Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/20/24 01:28
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (kzhao, AndrewAMD, bigsmack, 7th_zorro), 869 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Building PC, need help/recommendation #394226
02/11/12 00:58
02/11/12 00:58
England
M
MrGuest Offline OP
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline OP
Serious User
M

England
Will soon be ordering my new PC, advice would be greatful

CPU - AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Eight Core 8150 Black Edition 3.60Ghz (Socket AM3+) Processor
Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3
GPU - ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX 560 - 1GB DDR5 256Bit HDMI/Dual DVI/DP DirectCu OC PCI-E Graphics Card
RAM - Corsair X79 Memory Dominator 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz CAS 9 XMP DHX Quad Channel Desktop
HDD - Western Digital Caviar 2TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM
PSU - Inc in Case
Case - CT 1014 GAMING ATX PC COMPUTER TOWER CASE & 650W SATA PSU BLACK
Monitor - Benq G925HDA (x2)
ODrive - BDR-S06XLB 12x BluRay RW / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black
Keyboard - Blaze K3285 Multimedia Slim USB Keyboard - Black [BL-K3285]
Mouse - Blaze M0602 Laser Mouse - Black [BL-M0602-BLACK]
OS - Windows 7 Home 64bit

Anyone able to tell me the cables I'll need to get this thing working? Or any changes to components?

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Building PC, need help/recommendation [Re: MrGuest] #394243
02/11/12 11:05
02/11/12 11:05
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
I only found the case on ebay, but if it is the right one, your motherboard won't fit into it, as it is made for Micro-ATX not ATX.
[ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CT-1014-GA...K-/110789366204 ]

The GPU is overkill for the CPU, just saying.
If you are able to wait a bit, I would get the "new" Intel CPUs in April, if not, I would choose a 2500K or 2600K Intel-Core CPU.

It is also a good idea to buy an extra CPU-fan/cooler for less noise.

Western Green HDDs tend to break after just a few months, better invest in a Samsung F3 or similar. [well known problem in external hdds or Apple Time Machines]

Usually you won't need any additional cables, as long as your motherboard and PSU have cables included. But if you chose another case, I would also chose a modular PSU, as you save space and don't have "useless" cables in your case.

Re: Building PC, need help/recommendation [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #394245
02/11/12 11:19
02/11/12 11:19
Damocles_ Offline
Expert
Damocles_  Offline
Expert

Is there any "PC components lego" program, where you can simulate
or at least make an educated guess how well certein components will fit together?

I have like no idea about all these specs.

I only know I need a USB Port for my mouse...

Re: Building PC, need help/recommendation [Re: MrGuest] #394247
02/11/12 11:36
02/11/12 11:36
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
The only cable that might be missing is a DVI-cable to connect the monitor to your PC - I don't know if BenQ includes them for their monitors...

Apart from that: What do you want to do with your new PC? I wouldn't really recommend AMD's FX processros as they turned out really bad and often even are slower than the old X6 CPUs making Intel the far better choice here. So unless you didn't check that your workload works fine on the Bulldozer architecture you should prefer an Intel i5-2500 or i7-2600 CPU depending on your needs. Also if you want to stick to the FX processor you might want to choose a cheaper mainboard. There's no need to buy this high-end Crosshair board. You can get mainboards for nearly half as much without losing any quality or performance...

As a final comment - do you have any more info about that case and its PSU? I'd have an eye on buying a quality PSU as that's a rather important component of your system and at the same time you'd be fine with a way smaller PSU - you won't get any close to the 650W that PSU delivers (or at least is advertised with as cheap ones don't always deliver what they're advertised with). You probably won't even get close to a 300W power consumption...

Re: Building PC, need help/recommendation [Re: Toast] #394264
02/11/12 15:36
02/11/12 15:36
England
M
MrGuest Offline OP
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline OP
Serious User
M

England
Thanks for the quick replies,

The PC is my first attempt at building a complete system since 1996 and there's a lot of difference in the variety of products now available.

I've just done some benchmark reviews and picked ones which run well and which aren't stupidly priced.

I'll have another look through the components and go through the Intel route rather than AMD though waiting until April will be like delay Christmas until February (though this seems like a really good thing this time of year).

