by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Edgar_Herrera, VoroneTZ, Akow), 973 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Deus Ex: HR #381653
08/30/11 16:46
08/30/11 16:46
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Discuss (remember the spoiler tags if necessary! Don't spoil the game for those who haven't finished at least one playthrough yet).

I'm on my second playthrough and planning my third. It's a fantastic game. Great length, and great variety to how you play.

On my second playthrough I was walking through a room all casual-like because I'd found a pass-card that gave me authorization to be there. At the same time, my brother was on his computer behind me in the same room, trying to live long enough under a barrage of bullets to kill everyone and clear his path. On my first playthrough I didn't find a pass-card, and sneaked my way through the room. The freedom to pass the game with different play styles and different paths is fantastic.

Jibb

Last edited by JibbSmart; 08/30/11 23:56. Reason: Fixed subject line

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: JibbSmart] #381654
08/30/11 17:19
08/30/11 17:19
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
You are alive! I thought the only reason for you being constantly on "In Game: Deus Ex" on steam was because you died from playing too much D:

I love it so far, and now that i've fixed my laptop, it's actually running super smooth all the time with high settings, which makes it even more enjoyable.

The freedom of solving certain situations is great indeed. I try to sneak, but even then you have lots of opportunities. Do you know them out one by one, do you lure them to a specific position so you can take a different route that they've blocked, do you hack that terminal to deactivate cameras and bots, or do you enable bots so they kill your enemies, etc.

It feels like playing Deus Ex 1 again, with all the good elements from 2, which is awesome for me.

I do hacking a lot. It gets very very easy later on if you skill out everything. I usually have 10-20 nuke and stop worms with me just in case, but you rarely need them. But i like it, after hacking hundrets of time, you are happy it gets easier, so you still can hack everything you see to actually get experience points, even if that computer just contains useless emails heh.

So yeah getting rewarded for different actions is really nice, it keeps the game entertaining. I also enjoy all the small side quests and how they can affect certain things.

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #381662
08/30/11 18:23
08/30/11 18:23
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
grin Yes, I'm alive! I remember seeing you playing it, as well as some other GS users. I was sick last week -- enough so that I couldn't be productive for more than a few minutes before exhausting myself, so I just played DX as much as I could grin First playthrough was about 30 hours for me (including all the side-quests I could find).

I completely agree about this game mixing the best elements of the first two games. It felt perfect. Some things I didn't even realise could play out differently until the second playthrough, such as (only click if you've finished the game and don't mind seeing how something could be done differently)
Click to reveal..
finding Sandoval once you're in Detroit after the riots. The first playthrough I stealthed my way through the convention centre and found Sandoval's location on a computer. When I got to him he tried to fight me off and I neutralised him. On the second playthrough I publicly confronted Taggart to find his location -- Sandoval heard about it on the news and was contemplating suicide when I got there. I talked him out of it and left him in peace, but next time I'll probably encourage him to do it.
I didn't want to kill anyone unnecessarily, and managed to remain a pacifist until about two thirds of the way into the game when I had to (click if you've finished the Montreal mission, or at least are far enough through it that you think you know what I'm talking about -- it's nothing huge or story related)
Click to reveal..
defend myself while waiting for the really slow elevator. I hacked the turret, which destroyed them in a matter of seconds.
After that I'd defend myself lethally in tough positions or to pass a room that made stealth almost impossible. On this playthrough, (same deal as before, played differently)
Click to reveal..
when I got to the elevator and had to defend myself, I tipped over a vending machine and blocked one door, blocked the other with boxes, and just chilled without killing/harming/seeing anyone.
I'm going for the Pacifist achievement this time, so I'm stealthing it up again and complementing it with hacking (as I did first playthrough). First playthrough I invested heavily in hacking stealth, and this time I invested in hacking fortification instead, so even my extensive hacking is playing out differently.

Next playthrough I'm going for stealth again, but without reservations about killing -- and no hacking. I want to find all the alternatives to hacking. I think some stealth is integral to the gameplay, but there's enough difference between lethal and non-lethal that it'll be very different. Stun-gun is so short range, and the tranq gun is very limited compared to their lethal counterparts.

A couple of issues with the game:
1. Punching through walls with an enemy on the other side is always lethal. This is such a shame frown I found a cool and stealthy shortcut on this playthrough that I didn't find on my first, but couldn't get through the last bit because there was someone on the other side of the wall, and I'm going for Pacifist. Stealth is an obvious choice for a pacifist, so being hamstrung in this and other circumstances really bothered me.
2. Bosses. But less so than reviewers say. There are usually a few ways to approach their destruction, so even if it takes a few tries, realising the strategy best suited to your upgrades is rewarding.

And yes, I have been playing on the highest difficulty. When they called it "Give me Deus Ex" I had no choice.

How far are you into the game?

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: JibbSmart] #381670
08/30/11 20:19
08/30/11 20:19
North America
Redeemer Offline
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline
Serious User

North America
Seeing Deus Ex so masterfully revived after such a long time just makes me wish they'd do a System Shock 3. frown

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: Redeemer] #381702
08/30/11 23:55
08/30/11 23:55
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Seeing Deus Ex so masterfully revived after such a long time just makes me wish they'd do a System Shock 3. frown

I also can't wait for Thief 4...

@Jibb,
I actually had tons of problems with my internet and computer when deus ex came out, so that pissed me off a lot. Took me 3 days to actually be able to play it, but with a very low framerate, but i enjoyed it anyway
Everything is fixed now so i can finally play with everything on High Quality and 60 FPS (+while recording :D)

I'm in detroit during the riot right now.

