by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (7th_zorro, Ayumi, AndrewAMD, Quad), 1,014 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
[SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry #360939
02/28/11 00:46
02/28/11 00:46
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
ok
=nervous=

ok, well today i reveal what our team has been working on, for those of you who know me, i assume you all thought we were still working on our first person shooter, well no, we couldnt get the quality we wanted, so we decide to pause it and wait on shadeC..

Today however, i would like to reveal:

SCION: the preAlpha Contest Entry

yes, it falls under the same name, while working on our fps, we always noticed that THIS video on youtube was getting constant views, we came to the conclusion that a TPS was more interesting to watch than an FPS, so we decided to ressurrect it and bring it online, welcome the new scion:

now this is a preAlpha test and was only released for the contest, simply because in order to finish our dream games, we need to a few things, since A8 is the current engine version, it happens to be one of them.

so this thread is to start testing the contest Entry, then i'll send a stable version in for the contest, note that this is only a client, most features were disabled.

You'll be able to create your armor in the LOADOUT screen:

this menu is incomplete, you'll need a res of 1024x768 or higher to use it properly, in the left above the color wheel is another box, this allows you to choose the CHEST pieces which each have their own functionality in the right is each armor piece, the cam will zoom to is as you click them, when selected, you can then change the part and its colour, next to the colour wheel is three buttons, the first reuses the last color, the second allows you to desaturate a colour and the third applies your last color to all pieces,also, please revise the key Configuration, then you can either do a training run and run around the map, pressing 9 will kill yourself, thus you can preview ragdolls

[size:12pt]NEXT you can join my Server and engage in some action, MOST guns and armor have been unlocked for you, since this is a test, i know you wont have time to be leveling up[/color]

ALSO, we havent tested with more than 2 players recently, we've tested with more in the past but not since recently so this is also to see what bugs i encounter there, i assume it should run fine

NOTE that choosing weapons and armor DO decrease your credits, well thats about it, we HOPE the test runs fine and/or i can fix bugs that popup in time, we hope you guys have fun playing me laugh and finally i hope that we can WIN this contest so we can continue working on this game and bring you the real essence of what we want it to be

the game starts in window 640x480, just create a new profile, select it and it will go to fullscreen, or, it should, then go to preferences and change videoscreen and resolution to your liking, i'm trying to remove these problems now

this update includes a few fixes:
- fixed some annoyances with some menus
- added some info messages to make the player aware of what hes doing
- weapons are all unlocked for the sake of the demo
- minor fixes to animation bugs
- reduces HDR a little
- you cant log in unless you select a profile
- some server fixes
- increased pistol damage

i apologize if there is a long load time at sttartup, i have no idea why, the uncompiled version doesnt take that long, am just asking you to bare with it because it WILL load

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mE-g84QIc8

Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: darkinferno] #360942
02/28/11 00:52
02/28/11 00:52
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Online
Senior Expert
Quad  Online
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
downloading, will be there after the oscars.

Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: Quad] #360945
02/28/11 01:30
02/28/11 01:30
B
bk9iq Offline
bk9iq  Offline
B

Hello darkinferno .... I was the one playing with u....
What's happening is the game is running in small window... I mean very small window.... and also All the settings are set to low and very low.... when I change it the menu get stuck and never hides... If I press the menu 3 times the screen is displayed 3 times one over the other....
I don't knw why... but I want to play Scion frown
Oh my Laptop's specs are:
Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz
Nvidia GTX 260M
Windows 7
4GB Ram

EDIT:: when I select window mode the screen gets bigger than when I select full screen

Last edited by bk9iq; 02/28/11 01:37.
Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: bk9iq] #360948
02/28/11 01:39
02/28/11 01:39
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
click on the settings to cycle through them, did you try that ?

thanks for making me aware of those, i'll look into it... i'm working as we speak, but my teamember tested before and he had no problem navigating menus, ahm, remember to press escape to leave menus

Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: bk9iq] #360949
02/28/11 01:41
02/28/11 01:41
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
When I started your demo and the profile selection screen popped up, the window size was extremely small, so I pressed F5 multiple times and F11 once to check the resolution (in fullscreen). When I got my desired resolution, I hit F11 again and the game started to glitch. Then my computer froze for some seconds, made some beep noises and shut down while giving some error messages (explorer.exe stopped working and the like, I don't know how much that was related to your game, maybe not at all?).
I'm using Windows XP, SP3.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: Superku] #360950
02/28/11 01:52
02/28/11 01:52
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
ahm... it starts in 640x480, just create a profile, select the profile and it will then go to fullscreen, then change your resolution in settings... those f# functions will always cause problems, i apologize for starting in such a low resolution, but i was having some problems, i guess i need to update it and set it to fullscreen by default

Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: darkinferno] #360951
02/28/11 02:15
02/28/11 02:15
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Have I been kicked?
I could not exit the game properly because the weapon selection blocked the "Leave game" button. (The bloom effect is way too strong.)

Otherwise I see a lot of potential!

EDIT:

Screenshot1
Screenshot2

Last edited by Superku; 02/28/11 02:17.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: Superku] #360952
02/28/11 02:19
02/28/11 02:19
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
ok about the bloom, it was being used for a snow level, which was ok, we made the change to this level in the last minute, need to readjust it and no, i crashed, seems the menus are the most annoying things, i really didnt have enough time to work on them before we decided we'd enter the contest, my focus was gameplay...

EDIT:

ok thanks for the screens, problems noted

apparently i crash whenever error("") is active while inkey is active... gamestudio bug maybe

Last edited by darkinferno; 02/28/11 02:23.
Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: darkinferno] #360977
02/28/11 12:50
02/28/11 12:50
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
Game's fun. It's on the right way.

- ragdolls still need work. had some weird positions there.
- when spawning, SET the position of the new player (directly), don't interpolate it (on the client). I always had you moving real fast from the position where you died to the position where you respawned.
- menu in game is still showing when I go back to the main menu
- icons for "XYZ shot ZYX" aren't all that clear. Might need it larger?
- the weapons don't feel powerful. The sniper felt very weak, because of the sound.
- there should be some recoil, it would make the guns feel stronger and make the player have to aim better.
- the particle effects look real good
- animation blending doesn't work at all. There's lots of "jumps", the weapon-changing ani doesn't look right and is played multiple times when I try to run?

The mechanics themselves look/work/feel good. Seems like you got some solid network code!
Apart from the menu-bug (which is still unfinished, you said), where was no crashes. Well done.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Re: [SCION:tps] preAlpha GamePlay Test and Contest Entry [Re: Germanunkol] #360979
02/28/11 12:57
02/28/11 12:57
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
i think the itemtossing animation is what messes up something, most transitions blend nicely, however, but we use two animation modes, we're having problems transitioning between those, looking into it, thanks

am working on the other bugs, hope i can get them done in time, tired XD

the most apparent transition fail is when you stop sprinting, to be honest, i think thats the only noticeable one, unless you saw something else ?

Last edited by darkinferno; 02/28/11 12:59.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de