by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, dr_panther, 2 invisible), 1,056 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! #374384
06/18/11 10:00
06/18/11 10:00
N
nomis23uk Offline OP
nomis23uk  Offline OP
N

Dear Somebody,

I'm getting really tired of trying to follow tutorials and they say something like add an entity and then change the behaviour of that entity by going to behaviour tab and choosing.. "Player_walk" for example...

Behaviours are just blank for me and its starting to bug me need some help please. - randomly this time round uppon loading wed there not blank...see screenshot for what I see.

Here are some screen shots to better explain my problem.

The current actions I see, baised on the names I assume there more effects than actions:
http://www.s1m0n.co.uk/screenshots/currentactions.jpg

Alot of articles and people have said its because im not choosing the write script in map properties, well can somone tell me which one I need ive tried all in this screenshot and its the same issue for all of them:
http://www.s1m0n.co.uk/screenshots/choiceofscripts.jpg

Some others have said its my current presets, I have noticed you can't change these only Add paths....well can somone please advise me where the default actions are and I will add the path because I just cant find player_walk for example anywhere.
http://www.s1m0n.co.uk/screenshots/currentpresets.jpg

If this does not get resolved by 25th im going to file a charge back, I'm some what annoyed that a product of value of £700+ does not work straight out the box.

Last edited by nomis23uk; 06/18/11 10:05.

A8 Pro
Windows 7 64bit
QuadCore i7, 6 gb ram, ATI 5970
Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: nomis23uk] #374385
06/18/11 10:08
06/18/11 10:08
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

I dont think that they will give you a chargeback when it seems your problem is not the software but only your own ignorance.

As a beginner you normally have no clue how to use Gamestudio, thats absolutely normal, so why dont you just start with the tutorial like everyone else? By opening WED and just wildly clicking some buttons you will never learn how to make a game.

Follow the tutorial step by step, everything is explained there. When you need a behavior for your entity, you must write a script that contains that behavior. The tutorial shows you how to do that. Once you got the basics its really simple.

Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: Spirit] #374386
06/18/11 10:19
06/18/11 10:19
N
nomis23uk Offline OP
nomis23uk  Offline OP
N

Sorry but I refuse to be called ignorant...

I have read the tutorials on lite-c and currently I am reading and re-reading the WED tutorial at http://www.conitec.com/tutorial/

but when a tutorial says:

Quote:
Click onto behavior now and pick the player_walk action instead of the non defined action (ndef) out of the action list which comes up by clicking the folder symbol

thousands of tutorials say the same thing.... actions such as env_rotate, shoot, walk etc.....

are there none predefined anywhere then, do we have to write ALL our own stuff within the script file is that what your saying spirit?

A8 Pro
Windows 7 64bit
Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: nomis23uk] #374387
06/18/11 10:23
06/18/11 10:23
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

I see nothing under the link you posted. Player_walk is an example in the manual, its not an action from the tutorial. The tutorial is under the "Tutorial" link here, its also on the download page for download.

There are predefined actions, they are called "Templates". There is a tutorial series in the AUM magazine about them, but before using them you should first learn how Gamestudio is organized and how to write a script, this is highly recommended. This is where you should start. Everything else comes later.

Last edited by Spirit; 06/18/11 10:29.
Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: Spirit] #374390
06/18/11 10:33
06/18/11 10:33
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

By the way, for WED and MED there are tutorials on the download page. But its really recommended to start with the lite-C tutorial, that also covers behaviors.

Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: Spirit] #374391
06/18/11 10:57
06/18/11 10:57
N
nomis23uk Offline OP
nomis23uk  Offline OP
N

okie dokie thanks very much spirit.

sorry for the miss understanding earlyer.

A8 Pro
Windows 7 64bit
Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: nomis23uk] #374431
06/18/11 16:01
06/18/11 16:01
Oklahoma City, OK
emo10001 Offline
emo10001  Offline

Oklahoma City, OK
In defense of nomis23uk....where to find the templates tutorials is a little misleading. When I hear about "AUM Player magazine"...I think that it's going to be "extra" material...tips and tricks...etc....NOT the only (so it seems) place to find tutorials on a CORE part of the game dev kit. While it's nice to finally be told where they are, it boggles my mind that they are NOT included...in the actual Manual. RTFM...is supposed to give me all the info I need to use the product right? So why does it seem that how to "fully" use the templates correctly is not in the manual...but instead in a "players magazine" extra?

Just my 2 cents/euros...from a user who is also pretty frustrated...and read a lot of tutorials including the lite c...and read a lot of posts...and read quite a few of the AUM articles myself...for quite literally at least 3-4 hours a day for the last 4 weeks.

I'm not really bashing anyone/or the product...but...a true newbie "jumping off point"...that is part of the OFFICIAL literature...ie...the manual...on some of the very basics...would help. To have to go to an outside source (the player magazine) to be able to go one step beyond basic movement of a player, just to add "jumping"...and to be able to animate that jump smoothly...seems .... incomplete.

The lite c tutorial is great...and very informative...but for it to not show newbies how to "jump"...is a huge hole. I mean...aren't the basic movements for 99% of games, backward, forward, rotate, strafe....jump? If those are so basic, why not include ALL of those movements in the beginners guide and/or the manual?

If I'm really missing something...please let me know.

/rant off

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas
Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: emo10001] #374436
06/18/11 16:37
06/18/11 16:37
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

They are in the manual. Look for "Game templates".

Jumping is not in the tutorial but I think when you did the walking, adding jumping is not hard. If you dont want to script it yourself, the player template has jumping.

http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/shooter-template.htm

Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: Spirit] #374451
06/18/11 19:14
06/18/11 19:14
N
nomis23uk Offline OP
nomis23uk  Offline OP
N

Thank you emo exactually my point what I was getting at. laugh

finally after two weeks I can now create a basic room with basic lights and use one of the default charactors and can make him move.

cant jump but can move using wsad thats a big improvement from where I was earlyer this morning when looking for actions hehe.

for those that are stuck too in the situation I was in:

the player_walk can be found in the manual in the game dir

door can also be found in same location.

im still currently looking for robot2, gun, patrol_path, player_prog to complete this tutorial ive been following for the past week or so.

the search continues.

eventually once ive found them all im going to host a massive temaplte download to help more new commers to game studio.

yes 3dgs does come with temaplates but now where near enough for the basics. even in the official c-lite tutorials before somone else churps in saying read the tutorial.

A8 Pro
Windows 7 64bit
Re: Game Studio A8 > Behaviour > Actions missing! [Re: nomis23uk] #388207
11/29/11 18:17
11/29/11 18:17
E
elegant_mistake Offline
elegant_mistake  Offline
E

Don't even try being surprised that somebody is having trouble making what is allegedly a "click together" basic first game. The instructions and resources for this software is completely fucking chaotic. The people on the forum are pretty nice but it is goddammed impossible to find an instructions or tutorial that will actually teach you how to do something simple from start to finish.

I need to come up with a better signature
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de