by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,094 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lightmap Experiments #359404
02/17/11 13:09
02/17/11 13:09
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline OP
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Hi Friends,

I am trying to find a good setup for the light-mapping system called dual lightmapping. Let me explain shortly what that means. This technique uses 2 lightmaps, one when you are far away including all shadows and lights. So there is no dynamic light needed. The other lightmap contains only indirect lighting. Thus it works with realtime lights and shadows when you are close to the camera. The engine blends smoothly between both lighting situations in a given distance.

Here are 2 images of some of my experiments.

The first image is very simple. You see one light and the results of lightmap, dynamic and dual map (right click on image to zoom in):

The advantage is that it works fine in a distance. The lightmap is almost exactly the same as the dual map result. Thus the blending is perfect even when I set shadow distance to only 10 meters.
The disadvantage is that it makes bright spots too bright and washes textures a bit out. And specularity is rarely visible.

Here is another approach. I use only very subtle lightmapping to get more specularity from real-time lights. So I light the lightmap only from emission textures. There is no single light that affects it:

Spec and bumps are better visible but in a distance it gets very dark when the lightmap takes over.

Actually the dualmap system has advantages when I want to animate lights and shadows. But the disadvantage is that it works not very good with normal and spec maps especially when I compare it do directional lightmapping as an alternative.

Can you give me an advise how to proceed? What setup do you prefer?

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Lightmap Experiments [Re: Machinery_Frank] #359413
02/17/11 14:27
02/17/11 14:27
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
I like the lightmap + dynamic lights the most and i don't feel like it's getting too bright. The last scene looks a lot brighter than the lightmap only version though, so i'm not sure if you were aiming for the darker part or the brighter part.

The blury look actually looks more like a bloom effect and nice. For example i really like how the last pic on the 2nd example looks like, it's quite soft and has a really interesting shading.

Just my opinion.

Are those models all from your last scifi pack? I think i really need to get one of those oneday.. just to go crazy with my pro license hehe. Looks really awesome.

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: Lightmap Experiments [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #359417
02/17/11 14:49
02/17/11 14:49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku
Are those models all from your last scifi pack?

Yes, I made some corridors from the models of that pack. And I will add a few new models and textures. Then it will be released as a new level construction set with a sample level. Currently I am testing. I also want to make a nice video as I did for all our last packs.

Re: Lightmap Experiments [Re: Machinery_Frank] #359461
02/17/11 20:01
02/17/11 20:01
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
why not just make the second lightmap (the distance one) a little darker so that when they mix, it wont be so bright.

either way i like the first one better. the results look much more consistant, and the extra brightness still looks good, although we might not have a fully informed opinion since i know sometimes a screenshot can look great, but in motion sometimes things can look really bad from the same scene.

Re: Lightmap Experiments [Re: lostclimate] #359516
02/18/11 07:46
02/18/11 07:46
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
why not just make the second lightmap (the distance one) a little darker so that when they mix, it wont be so bright.

either way i like the first one better. the results look much more consistant, and the extra brightness still looks good, although we might not have a fully informed opinion since i know sometimes a screenshot can look great, but in motion sometimes things can look really bad from the same scene.

Yes, you are right. In motion it does not look too convincing with a bright lightmap. The reason is that only dynamic lights affect spec and normals and the lighting from the map looks too flat. Thus I personally prefer dynamic lighting or directional lightmapping (radiosity normal mapping) like UDK, Source or Vision3d are doing.

It is really hard to tell. The pure lightmap is so great with fantastic soft shadows and ambient occlusion. But for my kind of geometry I need spec bumps to have convincing details. In a dirty industrial environment it could even work with pure lightmapping.

Re: Lightmap Experiments [Re: Machinery_Frank] #359521
02/18/11 09:44
02/18/11 09:44
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
It looks very good and is a nice idea! I am still a big fan of lightmaps. But it looks like you got a great detail of both worlds. cool

What I am really looking forward to in the future is real-time radiosity. Now that would be bliss. grin

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
Re: Lightmap Experiments [Re: William] #359522
02/18/11 10:03
02/18/11 10:03
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Yes, William. I am in touch with a few engine developers. And realtime radiosity is already in the works. Especially with DX11 and CUDA/directCompute there are a lot of options to realize this. I already saw some prototypes. The current hardware generation can handle this (Geforce 470/480).

Re: Lightmap Experiments [Re: Machinery_Frank] #359921
02/20/11 15:14
02/20/11 15:14
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Here is a video of a bigger map I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_O74nTYvcQ

This version only uses real-time lighting, there are no shadow maps.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de