by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba, Quad), 761 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: You're here why..? [Re: JoGa] #386830
11/09/11 17:35
11/09/11 17:35
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
Sorry Jibb, I said I'm here because I want to learn and see many nice projects instead of meaningless threads <- might be irony. Stop discussing, start doing wink

Re: You're here why..? [Re: PadMalcom] #386834
11/09/11 17:46
11/09/11 17:46
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

5% 1
95% 3

Re: You're here why..? [Re: JoGa] #386836
11/09/11 17:58
11/09/11 17:58
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
I'm part of the first group. Like, obviously. I love creating games, and I really enjoy working out new concepts and trying stuff out. I have many dream projects, and I hold them very close to my heart. Currently, I'm working on two, which is the perfect number for me. With one, I'm experimenting and trying to create gameplay that haven't been seen before.
With the other, I'm experimenting with implementing a story and still have an interesting game. This is really interesting to me.

I very much believe that a shift towards the "I-want-to-make-money" has happened, and I like reading about possible reasons here.

Quote:

A reason for this could also be, that in the time of A3, you had to search for "3D"-modeller quite more than nowaday, now more people are working with engines, which need 3D-models, sounds, .... so a budding market growed up?

Perhaps, but if the amount of modellers were increasing, then that does not imply a shift towards the "#2"-crowd, compared to people helping out for free. Or does it in a way that I'm not seeing?
Also, yeah, you're spot-on with the "posessed"-thing!

Quote:

As to the modeler vs programer...I've done both commercially and for free....it doesn't take long to write code to accomplish a single task.. especially if you've done it before. Art on the other hand takes time to do everything bcs 1 misstep or for forgotten area in previous pipeline steps could result in a lot of lost time

That explains why it's easier to find a coder for a one-time-issue compared to a modeller. It does, however, not explain why it's even easier to find a coder for a complete project than a modeller.

And now, I'll just quickly answer to EVERYTHING else:

Redeemer:
Quote:
I fall squarely in the number three range. The reason I haven't left this place already is because there's too much drama not to participate in.

Well, the amount of drama has, sadly, decreased a lot as well. Perhaps this is just my imagination, of course, but it seems that we had days of more baseless arguing and flames. Oh, how we long for those!

Quote:

But alas a note to the original poster; why are YOU here except for being so judgemental(jk) and trying to get free models?

WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME HUH
; )
Really, I'm just making the observation here -- I've been thinking that for quite some time now. I feel it's justified to state it out loud, and I wanted to know how people explain that.
I'm here because I create games that will totally BLOW EVERYONE'S MIND. And you never know when the next cool thread's gonna happen, you know?

Spike:
Quote:

#1 and most of the time i go through with it.

Really? Don't take this the wrong way - it's not meant as an offense, but I'd have thought that after Ballad of Angels, and given the style of your other free projects (such as your videos), a true continuation of your dream project would have consisted of perhaps working on Ballad of Angels, or something similar, instead of games like Ambages. Don't get me wrong - not meant as a comment on its quality or anything, but I'm sure we can agree that it's style, being more aimed at kids, is different to what you're usually doing, and what you seem to prefer doing in your free time, rendering it something I'd not think would be a "dream project" of yours.

Quote:
I hope, I'm a 'realistic' dreamer who can finish the project once a day.

Don't we all... I guess we better stop kidding ourselves and start facing the possibility that we MAY have bitten of more than we can chew?
Uh, not *US* of course. Like, speaking of "we" in a general sense. Like, "'we' as the human race". I mean, both you and me? TOTALLY gonna finish our games. Right?

Quote:

Error014, plz make a real poll, it would be very interesting to see the fractions summarized, if more ppl read this :-)

I am really incredibly dumb, and thus cannot figure out how to add the poll now (which is later than the original posting time). Like, there's no "add Poll"-button to press.
Of course, someone will now point out that it's RIGHT THERE, making this seem incredibly sad and stupid, but I swear it's not there, and in case that happens, I will blame aliens from outer space.

Gorillas and Bananabombs: Not only do they both have a wikipedia entry, there's also flash-based versions of those on the web. Including the original sound.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: You're here why..? [Re: Error014] #386839
11/09/11 18:16
11/09/11 18:16
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
someone will now point out that it's RIGHT THERE

It's right there, over the wall you can't get past.