Yeah the first boss fight was a bit dull, but not that bad. The second one was actually really cool so i don't understand those reviews.
The only problem is that they require to shoot a lot, so if you go for a stealthy equipment, its hard and you die a lot heh.

I haven't looked at the achievements yet, got a few but not sure what else there is left. But i might try to get all of them too.

Usually i don't kill anyone either but had to once in a while (or just did it on purpose when they are very cruel and my patient low :P)

There are 2 things that im missing/that are bothering me:
1) You can't put a silencer on a sniper.. that really shocked me big times
2) There are no multitools smirk

So yeah not much to complain about heh.

My Blog

Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #381704
08/31/11 00:09
08/31/11 00:09
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline OP
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline OP
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:
(+while recording :D)
grin Ah yes! I'm one of your subscribers, although I don't always tune in. Deus Ex is has so many paths that I might tune in for this, even after a few playthroughs.
Quote:
Yeah the first boss fight was a bit dull, but not that bad. The second one was actually really cool so i don't understand those reviews.
The only problem is that they require to shoot a lot, so if you go for a stealthy equipment, its hard and you die a lot heh.
Regarding the first two bosses:
Click to reveal..
I didn't fire a single shot at the first boss -- I used one EMP grenade, and then just threw barrels, canisters, and fire extinguishers at him, and they killed him.

The second boss provides you with no ammo around the place, so on the first playthrough I completely ran out of ammo, but killed her in the end by letting her explode all the conduits. In the second playthrough I started by letting her explode all the conduits (which was safer this time because I had the upgrade that protects you from electricity), and then a few shots from my revolver finished her off. I imagine the game is smart enough that those shots wouldn't have been necessary if I didn't have any ammo.
I've read some complaints that players felt they had to carry lethal weapons with them in case of bosses, but that's not the case. As far as I remember, the player is always provided with all they need for each fight. But yeah, with my non-lethal load-out and non-combat upgrade focus, I died dozens of times the first time I fought any boss, and those two were before the patch that improved the load times frown
Quote:
1) You can't put a silencer on a sniper.. that really shocked me big times
2) There are no multitools smirk
Silenced sniper was a pre-order only weapon for a specific retailer (I can't remember which, and I hate the very concept of retailer-specific or pre-order-specific content, let alone a combination of the two). And multitools! grin I guess they can be written out by their not being invented yet, but it would be cool to be able to find disposable multitools to hack some things for you.

Btw, the achievements are safe for you to look at. Any story-related achievements are hidden until you achieve them, so there are no spoilers.

Jibb

I made KarBOOM!
Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: JibbSmart] #381706
08/31/11 00:34
08/31/11 00:34
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Quote:

Ah yes! I'm one of your subscribers, although I don't always tune in. Deus Ex is has so many paths that I might tune in for this, even after a few playthroughs.

Heh nice! I haven't really recorded a real episode of Deus Ex yet, i just tried if it would work, and yeah, it works great. I'm not 100% sure if i will do an LP of it (i already have so many unfinished) but if i'm gonna replay the game for a second time, i probably will record it too.
Just didn't (and couldn't because of my laptop issues) want to record the first playthrough because i usually observer everything for a few minutes before doing stuff, so that would be kinda boring heh.

RE: Regarding the first two bosses:
Click to reveal..

It's funny, everytime i talked to someone about the second boss, they told me a different way of defeating her.
A friend of mine actually had to look in the water reflection to see where she is. And he used those energy generators to let them explode.
I didn't even know about those. I have the eye upgrade that i can see invisible units. I also took the Heavy Rifle after i died 2 times. So in the end, i used my eye to see her, followed her, shoot everything i have, and when she came out and charged me, i threw down some EMP grenades to stun her (took me a while to figure out that i could actually use emp stuff to stun her heh).

I then realized there are EMP Mines and more ammunition near the walls, so i planted some EMP mines around me so she had to step into it.

The first boss was more like "aahhh!" *throws everything at him and dying 20 times*

Quote:

I've read some complaints that players felt they had to carry lethal weapons with them in case of bosses, but that's not the case. As far as I remember, the player is always provided with all they need for each fight. But yeah, with my non-lethal load-out and non-combat upgrade focus, I died dozens of times the first time I fought any boss, and those two were before the patch that improved the load times

Yeah i always found weapons before a boss fight and you can always go back after the fight to pick up your non-lethal weapons so that's pretty cool.

Quote:

Silenced sniper was a pre-order only weapon for a specific retailer (I can't remember which, and I hate the very concept of retailer-specific or pre-order-specific content, let alone a combination of the two).

Uah i don't like it if they have retail specific content, unless you can get it ingame as well but have access to it earlier. They did something like that in Ratchet and Clank: Crack in Time.

Quote:

Btw, the achievements are safe for you to look at. Any story-related achievements are hidden until you achieve them, so there are no spoilers.

Oh! Okay that's cool, so i will definitely check them out grin

Can't wait to get home and play again heh. I only tested it in high quality and 60fps this morning for 3 minutes, before work. So this is gonna be fun when i get home \o/

My Blog

Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #381707
08/31/11 00:49
08/31/11 00:49
Hummel Offline
Expert
Hummel  Offline
Expert

@Kiyaku: link to your LP channel?

Re: Dues Ex: HR [Re: Hummel] #381708
08/31/11 01:01
08/31/11 01:01
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
www.youtube.com/SeriousCreeper grin
Also check out the channel i have with Michael Schwarz laugh
www.youtube.com/Pretzelcast

Last edited by Captain_Kiyaku; 08/31/11 01:11.

My Blog

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de