by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (dr_panther, Ayumi, 7th_zorro), 877 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hey 3dgs community! #364411
03/18/11 00:43
03/18/11 00:43
Texas
not_me Offline OP
User
not_me  Offline OP
User

Texas
Long time no see. It's been a good 4 or 5 years since i left 3dgs to pursue other ventures and other engines. Ive been through UDK, Unity, Leadwerks(great engine!) and now ive found a new home... Torque 3D(amazing). Just thought i'd stop in and show you guys what im up to laugh. just a few screens from in the editor grin.

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/boberic/?action=view&current=screen6.jpg

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/boberic/?action=view&current=screen5.jpg

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/boberic/?action=view&current=screen4-1.jpg

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/boberic/?action=view&current=screen3-1.jpg

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/boberic/?action=view&current=screen2-1.jpg

hope you enjoy

Last edited by not_me; 03/18/11 00:45.

-Initiate Games
-Level designer

http://www.sckratchmagazine.com
Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: not_me] #364414
03/18/11 00:55
03/18/11 00:55
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
ummmm.... err... yeah, wrong forum buddy.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #364430
03/18/11 04:30
03/18/11 04:30
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Why is this here?

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: Redeemer] #364431
03/18/11 05:00
03/18/11 05:00

M
mercuryus
Unregistered
mercuryus
Unregistered
M

Hi not_me,

you can easyly see - nothing has changed here (with the community, the developer (jcl) and with the engine) - nice pics.
maybe you can write a bit more detailed about Torque 3D - to give us a chance to compare and learn...

mercuryus

Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: ] #364433
03/18/11 05:20
03/18/11 05:20
Texas
not_me Offline OP
User
not_me  Offline OP
User

Texas
torque(not the old torque game engine advanced) is actually pretty powerful and has alot of realy cool features built right in. their lighting system is very in depth(with source code ofcourse) they have a few tools they call editors that are built into the world editor. Things like a road, river, path, particle, and forest editor. The workflow and graphics pipeline are so effortless it will BLOW YOUR MIND! unless your mind has been blown by some foxy woman in a red dress....in which case it will DECIMATE YOUR SKULL!

its templates serve to be a good basis to build up from. I remember in 3dgs the templates were cool...but not enough to make a game that was passable in the market.

The engine runs off of PhysX, and has some other plugins you can buy. Like Verve(not quite sure what it is but i know it has to do with cutscenes o_O?) and PureLight(awesome plugin, used it with Leadwerks)-for advanced light and shadow rendering/baking. it kinda replicates what unreal engine 3 does...combination of baked and realtime lighting to get the best light possible(except unreal takes forever to build on a single pc).

its not a suite like 3dgs so youll have to fend for yourself when it comes to model editors...but i think we all have our niche. mines cinema 4d. but as a perk getting your models into the engine is EXTREMELY effortless. just export as either .dae or.dts and make sure its saved in the folder/subfolders for your models and its in the engine instantly. It has an inhouse material editor thats not as extensive as say unreal or the mat editor in 3ds max, BUT it has support for alot of materials that can be made in 3ds max and c4d. so if you make it there and then import chances are the material will stick laugh.

its got alot of cool widgets that you can just throw into the world...scatter sky(a mix of sun/clouds). a time controller for day and night - no more scratching our heads to make a day/night system. percipitation system. river/water editor that lets you manage the width of the water volume the depth and even the viscosity shocked!

all-in-all...its amazing. im having a blast...and every now and then when i need something i look back into my old 3dgs folder and grab a few things...heck what brought me here was a model pack i'd seen a while back. A pack of cliffs. Wanted to use it in my current project...but cant seem to find it frown oh well

-cheers

-Initiate Games
-Level designer

Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: not_me] #364435
03/18/11 07:25
03/18/11 07:25
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
what about the scripting programming side of the engine? i have both source and binary licenses of torque3d but i could not seem to find good docs for starting from ground up without using templates.

Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: Quad] #364442
03/18/11 09:03
03/18/11 09:03
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Well it's tool thread ! You should have named your post Torque3D i think.