Quote:
Gorillas and Bananabombs: Not only do they both have a wikipedia entry, there's also flash-based versions of those on the web. Including the original sound.

Now that's just neat. Oh I remember being a curious 10 year old opening gorillas.bas on his very first DOS computer, and to my surprise the source was actually readable unlike all the other applications I tried to open, searching hopelessly for the source, figuring out how the hell programming worked by adding more random characters to the gibberish. Not much time later I clicked and dragged together a little adventure game. So was my first experience with programming.
But I'm straying off.

OH CRAP I HIT IT WITH ANGLE 80, SPEED 120!

Last edited by Joozey; 11/09/11 18:31.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
You're here why..? #386842
11/09/11 18:31
11/09/11 18:31
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
Poll:

So what kind of group do you belong to MOSTLY?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 11/09/11 18:30
Now, may I chose two? Because that'd rock. I belong to those two the most...
multiple choice, up to 2 choices
Votes accepted starting: 11/09/11 18:30
Last edited by JustSid; 11/09/11 18:35.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: You're here why..? [Re: Error014] #386845
11/09/11 18:45
11/09/11 18:45
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Originally Posted By: Error014
I very much believe that a shift towards the "I-want-to-make-money" has happened, and I like reading about possible reasons here.

You already thought so some years ago, and posted your opinion. laugh
Consider the social changes over the last years.
In Germany it changed this way f.i. to mention only some reasons:
- from free studies to tuition fees;
- the new bacholar studies don't offer some freedom beside your studies
- many people are working in jobs that don't allow you raise a family, now
- a huge number of freelancers - most of the journalists are freelancers f.i. won't earn enough money to get a sufficient pension when they retire.
- a huge number of people, very well educated people, didn't get more than bad paid or un-paid internship, where they got full paid jobs a decade before - and, just to mention it, _while_ doing they same work and having the same responsibilities!

Re: You're here why..? [Re: Pappenheimer] #386849
11/09/11 20:10
11/09/11 20:10
in deinem Kopf
Otter Offline
Otter  Offline

in deinem Kopf
I belong definitely to the first group.
I'm a little dreamer. ^^

Be my UBB-Buddy, without any reason!
Re: You're here why..? [Re: Otter] #386853
11/09/11 21:55
11/09/11 21:55
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
BTW, I belong to all three groups, it just depends on the degree of my tiredness.
When I'm awakened and in a high mood and got enough time to program, I belong to the first group.
When I earn some money with it, you know...
When I'm tired I just can't resist to lurk around in the forums, and get nothing done.

Re: You're here why..? [Re: Pappenheimer] #406321
08/17/12 02:35
08/17/12 02:35
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
1 - Ages 17 to 22: Had just moved on from Click and Play and Multimedia Fusion to the big boy league of 3d engines using scripting. Wanted to prove the world wrong that a 3 person team can create the best MMORPG in the world using indie tools.

2 - Ages 22 to 27: My MMORPG turned bad ass and I said hey, let's go and show it to E3 so I can make some money on the side right? So my team flew there and made this video for it. Publishers insisted I had a full game before they can publish it and didn't want to give me cash to finish it. So I come back home, chop up my game in pieces and give away or sell them the community as Pathfinding, Dialogues and AI tools.

3 - Ages 27 to 30(current): Realized I'm 27 and needed to get a day job because I failed on 1 and 2. Employers don't use gamestudio so I learned actionscript and I'm now making 3d educational games with adobe's AIR. Once a year I lurk around here for random Error014 Morbius posts

Edit - Didn't realize this post was a year old. I was fooling around with the forum search. sssrryyyy

Last edited by LarryLaffer; 08/17/12 02:40. Reason: I'm a gravedigger

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: You're here why..? [Re: LarryLaffer] #406322
08/17/12 04:21
08/17/12 04:21
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

No Problem.
Good to see you around again. I hope its fun projects that you
work on.
I mostly work on/off on several Java projects for a hobby.
Gives me more freedom than a source closed Engine.
And Im not the highend graphics centered guy.

(I expect people will bug you now to talk about your IntenseX project..)

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de