by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro, VoroneTZ, Quad), 901 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: Machinery_Frank] #382039
09/03/11 14:45
09/03/11 14:45
B
bart_the_13th Offline
bart_the_13th  Offline
B

Yep, but I still wish that I can control the lightmapper the way I control WED's lightmapper. I mean, if I was just trying to quick test a scene, not for the final render, I'm hoping that I can turn off all those powerful(and power demanding) stuffs and leave anything basic intact.

Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: bart_the_13th] #382052
09/03/11 19:17
09/03/11 19:17
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: bart_the_13th
Yep, but I still wish that I can control the lightmapper the way I control WED's lightmapper. I mean, if I was just trying to quick test a scene, not for the final render, I'm hoping that I can turn off all those powerful(and power demanding) stuffs and leave anything basic intact.

Yes, you can do that. I mean, I can do that so you can do it as well. Just watch one of the millions of video tutorials or look into the manual and you will see how easy and how powerful it is at the same time. And when you have a little bit experience with 3d rendering tools like I have, then you will appreciate the power it offers to you, not worse like a big 3d rendering application.

And really, when I bake lighting in a 3d rendering application (still renderer) for a complete level, then Unity calculates it much faster. There are many optimization included.

But when the speed of the lightmapper is your most important issue, then I would suggest to switch to the Vision engine from Trinigy. It is really the fastest, faster than UDK, Unity or whatever, even with cranked up multisampling and other high-quality options. And yes, it is also technological way more advanced compared to WED. You can use directional lightmaps with up to 3 lighting-directions stored and you have cells with volumetric lighting information for dynamic objects.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: Machinery_Frank] #382055
09/03/11 21:07
09/03/11 21:07
Berlin, Germany
L
Liamissimo Offline OP
Serious User
Liamissimo  Offline OP
Serious User
L

Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Originally Posted By: Liamissimo
At the end of the days, I don't care if it is a Unity problem or a problem on my side: Unity messes my things up, MED doesn't.

This attitude sounds ok for a consumer, a gamer, maybe a guy, who wants to play on a console without any tweaking, it should just work there.

But we are developers, we want to create something. And when there is a problem with a driver or with a missing tool or whatever, then we should be able to look a bit more into that to find a solution, to create games for the consumers. Bashing and ranting is what gamers do in Gamestar or 4Player forums. We are the good guys intelligent enough to look behind the scenes.

Maybe I am not cool enough to be a developer like the rest but I prefer to work with programs that are working too. Of course I've read all FAQ's, checked the reference, checked the forums and the file formats. But I don't get the point, why I am a just a gamer because I don't want to fiddle with Unity for hours instead of using a software that works like I want it to.

"Ich weiss nicht genau, was Sie vorhaben, aber Sie können keine Triggerzonen durch Ihr Level kullern lassen."
-JCL, 2011
Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: Liamissimo] #382075
09/04/11 06:50
09/04/11 06:50
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Originally Posted By: Liamissimo
[..] I prefer to work with programs that are working [..] I've read all FAQ's, checked the reference, checked the forums and the file formats. [..] I don't want to fiddle [..] for hours instead of using a software that works like I want it to.

Taking that quote into account it is quiet funny that you are using Gamestudio wink

Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: HeelX] #382078
09/04/11 10:44
09/04/11 10:44
Berlin, Germany
L
Liamissimo Offline OP
Serious User
Liamissimo  Offline OP
Serious User
L

Berlin, Germany
Somewhat laugh

"Ich weiss nicht genau, was Sie vorhaben, aber Sie können keine Triggerzonen durch Ihr Level kullern lassen."
-JCL, 2011
Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: Liamissimo] #382092
09/04/11 14:04
09/04/11 14:04
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Unity is sucks !!!

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: Superku] #382793
09/12/11 19:11
09/12/11 19:11
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
well i have checked out unity and all i know is that to make a game on unity would take me two years longer than ong amestudio simply because i would need to re-learn everything.
furthermore i would need to re-socialize with the community there and i am really bad at those things anyway.

i stick to 3dgs because i am lazy. i am sure unity is a great tool but i am just too lazy to adapt...

Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: sPlKe] #383058
09/15/11 15:05
09/15/11 15:05
DEEP 13
badapple Offline
User
badapple  Offline
User

DEEP 13
@spike

no offense here man , but @ every turn you show us how little your "customers" (and i say that loosly) mean to you. learning new tools helps make better games , and i know i would not buy a game from someone who is simply to lazy to learn something new.

and again no offense intended here,i just wanted you to understand how your posts here , can affect your business smile

Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: badapple] #383067
09/15/11 16:26
09/15/11 16:26
Germany
J
jenGs Offline
jenGs  Offline
J

Germany
I like Gamestudio because you can program a game from scratch without any editor. If your imagination is good enough you can make a game without the need of touching the horrible MED or WED.
In Unity you always have to use the (for my taste, lame) editor with it's stange interface.
I don't like the behaviour approach. I like a clear structure where you always have the complete overview about your project.
I love classes, so I only use the c# wrapper for anny projects.

Re: Unity is a dic* [Re: jenGs] #383091
09/15/11 20:09
09/15/11 20:09
ratchet Offline
Expert
ratchet  Offline
Expert

I like Game Studio. I own two other commercial Engines.
I don't have Unity Pro !

But i don't say :
Hey , i failed to import a model on that engine, so it's trash really !
And sorry but lot of people make games each day with the engine : just browse showcase forums to see all games that are successfully made.
And people are 3D artists, so why don't they have your problems laugh ?

And each engine can have bugs like ALL ENGINE IN THE EARTH !
An engine with 0 BUG DON'T EXIST laugh

So come to a more professionnal level : MAKING GAMES !

- Step 1 : Test and buy the engine that suits your goal
- Step 2 : Make a game
- Option 1 : You tried another engine, but you don't like it
or you failed using it : No problem : leave it
or try again, or choose another 3D engine

But don't start saying some professionnal engine is trash when people behind is making a amazing work and with passion laugh

Could it be Torque 3D, Ogre3D, the dead Truevision3D , LeadWerks Engine , C4 engine or other ....

I like a lot A8 , really, so easy to get into , and so much tutorials and great members community indeed laugh

But well saying Unity is bad ... well ... it's an army of developpers behind, with really serious business and multiplatform, consoles , conferences, advertisments everywhere .... Well laugh ...

-------------

I tested UT3 engine, i don't have succed to import a simple model, texture was black ... i made it in 5 seconds in MED ,
so UT3 Engine is really buggy and bad laugh

Don't take it personnaly , i have nothing against you, but learn to be relative, don't be hard with others.

They sell an engine, lot of games are made wih it, they have a demo !they have a free version !
You like , you use !
You don't like , you pass, they have nothing to do and zero interest with a customer that don't like their engine laugh
They would just say :"Go and use whatever you like we have our own business to manage !)

Last edited by ratchet; 09/15/11 20:10.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de