Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 20:05
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Grant, dr_panther, AndrewAMD), 1,379 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: Liamissimo] #352273
01/02/11 16:11
01/02/11 16:11
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
Any ideas of what shader I should use for my water?

This is just the problem, though. You can't hope to "push A7 to its limit" by using freebie shaders and models. If it were that easy, we wouldn't have a "3DGS is dying" thread in the first place.

Making games is hard, and if you want decent art/shaders/code/whatever, 99% of the time, it will cost you money.

That last 1% is reserved for people who A) Do everything themselves, or B) Build half of the game, then manage to attract free team members by accident.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: Redeemer] #352286
01/02/11 18:43
01/02/11 18:43
G
Gorilla123 Offline OP
Gorilla123  Offline OP
G

i didnt say i wanted a free one, i just asked about any good ones out there. and it is because of people like you who discourage people from trying that there is no good high quality games for 3dgs. Seriously guys give it time..

Last edited by Gorilla123; 01/02/11 18:44.
Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #352288
01/02/11 19:09
01/02/11 19:09
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Wondering why you are asking about shaders at the very beginning of the project.
Shaders can most time be exchanged with minimum problems and can still be implemented when the game has reached advanced stage.

You should care about many different things first.

Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: FBL] #352299
01/02/11 19:43
01/02/11 19:43
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
so you want do do wave race with powerboats, with A7, free stuff that pushes it to the limits and some guys are STILL believing this will actually happen?
shees i was gone for what, not even two months and THIS is it now? seriously?

Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: sPlKe] #352307
01/02/11 20:14
01/02/11 20:14
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Quote:
and it is because of people like you who discourage people from trying that there is no good high quality games for 3dgs.

Now let's not start making personal attacks. Don't get me wrong, you're free to give this a shot. At the least, it will give you some experience. But good, quality games come from experienced teams with a budget.

Quote:
Seriously guys give it time..

Maybe you should give the project time. Keep it personal, don't reveal it until you REALLY have something to show. When you stomp on to the forums and announce your project with a "cool" smilie, you're not asking for time. You're asking for applause.

Now the rest of us have seen so many people stomp on to the forums and ask for instant support and applause that we just can't take people like that seriously. Sorry.

So here's my advice: if you want to keep working on the project (as I'm pretty sure you do), don't bother saying anything about it unless you have a question, in which case we'll be glad to help you.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: Gorilla123] #352358
01/03/11 06:02
01/03/11 06:02
Ohio
xbox Offline
xbox  Offline

Ohio
wow, harsh crowd. @Gorilla123 - I wish you and your team the best of luck and i'm looking forward to seeing something amazing come out of this. This community has seen alot projects start and never finish. Personally, i have nothing to show for my self but a collection of things i started, and got no where with but i keep on trying. Best of Luck!!

Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: xbox] #352376
01/03/11 11:41
01/03/11 11:41
Flevoland, 5 meters under wate...
Roel Offline
Roel  Offline

some tips:

- don't start with great shaders and graphics.
- you can use placeholder models(ie boxes) to simulate the game. these placeholders can be replaced later with real models and textures.
- first focus on the gameplay, it is more important than great graphics.
- maybe you can learn from liam's game gravix: it is a simple game, but it is getting very far.

good luck, and if you have something to show, we'll like to see it.

Check out the throwing game here: The throwing game
Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: sPlKe] #352400
01/03/11 14:18
01/03/11 14:18
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
Originally Posted By: sPlKe
so you want do do wave race with powerboats, with A7, free stuff that pushes it to the limits and some guys are STILL believing this will actually happen?

So are you suggesting that GREAT graphics cant be attained with this engine and free stuff[shaders, sound, scripts] ?

note he did say that he had a friend doing models, until we see what his friend can do, who knows, besides when i started i had an artist too and he wasnt particularly the greatest but as time and the project went by, his skills became great, finishing a model a day sometimes even without lack of quality

so please state if youre saying HE cant push the engine using free stuff or youre saying that this engine CANT create amazing scenery using free stuff, note the keyword being "free"

@Gorilla123: i know you can do this just make sure you DO NOT focus on graphics first, use some boxes and placeholders, focus on what makes a game fun, your focus should be the CAMERA and vehicle control... personally i'd use the physics engine [ode/physX] to control the boats but not everyone can handle doing that i guess.. this project doesnt sound that huge, so i think you can pull it off.

just dont focus on shaders, doing effects are fine though, get the basic ones up, create the game using placeholders and get the boat control to atleast LOOK like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RITHC8DWqxg

i've noticed a few boating video games from 3dgs and lets be honest, they were bad, one guy chose to not take advice and say that he had it covered though it was obvious his game sucked, so if your response is anything like that then .. good luck laugh

BTW dont mind the negative critics, this forum has more than enough reasons to talk you down because we've seen these 'dream projects' before, however be happy because atleast now you should be motivated to prove us wrong and you need negative critics so you can know what to fix

i'm not saying you will or wont make it but i think you should start working, show updates and the community will guide you along the way, talking about pushing A7 will only make us look down on you if the first video/screenshot we see from you doesnt actually "push A7" wink

i WOULD suggest some water shaders but i dont support you even looking into shaders yet laugh

goodluck

Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: darkinferno] #352412
01/03/11 15:07
01/03/11 15:07
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
Quote:

some tips:

- don't start with great shaders and graphics.
- you can use placeholder models(ie boxes) to simulate the game. these placeholders can be replaced later with real models and textures.
- first focus on the gameplay, it is more important than great graphics.
- maybe you can learn from liam's game gravix: it is a simple game, but it is getting very far.

good luck, and if you have something to show, we'll like to see it.

-Start with a small level with great shaders and grafics.
YouŽll get an instant impression on how your game will look like. It will help you to develop a style.

-DonŽt use placeholders, because youŽll struggle when it comes
to polycount & texture sizes. On top of that, youŽll have to do 50% of the level design twice. Unnecessary additional work, imo.

-First focus on grafics, because actually you want to attract people at the very first beginning to make them curious.
Well said in another thread: They are coming for eye candy, they are staying for content.

My project works this way and it evolves better than IŽve thought at beginning.
But (!!) in the end youŽll to extermine your workflow by yourself. Because it will differ and depends on the project, your skills and your budget (time & money).

no science involved
Re: WILL push A7 to its limit! [Re: fogman] #352421
01/03/11 16:14
01/03/11 16:14
Roel Offline
Roel  Offline

@ fogman
hmmm I think you're right... at some pointscrazy
funny to see that people work that different.
for me it works to use placeholders.

but as you said: it depends on the project.

Last edited by Roel; 01/03/11 16:16.

Check out the throwing game here: The throwing game
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de