, availabe on Windows and Mac.

I think JCL just doesn't have enough ambitious and passion to compete with the rivals today. Just to look how long the Acknex engine exists and how fast the emerging of Unity engine and the growing of community.

Re: unity 3 [Re: Frederick_Lim] #343109
10/03/10 18:48
10/03/10 18:48
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
From my point of view, Unity isn´t that different compared to Gamestudio and it isn´t as restrictive as ShiVa.
It has a consistent and well working API and the Editor does a lot of things to simplify the users life. Like importing newly added files, compiling the code and integreting the codes interface into the editor.
This works basicly very well, but especially on the shader side, where it even has to compile for the different systems supported, this sometimes ends within a mess. Using shaders initially written in CG on the iPhone for example is something I didn´t yet see working correctly. But one can at least work around this easily by providing the same effect written in GLSL.
Another example where it doesn´t work correctly are texture lookups. It seems as if it sometimes optimizes them away. I for example failed to render the r channel of one texture and the g and b channel of another as a fullscreen effect. I tried many ways and while each texture on its own could be displayed correctly, it refused to display both at once.
Also the template shaders, are kinda messy and inconsistent, especially the postprocessing ones, just like in gamestudio.
I am getting used to Unity lately and the high request for custom shaders in the community shows that the provided onces aren´t enough. Which is actually always the case, as alround shaders tend to be slow, while a custom one exactly fitting the needs for a scene is often much faster and gives better results.
What I am now trying to figure out is how to manipulate the vertices and rendered pixels within the deferred pipeline, while still allowing the standard "surface shader" to work. The only other shader which seems to do something like that looks not very nice...

Re: unity 3 [Re: Frederick_Lim] #343131
10/03/10 21:20
10/03/10 21:20
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

I think JCL just doesn't have enough ambitious and passion to compete with the rivals today.

unless he is sitting on the bank of the river waiting for the corpse of Unity passing by

They must have a very high turnover to afford a team of more than 30 employees
Good for us , anyway

Re: unity 3 [Re: AlbertoT] #343144
10/03/10 23:22
10/03/10 23:22
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

@darkinferno :
You should make a level with terrain laugh
I think you'll be crying to see how it is easy to create in the world editor of Unity !

Lightmapping a scene makes the difference.
Torque 3D and Unity have understood , by adopting a good lightmapping tool , the user can generate it under the editor and that's it makes a big difference to a scene.

I played Halo Reach, the levels are a pure pleasure to look at, with top Lightmapping (they have their own code very advanced for that).

For A8, it's a coding tool , it can be lot more easy for beginners to use A8 than Unity; caus they have a lot less things to learn on the interface.
And coders don't care about workflow also.
Even today lot of newwbies, beginners use Bark Basic Pro.

So we not must compare A8 and Unity, their client target are not the same at all.
A8 continues evolving in its own way, and Conitec don't want to waste money to pay more coders to bring on 3DGS to Unity level.
Even more Conitec would not be sure to be better than Unity or reach it's level; it would suppose restart all from Zero !
Interface, engine etc ....
And i don't talk about Browser, Iphone , Android, WII support !!!!! Even more Mac support !!!
Too much heavy task !
Even more Conitec would not be sure people would choose it's product than Unity that have lot lot of Iphone happy users for example !

So to all stop comparing Unity and 3DGS !
Their platforms are different, Unity supports Mac, Mobiles, consoles, and 3DGS PC only.
3DGS target lot more newbbies, beginners, and Indie Lonewolfs;
it's perfect to make PC casual/arcade or more simpler games but that's can sale a lot !
If you target realistic next gen , with shaders ready to go, terrain tools , Unity is the way to go !
But do your team is skilled to do such game ??

I stop here laugh

Last edited by ratchet; 10/03/10 23:27.
Re: unity 3 [Re: ratchet] #343146
10/03/10 23:36
10/03/10 23:36
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Man after 2 year using it, i finally updated to Pro \o/
It's awesome, now i can use the profiler, awesome shaders, batching, lightmapping, etc grin

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: unity 3 [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #343156
10/04/10 01:28
10/04/10 01:28
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
So to all stop comparing Unity and 3DGS !

Ok ratchet, but it was you who compared both 6 times (!) in this thread.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: unity 3 [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #343157
10/04/10 01:40
10/04/10 01:40
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
if this engine would just give me standard shaders with support for level lights and shadows whether static or dynamic then i'd marry... am carefully watching the A8 todo list to see if they'll introduce something to make me wanna upgrade

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de