Well Torque 3D is known for it's bugs and not easy C++ programming side.
I've seen a tutorial on 3D box collision detection in 3D space
by a ray cast, very complicated maths and big program :
I thought ok doing your own C++ is complicated and i hate complicated C++ environment to make simple things !

Well ...
-Is Scripting allowing to do anything as A8 allow laugh ???
-What format can be imported for animated models for indie people that can't afford such high price thing like 3DSMAX ? (Blender, FBX, Collada ?)
-How to do or import easily a lightmap ? from what modeler ? Blender ?
-What is the lightening, does it have standard shaders and how do they interact with lightening of the scene ?

Well i would want to say, juts make some playable demo with
some GUI, PNC animated character, some duplicated ennemie
and shaders and tell us if it was easy or complicated !

Bring on a demo for us laugh !

Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: ratchet] #364452
03/18/11 12:01
03/18/11 12:01
Texas
not_me Offline OP
User
not_me  Offline OP
User

Texas
hmm good questions.

well as far as its scripting side i found every drop of source code almost immediately. when you open the torque toolbox there is a button that says "edit source"...or aside from that you can use torsion. when you click it it prompts you for visual studio 2005 or 2008 and then BAM grin! all the source your heart can desire!

as far as documentation for the source...you might be on your own for that...i havent found any as well...BUT theres plenty of help and a realy responsive community(on par with 3dgs).

"-Is Scripting allowing to do anything as A8 allow laugh ???" - not sure...havent played with A8... but since it is a c++ based engine id assume everything and more :D(and torque script is pretty versatile).

"What format can be imported for animated models for indie people that can't afford such high price thing like 3DSMAX ? (Blender, FBX, Collada ?) " - it accepts collada and ive heard talk that it accepts blender(?) but dont quote me on it...no fbx though frown...sad day.

"How to do or import easily a lightmap ? from what modeler ? Blender ? " hmm a lightmap? why would you want to shocked? lol just kidding. in the material editor there is a specific place for light maps. so a lightmap can be applied to a specific material laugh. but for the most part the engine produsses realtime PSSM shadows...even for foliage(takes alittle extra tinkering).

"What is the lightening, does it have standard shaders and how do they interact with lightening of the scene ? " - standard shaders and more. SSAO, HDR, edge AA, Light Rays, and DoF(+other pp effects) are all standard and can be turned on from the beginning. everything interacts with the scene dynamicly and in real time. no shadows have to be baked ahead of time, but ofcourse you can do so laugh...and lights are updated automatically.

oh and you mentioned GUI...it has its own gui editor built in. its pretty nifty.and im working on a demo with all the things youve mentioned laugh and its...i wont say way easy...but it is easy. lets put it this way. with 3dgs it would take atleast hmmm...2 times as long to finish what i have so far and get it to look the way it does.

-cheers

and keep the questions coming grin ill answer until i run out of answers tongue

-Initiate Games
-Level designer

Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: not_me] #364454
03/18/11 12:40
03/18/11 12:40
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

Well i'm not programmer oriented so i think i will not be interested as you on the source part of the engine.

For me importing easily 3D animated models without problems is one of the main things i consider on a 3D engine.
And I don't know but making all realtime can be very consuming
compared to detailled Lightmaps.
Well it's just my point of view.

What i think is that the main point that can make someone use Torque 3D is it's solid and powerfull multiplayer code
to make solid multiplayer games.

For my part i'm planning ot buy some Shiva license for all
it's mobile offer (publishing on Iphone, Android etc ...)

Well try to finish a little demo and tell us what was great
and what was problematic on programming or workflow laugh !!

Re: Hey 3dgs community! [Re: ratchet] #364457
03/18/11 12:52
03/18/11 12:52
Texas
not_me Offline OP
User
not_me  Offline OP
User

Texas
as far as shadows go...they are exclusive to each model. just like in 3dgs you can tell certain models not to cast shadows and use your shadow map instead...or do both. and i cant wait to finish up my demo and let you guys sink your teeth into it.

-Initiate Games
-Level designer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de