I'll be creating and playing games on the new PC and ideally don't want to be needing to replace/upgrade it for another 3-5 years. Being able to run programs and games that'll be released within the next 3 years is a must.

I've tried looking for a component by component compatibility checker but haven't succeeded thus far.

Does anyone one have anything to say about overclocking, should I get components which are or steer clear?

Thanks again for all the help laugh

Re: Building PC, need help/recommendation [Re: MrGuest] #394271
02/11/12 15:49
02/11/12 15:49
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
If you take the GTX560 I would recommend you the 448 core version, and apply some overclocking, will give you a few more fps as long as your cpu does not bottleneck the system.

If you take the 2500K/2600K go for a good motherboard [Asus, EVGA, etc] and you can overclock them easily to 4GHZ and more wink

(Oh, and make sure that you motherboard fits in your case, and buy a quality-modular PSU wink )

Re: Building PC, need help/recommendation [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #394289
02/11/12 17:09
02/11/12 17:09
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Well waiting until April might be a good idea not just for Intel's new Ivy Bridge CPUs (the biggest advantage there will be even less powert consumption rather than great performance increases while small speedups most certainly will be there) but also because of the new GPU generation. AMD currently is releasing their (currently overpriced) cards and will have a complete portfolio out in March while NVIDIA will start pumping out new cards (which also will be in the price region of your interest) in April. So unless your need of the new PC is really urgent I'd wait...

If you're interested in overclocking choosing an Intel CPU is even more appealing because as Rei already said there is a huge clock potential Intel doesn't use (in order not to totally crush AMD) giving you potentially 20-30% higher performance when overclocking. You want to go for the CPUs with the "K" ending then as those can be easily overclocked by setting a multiplicator for the CPUs clock the way you want it. As you're aiming for a gaming machine I'd stick to the i5 CPUs as the i7 ones with their HT technology, which simulates additional cores to make better usage of the cores really there on the chip, are of next to zero use in games (and sometimes even counterproductive). So save your money here and stick to the i5 processors...

Also another tip for your RAM: First - do you really need 16GB? Apart from Battlefield 3 I know of no game that can really make use of more than 4GB Ram thus making a set of two 4GB modules (i.e. 8GB total) a perfect set for the foreseeable future. Also stick to DDR3-1333 Ram as faster modules won't give you a higher performance with today's processors. You also should check that they run with 1,5V voltages as higher ones can cause trouble especially with Intel systems. I'd also recommend not to buy modules with fancy heatsinks. They are not needed (unless you want a window in your case and something neat to look at) and can interfere with a better CPU cooler which I'd highly recommend not only in general for noise reasons but especially for cooling an overclocked processor (the boxed cooler that comes with the CPU just gives you the bare minimum in both cooling performance and noise level). I could recommend some CPU-coolers but there's something to think about: Those things got quite tall today so when buying a new case you should check if it gives you enough space. So could you write down what case exactly you were thinking of? "CT 1014 GAMING ATX PC COMPUTER TOWER CASE" doesn't say much to me. Is "CT" the vendor name? I know CoolerMaster but that'd be CM - apart from that "CT" might stand for Chieftec but you really should type this one out...

Oh and apart from the graphics card talk that happened until now - for a good gaming system you don't really want a GTX 560 because that's really no good graphics card. Even without waiting for the new cards coming in the next few weeks you can get a far more performant card without paying much more (especially when e.g. using the proposed savings on the motherboard and RAM here)...

Last edited by Toast; 02/11/12 17:13.
Re: Building PC, need help/recommendation [Re: Toast] #394292
02/11/12 17:24
02/11/12 17:24
England
M
MrGuest Offline OP
Serious User
MrGuest  Offline OP
Serious User
M

England
Thanks again both for your posts.

I've sent an email off to overclockers for some of their recommendations though know they're going to be looking at it from a business point of view.

The email looked a bit like (the two monitors aren't really on the way) smirk

A huge variation in my original post now going down the I5 route. If either of you are able to quote\build\resource components for a PC which will play any game without struggling and boot before I've turned it on (obviously I jest) donations of appreciation will be sent your way laugh

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de