by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, dr_panther, Quad), 935 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting? Hate it? Love it? #381669
08/30/11 20:19
08/30/11 20:19
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
This is a topic that brings up alot of controversy in the gaming world, nothing feels more horrible than playing a game and having some random hacker jump in and start raining death unto you, your team and well.. everyone, at those moments you pray for a kick button to save the day, which, it sometimes does.

For each of those moments where you get saved by the kick function, theres an equally upsetting moment when youre innocently playing a game and you get kicked because someone didnt like you or thought you were hacking.

So for scion i want to put some thought behind it, based on your experience, what do you think the best way of handling vote kicks are ?

Theres a few methods that i know of:

- majority vote, aslong as >50 percent of votes say yes, the kick goes through but the problem with this is, if 5 people vote and 3 say yes, this doesnt necessarily mean that the majority says yes because others just may not have voted, which bring us to....

- everyone needs to vote in order for a kick to go through, this seems ok but whats to tell if everyone will vote or wants to vote, cant punish a player for not voting and cancelling the entire poll because 2 people didnt vote seems silly

Most solutions seem to have a window for abuse, ofcourse i'll have other systems to handle kicking that resides on the server, for example, a server can kick whatever player he chooses and change maps whenever.

Re: [multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting [Re: darkinferno] #381714
08/31/11 05:58
08/31/11 05:58
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
Based on my blops knowledge:

Kicking by vote sucks! I was really good(kd 5-7) and i got kicked because people thought i would hack...

Maybe you should only allow the admin to kick, thats not always the right decision, but better than having 10 people being forced to vote and so disturbed wink

Re: [multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #381741
08/31/11 12:17
08/31/11 12:17
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
yes i am aware, any other opinions on this ??

@Rey: do you also believe the same thing about map voting ?

Re: [multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting [Re: darkinferno] #381745
08/31/11 12:27
08/31/11 12:27
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
Voting the next map is a cool thing, but maybe make it "secure"(forcing another map after X-times), so that some bored people dont always vote for the same map.

(Votehacks or just bored kiddies)

But well, i would prefer a small window (like in TF2) for votes, where I can quickly vote via F1/F2 (etc), because a big window would be too disturbing.

Also, there should be a vote-open-limit (so that one guy does not spam vote-questions)

Re: [multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #381746
08/31/11 12:37
08/31/11 12:37
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
No am not worried about the presentation of the voting options, am just worried about voting overall, personally i see big advantages and disadvantages to using a vote system...

My problem with map voting is also that people will use it to avoid losing a match or abuse it just the same...

Keep in mind that if-ever you have a group of friends playing a game, they pretty much control the voting of whatever they want...

Re: [multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting [Re: darkinferno] #381760
08/31/11 14:30
08/31/11 14:30
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
I believe in kick-voting, here is how I would do it:
Every players vote has a weight, the higher the weight the more influence do they have. Weight is gained by doing good things in the game, for example playing for a long time on the server, doesn't spam, doesn't vote spam. To kick someone, it needs at least 3 players or 3/4 of all players weight (whatever adds up to more, this way one person which played for a long time can't kick any player). Voting to kick the person reduces the weight of the person by 60%, voting against the kick does nothing.
The weight of the person is reduced for kick votes against its nemesis, this is, if I was killed by player Foo multiple times in a row or player Foo killed me the most, my vote to kick him is only worth 30% of its usual weight. Same goes for the one who initiated the vote, his/her vote is also only worth 30% of its normal weight.

For map voting the rules would probably look like this: Players with a very low kill/death ratio have less weight in the vote than players with a normal ratio which have more weight. Players with a very high kill/death ratio don't receive any weight boost in a map vote.

This rule set isn't tested so if you are going to use something like this, please test it a lot and tweak the rules!

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: [multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting [Re: WretchedSid] #381763
08/31/11 15:04
08/31/11 15:04
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline OP
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline OP
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
i really like your idea justsid, i'll look into it, what do you think about the host being able to kick whoever he pleases?

also, this weight would reset if the player leaves the game i assume, meaning a newly joined player has a lower weight and not something stored on the server/locally and it would have to take into consideration people that havent voted right?

also if it requires 3/4 of all players weight and for example 4 people vote, then even if each of those players have a weight of 60, it still wouldnt pass, does that seem ok? or is 75%weight of total voters weight too high? maybe like 60% should be better?

Re: [multiplayer ]- Map/Kick Voting [Re: darkinferno] #381849
09/01/11 18:22
09/01/11 18:22
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
Originally Posted By: darkinferno
i really like your idea justsid, i'll look into it, what do you think about the host being able to kick whoever he pleases?

His vote could be weighted more but imo s/he shouldn't be able to kick one player alone for whatever reason s/he might have. If the other players doen't agree with the kick, it should be impossible for the host to kick a player.

Originally Posted By: darkinfer
also, this weight would reset if the player leaves the game i assume, meaning a newly joined player has a lower weight and not something stored on the server/locally and it would have to take into consideration people that havent voted right?

Yes, I would say that the weight is stored for ten minutes or so, just in case a user disconnects because their internet is flaky.

Originally Posted By: darkinfer
also if it requires 3/4 of all players weight and for example 4 people vote, then even if each of those players have a weight of 60, it still wouldnt pass, does that seem ok? or is 75%weight of total voters weight too high? maybe like 60% should be better?

Idk if 60% is enough or 75%, that should be tested in a few rounds with a few people, it is probably a hard task to balance all this but can be pretty rewarding imho.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de