Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/20/24 21:39
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/20/24 20:57
Scripts not found
by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, rki), 390 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alternative to the big bang theory #378334
07/22/11 15:45
07/22/11 15:45
UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
pararealist Offline OP
pararealist  Offline OP

UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
For those who instinctively feel the Big Bang Theory is wrong.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/online_videos_Thornhill_NPA.htm

A8.3x Commercial, AcknexWrapper and VS 2010 Express
○pararealist now.
Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: pararealist] #378348
07/22/11 18:00
07/22/11 18:00
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
so lambda is zero?

woah just watched part of it, when he started defamig Einstein & Co he qualified as blithering *****. Also, most of the stuff he says later on is bullshit. I stopped watching it.

Really.
o.O

Last edited by Joey; 07/22/11 18:06.
Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: Joey] #378349
07/22/11 18:10
07/22/11 18:10
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

a good alternative to "the big bang theory":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/

Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: ventilator] #378353
07/22/11 19:45
07/22/11 19:45
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
O ... kay ...

Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: RealSerious3D] #378354
07/22/11 19:55
07/22/11 19:55
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
I wonder if matter was created or recycled. if at anychance matter was turned completely to energy somehow.... some sort if infinitely powerfull nuclear explosion.... i havent really looked up if that makes any real sense but i figure mass changes to large amounts of energy.

Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: Joey] #378367
07/22/11 23:16
07/22/11 23:16
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Joey
so lambda is zero?

woah just watched part of it, when he started defamig Einstein & Co he qualified as blithering *****. Also, most of the stuff he says later on is bullshit. I stopped watching it.

Really.
o.O

Just because he makes fun of popular science makes you stop listening? That's not any different than Lawrence Krauss making fun of Christians who have their own ideas about the universe. If you would like them to be open to different ideas even though those ideas are told with a sneer to their own believes, and I suppose you would, you should do the same with this, then. Just filter the entertaining parts and use the useful ones.

I'm quite sure you have more knowledge on the subject than me. His claims of energy unable to exist without matter sounds interesting to me, but I am not able to calculate wether this is true or not. But I do trust your judgement, is it false?

Last edited by Joozey; 07/22/11 23:18.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: Joozey] #378381
07/23/11 08:41
07/23/11 08:41
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
It is false, as for example photons have energy, but no mass.
And they really don't, to an extremely high precision. If they had, the electric field would go something like ~ 1/r^2*exp(-a r) for some a>0, but actually it goes like ~1/r^2 without the exponential factor. Because the electric field is so strong, this can be tested very easily. So when he claims "no energy without mass" I'd like to see some evidence.
And it goes on like that. Electromagnetic radiation does not require the presence of matter. And Äther-theories have long since been falsified, as they break Lorenz invariance.
Earth formerly had a lower gravity? Seriously?
Also, his statement that we cannot ignore the electric force in the universe is, true. No cosmologist ignores any of the known long-range forces. It's a matter of fact, though, that there are two electric charges: positive and negative, and only one gravitational charge. That's why, even though the gravitational force is some 10^37 times weaker than the electric force, it dominates on cosmological scales, because it can accumulate.

Sure, I can only state theories, but at least they've been tested. It's not as if he was talking about the ultimate frontier of current research.

You're right in telling me off for my harsh words, but I don't like people ignoring basic facts without proof for their "better" theories.

edit: just looked him up. Funny how they create their own scientific world outside of the "mainstream". Their own journals, medals, etc.. if they'd be really convincing, I'm sure they could publish to serious journals. Somehow this looks like Uri Geller who doesn't want his "magic" to be acknowledged.

Last edited by Joey; 07/23/11 08:46.
Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: Joey] #378396
07/23/11 12:28
07/23/11 12:28
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
It seems like there's lots of Uri Geller practices evolving from university studies, kind of creating jobs for those who didn't quite make it into the mainstream fields of research. Since not many people could say or judge they're wrong as they simply dispute or talk around average Joe's questions with little facts that do hold scientific ground, but when looking closer they don't really prove their claims. Meanwhile they run away with government money to perform research on fields that make no sense in the first place... if doing research with it at all. Or why else hold this talk full of nonsense to elderly gentlemen where at least some must know the truths and lies?

On the other hand, perhaps there is some truth in his claims, and the facts you stated hold true for him as well, but could not exist without the existence of mass in the universe? Photons have no mass, and have to travel by the speed of light. But can they only exist because there is mass around in the first place? Just coining something up.

If there's one thing I experienced during the first year of physics on university is that there are a lot of explanations for things that seem unreasonable when you start digging deeper. To find such explanations you need new insights and ideas and then prove it with calculations. I failed to master the latter in the time given and had to drop out though :P, and figured understanding the universe in words would suffice over recalculating the facts. But finding out what's true and not is a bit harder without knowing all the basics. That's why we have this forum though grin.

Last edited by Joozey; 07/23/11 12:32.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: Joozey] #378448
07/23/11 19:17
07/23/11 19:17
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

About the true meaming of E = MC^2 I dont think he said neither something wrong nor rivolutionary
On the contrary , in my opinion, many people misunderstood the real meaning of the equation
Mr Thornhill claimed that mass and energy are property of matter
This is, at least, what I understood myself when I studied this stuff at school

The common mistake is the to assume that mass is a synonimous with matter
and consequently to assume that in a nuclear reaction matter is annihilated and turned into pure energy

The confusion matter == mass is due to the fact that mass had been supposed to be a constant for hundred years
Same as, before Newton, weight was supposed to be a constant and consequently a synonimous with matter,too

The claim :

The mass of photons is null

It is not complete, you must add

The mass of photons is null, at rest

A photon in motion has a momentum
It can collides with electrons same as it were normal material particle
In conclusion, quite often you read

Matter is frozen energy

Right, but also

Energy is diffused matter

Re: Alternative to the big bang theory [Re: Joozey] #387430
11/18/11 15:17
11/18/11 15:17
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Joozey
It seems like there's lots of Uri Geller practices evolving from university studies, kind of creating jobs for those who didn't quite make it into the mainstream fields of research.

Many of those people are downright charlatans though. They might not even have the degrees they claim to have, let alone be in the know of the common scientific lingo and methods.

They usually do their own thing indeed, which is very typical for pseudo-scientists. Doesn't mean they are all wrong by definition and skepticism is good, but most of them are pretty much just loonies. grin

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite