by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (7th_zorro, degenerate_762, AndrewAMD, ozgur), 774 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: Sama] #370954
05/16/11 21:10
05/16/11 21:10
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

It's first time i heard of this game on Snes, not so well known.

The problem fo making an exact copy, it's the copy rights !

Even more it's a total waste , if the remake would be a great success with improved 3D graphics, gameplay etc ... like some other remakes, you won't be able to sell it !

If you make it for free, i'm not sure you'll find people ready to put lot of their free time making textures, characters, animations etc ... for free just like that.

Even for real projects destined to be selled perhaps, it's hard to find people motivated, or they begin and stop because they find other pririties in their life etc ...

So ... well, perhaps make it yourself alone , the best way to not be disappointed laugh ??

They are lonewolves sometimes doing better than companies :
Sonic remake

Why do you choose A8 engine if you are a pure 3D artist ?
some other engines are better suited for 3D artists ??

All that is really strange ? And you could present some portfollio ? if you are really an artist working in Industry
you should indeed have one ??

Last edited by ratchet; 05/16/11 21:13.
Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: ratchet] #370957
05/16/11 21:14
05/16/11 21:14
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Online
Senior Expert
Quad  Online
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
isn't that the shadowrun is like the father of the original fallout?

also, ratchet, you hearing about a gmae first time does not mean it's not so well known.

Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: Quad] #370970
05/16/11 21:57
05/16/11 21:57
Germany
Rackscha Offline
Serious User
Rackscha  Offline
Serious User

Germany
@Sama: Instead of doing 1:1 remakes, i think its better to look what worked and what didnt work for those games, and build your own game(even if heavily inspired by one). This way you may even get some cash(maybe a faithfully created game, for some euro), and that might be a more promissing way to build up a team.

EDIT: even if your game isnt like the one its inspired by, gamers may still think "Oh..this reminds me of >insert game here>. HAvent played something like this for a long time." etc etc. A Familiar feeling is always a plus, your own story anotherone. redoing the same might be some risk(in 2 ways: Gamers not linking, Companys going mad about copyright)

Greets
Rackscha

Last edited by Rackscha; 05/16/11 21:59.

MY Website with news of my projects:
(for example my current
Muliplayer Bomberman,
GenesisPrecompiler for LiteC
and TileMaster, an easy to use Tile editor)
Sparetime-Development

Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: Rackscha] #370978
05/16/11 22:39
05/16/11 22:39
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
i strongly agree with Rackscha, i hate game remakes that mirror the games, well i like seeing them but i dont like the idea of making them because personally as Rackscha says, i think its better to take the game idea and do your own twists on it so you can produce a commercial game, instead of remaking zelda for example, why not develop an own character just as loveable and try to create an own franchise .. i guess noone thinkgs like this anymore

Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: darkinferno] #371422
05/20/11 23:46
05/20/11 23:46
G
Gamesaint762 Offline
Gamesaint762  Offline
G

I am going to have to agree that it is quite strange that someone with industry experience would choose this game engine. I have seen one or 2 decent games made with this engine in 11 years. If your an experienced artist Sama then I would love to see your portfolio and also advise trying Unity as its a free engine with no royalties. Still odd that you would even post here. I have been in the Industry for 4 years and rarely ever do anything related to Gstudio anymore as Conitec does very little to upgrade their products.

Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: Gamesaint762] #371423
05/21/11 00:02
05/21/11 00:02
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Originally Posted By: ratchet
Why do you choose A8 engine if you are a pure 3D artist ?
some other engines are better suited for 3D artists ??
Originally Posted By: Gamesaint762
I am going to have to agree that it is quite strange that someone with industry experience would choose this game engine. I have seen one or 2 decent games made with this engine in 11 years. If your an experienced artist Sama then I would love to see your portfolio and also advise trying Unity as its a free engine with no royalties. Still odd that you would even post here. I have been in the Industry for 4 years and rarely ever do anything related to Gstudio anymore as Conitec does very little to upgrade their products.
I disagree with both of you. Ratchet, I do think lone-wolf pure artists aren't going to get very far with GS. But this is the Jobs Offered forum, and he's looking for a team. He's not trying to make something all by his lonesome.

