Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi, degenerate_762, 7th_zorro, VoroneTZ, HoopyDerFrood), 1,268 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Gears of War vs. Unreal Tournament #377116
07/10/11 10:44
07/10/11 10:44
T
the_clown Offline OP
User
the_clown  Offline OP
User
T

Well, ya, title says it all I guess.
I've been playing A LOT of Unreal Tournament, from the classical UT99 to UT2007 aka UT3, and recently I've been dealing with the question whether to buy a console, and if so, which, and that got me messing with the top exclusive titles, namely Uncharted for PS3 and - Gears of War for the 360. However, I don't wanna compare PS3 and 360 here, or Uncharted and Gears, I'd rather like to compare UT and Gears. The connection is evident, with both titles being developed by Epic Games, however, I'd like to hear some opinions on what you like on UT, what you don't like on Gears, and vice versa. Also from a developers view, but preferably from a gamers point of view.
From what I'VE seen in Gears of War (mostly multiplayer) gameplay footage, and experienced myself while playing on a friends box, it's A LOT different to UT, yet shares some similarities. Gears seems a lot slower, of course, given the cover system and the rather slow-paced movement compared to UT, yet it looks also a lot more based on tactical teamplay even in deathmatches.

Re: Gears of War vs. Unreal Tournament [Re: the_clown] #377126
07/10/11 13:11
07/10/11 13:11
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
I do have UT3 for PS3 and Gears for XBox, so i hope i can help a bit.
First of, i love both consoles but prefer the PS3 nowadays (it was the opposite before cause there were no good games for the ps3). I like it more of the current title, free multiplayer and because i just grew up with playstation.

To your question, UT3 and Gears is indeed hard to compare i think.
While UT3 is a fast paced shooter with many weird weapons, gears is a bit more tactical and uses the cover system a lot.

Gears of Wars coop mode is what's really great about this game. I've played it with a friend, it was a blast, even though it is very very short.
Never tried the online multiplayer, i don't wanna pay a fee to play online.

UT3 is a lot of fun as well, i love the Unreal series and enjoyed it a lot. You can even hook up keyboard and mouse and play with it.

I've played it online a few times, not too much, just because im not a big fan of online multiplayer, but it was fun nonetheless.

Another bonus on UT3 is that there are lots of maps, mods and gamemodes.

So if you look for something long lasting, i would suggest UT3, if you are more up for a fun coop on one console, definitely get gears of war.

However since you are still debating which console you want to get, i would just say PS3, but it definitely depends on what games you prefer.
For me the PS3 games look better, there are more unique ones i really love (uncharted, ratchet and clank, Killzone, to name a few), it comes with a blueray player and it has free internet access.

Hope you find the right system for yourself grin

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: Gears of War vs. Unreal Tournament [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #377129
07/10/11 13:40
07/10/11 13:40
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Without touching the whole console discussion:
UT3 really isn't a that great game. It actually has rather few people playing it online at all these days...

Re: Gears of War vs. Unreal Tournament [Re: Toast] #377149
07/10/11 18:00
07/10/11 18:00
T
the_clown Offline OP
User
the_clown  Offline OP
User
T

Originally Posted By: Toast
Without touching the whole console discussion:
UT3 really isn't a that great game. It actually has rather few people playing it online at all these days...

I can understand that UT3 wasn't as much a success as the successors. While playing it, I felt like playing an UT mod for Gears of War because it just - looked like Gears of War, in terms of graphics. Sure, it was more colorful in some maps, but still, had this look.

However, just to make my point more clear (guess I didn't clearify it enough in the original post), I'd like to talk about the different playstyles, the design, a comparison of the two titles in general, not related to the console discussion at all. Thanks for the tip to buy a PS3 though, , I think I'm gonna do so as the only xBox exklusive that would get me buying a xBox would be Gears 3, and on the PS it's Uncharted 1-3 (when it's out), Little Big Planet AND God of War. grin

However, still, more opinions about Gears vs. UT please. Especially regarding the multiplayer mode.

Re: Gears of War vs. Unreal Tournament [Re: the_clown] #377250
07/11/11 13:58
07/11/11 13:58
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
IMO Gears of War = Tactical UT w/ Chainsaw gun.

Seriously.

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de