by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,014 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Floating and passing though walls #386578
11/05/11 12:40
11/05/11 12:40
Dallas,TX
Delirium Offline OP
Delirium  Offline OP

Dallas,TX
I'm using the code from AUM 102's RPG because I like it's simplicity. Is there a new procedure to building a world, a floor and enclosing walls, that is different in A8? Why aren't my walls detected? When the player walks to a wall he passes right through it, He detects1 wallls if I use the included wmb from the role playing game in AUM 102. I've also tried the level from AUM 103 and the same thing happens. I build my own level and made the main code load it, but with the unaltered borrowed code from AUM the player starts floating upward. No alterations had been made to the player routine which is an action inside one of the c scripts. t_rpg_inventory, or either of the other lie-C scripts.

To stop floating for testing purposes I
commented out this line, which of course messes up gravity.
but stops him from floating:

//my.z -= c_trace(my.x, temp.x, IGNORE_ME | IGNORE_PASSABLE | USE_BOX) - 70;

and added

my.z = 30;

But why would the gravity work in the included wmb and not mine? The floor I made wasn't a passable block or anything. Does it need a special name or flag set? Why isn't it detected?
There are actually two problems, one, floating, and secondly that the player walks through walls as if they are passable, which they aren't.

Short of disassembling one of the included levels block by block and using my own textures for the floor I don't know what to do.

Learning to write lite-C -- A8 commercial
Re: Floating and passing though walls [Re: Delirium] #386580
11/05/11 13:28
11/05/11 13:28
Australia
EvilSOB Offline
Expert
EvilSOB  Offline
Expert

Australia
Make sure the CREATE-MESHES tick-box in WED is turned ON when compiling a level.
(this tick-box is in the advanced settings page of the compiler panel.

If that still doesnt help, try deleting ALL the level 'object' files except the WMP file itself,
then recompile in case there are some junk settings or corruption in one of those
other files.

By 'object' files, I mean xxx.WMB, xxx.$$M, xxx.$$W, xxx.BAK, xxx.RAW, and xxx.WED.
where XXX is the name of the level.

"There is no fate but what WE make." - CEO Cyberdyne Systems Corp.
A8.30.5 Commercial
Re: Floating and passing though walls [Re: EvilSOB] #386594
11/05/11 22:37
11/05/11 22:37
Dallas,TX
Delirium Offline OP
Delirium  Offline OP

Dallas,TX
Thank you for pointing out the create-meshes setting. Im sure it's right, and important, but when I tried it, it resulted in a level that booted up with a veiwpoint hanging in space, slightly below the floor, with the floor up above and the sky cube below. None of the keys or moving the moouse did anything.

I uninstalled GameStudio 8, and downloaded a fresh copy using the full option. Running that with my key file results in a better program. Now the project manager works, re importing code, wheras before it crashed. Anyway I next got curious about a folder called "Events" (Aum 102? 103? Low and behold it has the perfect starter level for me. Anyone wanting to start with A8 should take a look at it. It has a simple rectangular room with a flat floor, and movement keys for the player which move forward, back and rotate, which I prefer to strafing. Also it has half a dozen event examples and are a tremendous help to learning to write the kind of programs I want to do. I'm learning from it now.
The player walks on the floor fine, and is stopped by the outside walls.
Thank you again for telling me about the mesh setting. I guess some of the blocks the programmer used in this demo didn't have it set, because although the player is stopped at the outside walls he can walk right through other blocks in this demo level.

Last edited by Delirium; 11/06/11 12:30.

Learning to write lite-C -- A8 commercial

Moderated by  HeelX, Lukas, rayp, Rei_Ayanami, Superku, Tobias, TWO, VeT 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de