Gamesaint, I'm surprised at you, after you recently posted Supercan, and you must be aware of Dejobaan's work. Less amazing stuff comes out of GS only because it has less users. Unity is much better marketed, and much better known. GS lacks cross-platform support, but besides that is extremely capable. Sama's looking in the right place!

Sama, may I suggest you joining someone else's team first. A little freelance work, or even contributing artwork to the community, will gain you some reputation within the community, give us a better understanding of you, and get a more positive response from other users who are available to work.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: JibbSmart] #371758
05/25/11 01:00
05/25/11 01:00
G
Gamesaint762 Offline
Gamesaint762  Offline
G

The fact is that the A8 just is extremely behind most other engines. Supercan is made with A7 and Shade C which isnt something that comes with the acknex engine, therefore to get those kind of graphics its relying on a 3rd party plugin. Come on people face it this engine lacks alot of things that would make it extremely nice and why bother paying for it when there are cheaper and even free products I can use? I have spent tons of money on this engine and I dont see it as a waste but I dont see it as an investment. Unless you have seasoned and extremely talented people then making a game with A8 is just not something I would want to try ever again.

Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: Gamesaint762] #371762
05/25/11 01:58
05/25/11 01:58
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Shade-C isn't a plugin. It's just a whole bunch of .c files and shaders. Everything it does, you can do in SED. BoH_Havoc just makes it easier by writing a whole bunch of good stuff himself.

Everyone's scared of shaders, but most won't even try them.

Anyone relatively competent with Lite-C can be writing their own normal mapping shader with dynamic lights and other tweaks of their own within a few hours with the official shader workshops. That's the first thing I did when I got A7 Commercial years ago and decided if I had an engine that supported shaders and I couldn't write them, I was wasting my money.

So how is it behind?

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: JibbSmart] #371767
05/25/11 06:31
05/25/11 06:31
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
Anyone relatively competent with Lite-C can be writing their own normal mapping shader...

But the realitiy is not like you mention it here. I worked with a lot of engines, indie and professional ones. And when I talked with the makers of the Vision3d engine about their documentation I learned, that they even split documentation into artist and programmers documentation, just because all their customers work that way. There are people responsible for different areas of a game. And only a few projects bring their own shader programmer. Many projects will not touch shaders at all and will rely on the delivered technology. That is by the way the reason why they spend so much money on an engine. They want ready-to-use technology. They want to save time and want to finish a game. It does not make much sense to finish the engine, especially in the today's market where you often have to make smaller games with a small budget.

Actually you are right, that it is very easy to make a normal mapping shader in many engines. There are visual shader editors in C4, Unity (as a third party plugin), in Vision3d and in UDK. So it is just connecting a couple of nodes in the right order. But later it might be harder if you desire to let them interact with light-maps or directional lightmaps or other effects. Some engines have all that integrated into the nodes, others need some manual work, especially when you have a cross-platform project.

So it is not always a big problem. Often artists can do it on their own. But when it really needs a bunch of customized shaders, it will distract you for months, maybe even years, except you have a dedicated shader programmer in the team. But suggesting that a lone wolf should do all this on his own is probably not a way to succeed.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: SamaGames looking for team members [Re: Machinery_Frank] #371794
05/25/11 13:12
05/25/11 13:12
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

It does not make much sense to finish the engine, especially in the today's market where you often have to make smaller games with a small budget.

Indeed, for people who's goal is to finish a game and sell it , even a casual game, they can't spend programming tools or learn shaders , specially when there is lot lot of stuff onto HUD, menus panels , molde,s textures, animations etc ...

I like to use standard shaders (normal map, toon shader, , water ,refraction, HDR etc ...) , i just want theses standard
to be available, but i'm not interested at all to program shaders !
So yes some times a visual shader editor is better for non
pure programmers !

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  checkbutton, Inestical, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de