by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dr_panther, 7th_zorro), 1,203 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[scion multiplayer] bullet impact effects #366712
04/06/11 17:32
04/06/11 17:32
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
so basically there are a few methods for spawning global impact effects in a multiplayer [shooter], impact effects are what you see when you or another player shoots an object, this is targetting dynamic objects on a network game however

first method - clientSide shot recreation
in this method, when a player shoots, he sends that info, all players then retake the shot and create effects locally for that new shot, you also can send less data this way because you can just send a shot signal to players and they'll shoot accordingly

this isnt the fastest method however since youre running a trace for each shot also it only works best for static objects:

if a highpinger shoots a moving object/player he sees at position (50,50,10) then what happens is, by now that player would be at a different position on other clients, say (75,3,10) when the shot is recreated on their pcs, the effect fails because the traces hit nothing, you see the bullet impacting other surfaces yet you see someone die as shown in the pretty sketch, left side shows what the player that shoots sees, right image shows what other players see under lagged network conditions:

this is quite common in multiplayer games, too see bullet traces missing yet the player taking damage which leads us to

second method - positionBased creation
in this method when a client shoots someone or something, he sends the position of where HE created that effect to everyone else, all other clients then spawn the effect on that position, that looks good in good network conditions, but if not, you'll see effects being spawned in the air when the object they supposedly hit has already moved:

and i know your thinking, why not just create the effects relative to the entity, which leads to the

last method:
this also works ok under good conditions, i assume it needs to send a bit more data though, however under bad conditions, it may look weird when someone is being shot at, runs behind a wall, and you start seeing impacts created on him AFTER hes in cover, to be honest, i'm a bit scared of this one, i remember in gears of war where someone would run away from a sniper bullet, get into cover, then his head spontaneously pops because the bullet did actually hit on the client that fired it:

the second method seems like the more effective choice, netword conditions would have to be pretty horrible for it to look bad and i think i may combine it with the last method, i havent decided yet, so if you have a better solution in mind, let us know

i've also started a blog and would love your support: http://scionwars.blog.com/

Re: [scion multiplayer] bullet impact effects [Re: darkinferno] #366726
04/06/11 19:52
04/06/11 19:52
Berlin, Germany
S
SchokoKeks Offline
User
SchokoKeks  Offline
User
S

Berlin, Germany
This post is definitely a must for everyone creating a multiplayer shooter (and there are quite a few people here doing so!).

For Survive! i use the first method. Its good because of its relativly low bandwidth and the side effects are usually not noticeable in a cooperative game.

Re: [scion multiplayer] bullet impact effects [Re: SchokoKeks] #366842
04/07/11 16:25
04/07/11 16:25
Spain
painkiller Offline
Serious User
painkiller  Offline
Serious User

Spain
I use second one in Assault!

3D Gamestudio A8 Pro
AMD FX 8350 4.00 Ghz
16GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Re: [scion multiplayer] bullet impact effects [Re: painkiller] #374591
06/20/11 13:09
06/20/11 13:09
Europe
ShoreVietam Offline
Expert
ShoreVietam  Offline
Expert

Europe
Thanks for this visualisation!

Due to your explanations I found a website showing how Valve tries to come along with this problem. This article is very interesting, but it sounds quite complicated, too.

I'm not sure which way to go, I'll keep thinking about it a bit. ^^

Last edited by ShoreVietam; 06/20/11 13:14.

My project Schlacht um Kyoto - Das Samurai Browsergame! (sorry, german only)
Re: [scion multiplayer] bullet impact effects [Re: ShoreVietam] #374600
06/20/11 14:31
06/20/11 14:31
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
i talked about that method in my post here http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=374599#Post374599

its a bit complex how they do it but i broke it down a bit to how it could work for me and do similar

Re: [scion multiplayer] bullet impact effects [Re: darkinferno] #375670
06/27/11 07:03
06/27/11 07:03
U.S.A. Michigan
exile Offline
User
exile  Offline
User

U.S.A. Michigan
I think there should be a tutorial on how to do certain types of shooting in online MP. Like, how to use the methods posted above with trace, impact, and explosion weapons.

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de