by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (SBGuy, Quad), 768 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: Toast] #396814
03/10/12 22:35
03/10/12 22:35
Canada
WretchedSid Offline
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline
Expert

Canada
@Alpha, don't mix up language and API, they are two very different pairs of shoes!

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: WretchedSid] #396816
03/10/12 22:56
03/10/12 22:56
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

yes! the gamestudio api is easy. i wouldn't really call lite-c easy. certainly not easier than the unity languages.

there are many nasty traps for beginners. it also is no modern language. no automatic memory management, no standard library with nice high level data structures, no useable debugger,...

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: ventilator] #396819
03/11/12 00:38
03/11/12 00:38
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:
no automatic memory management
I still consider this a plus.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: JibbSmart] #396822
03/11/12 01:04
03/11/12 01:04
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

lite-c isn't really meant for writing operating system kernels or render engine cores or low level stuff like that. for gameplay code managed languages are much more productive.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: ventilator] #396828
03/11/12 01:58
03/11/12 01:58
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Managed languages tend to (from what I've read, and from what I know might vary from language to language) do their garbage collection in one go rather than regularly and over time. This is great for event-based applications where a sudden stutter will go unnoticed, but doesn't suit applications where a smooth framerate throughout is desirable.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: JibbSmart] #396831
03/11/12 08:41
03/11/12 08:41
A
alpha_strike Offline
Serious User
alpha_strike  Offline
Serious User
A

O.k. let me tell it with my words. I use gamestudio with the attitude of a hobby developer. I am no kernel programmer, I always use script languages like action script / lingo / liteC and now, of course javaScript... it is this, what you mean, sid, "API" - yes, then this is my way. And now I am totally fascinated of the editor comfort of unity. I worked long time and still work sometimes with Cinema4D... and I just thought, that the unity concept comes near to these 3d-Applications. This was totally cool for me.

And I think... my way is the way of the majority hobby developers. If I would be a programmer, why should I work with an engine like gameStudio or Unity?

O.k. let me tell you more. Since months I am owner of the UPro-Vesion but with my rare spare time, I have a fucking hard work to learn javaScript. Every day less then maybe one hour. And I personally think that the JavaScript System is a true challenge.

So I am very proud that a publisher gave me a contract for my last game this year.
My last project was made with gameStudio. And - I mentioned it before - now I work on an adventure... but I saw, that I am not familiar enough with Javascript - so I decided to work it out with gamestudio... again.

But my target is clear... the final change to unity.
So all I want to say... donīt blend yourself with an AAA-Bookcover. As a normal scripter it will be harder to master javaScript then liteC. Just my personal opinion as a hobby developer with over 10 commercial published hobby products on the market.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: alpha_strike] #396836
03/11/12 10:12
03/11/12 10:12
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

At Dexsoft we are working on some games again. And both of us, Dejan an me did programming and art. We found that it is as easy as Gamestudio. JavaScript is quite powerful, has quite some object oriented options. And it produces only little code. But the same is possible with even more options in C#.

The interesting part is that Dejan did not even needed tutorials. He said that his knowledge of Gamestudio is enough to program Unity.

I can recommend you a very easy beginner tutorial that helped me a lot (JavaScript):
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/26785-Unity-Jump-Start-Video-Tutorials
With this course you have a game ready in a few hours (including 4 scenes, GUI, player, enemy, win and lose and projectile-logics, colliders, counters).

The same game created in C# with a few more details and better programming comments from 3dBuzz:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/37093-Over-7-hours-of-Unity-Training-Videos-Download-them-now!

Besides that there is a good Unity course from the Walker Boys that also explains JavaScript in detail:
http://www.walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: Machinery_Frank] #396839
03/11/12 11:06
03/11/12 11:06
A
alpha_strike Offline
Serious User
alpha_strike  Offline
Serious User
A

Wow... maybe my learning curve is not so progressive then yours, no problem with that. But you gave me the very honorable tip for this code based book "Game Development by example" and I must admit... my learning donīt stop by...say... page 108 - remember? The problem with Quaternion.Slerp();.I did not stop by fucking in this code... I switched to the scripting reference and tryed out to understand, what the code does. The same I did with the autolayout of Gui Systems. Even such a small code like "GuiText"... Everytime, I did a clue what the engine is doing, I just switched to the reference and tryed out every single function of a class. ...and just look at these amazing tons of functions of the GUI-Class. I could not understand all the functions in 1 hour. Congrats, if somebody is able to study the stuff in a few hours. I am not.

btw.Thanks for the new tuts!

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: JibbSmart] #396840
03/11/12 11:13
03/11/12 11:13
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
Managed languages tend to (from what I've read, and from what I know might vary from language to language) do their garbage collection in one go rather than regularly and over time. This is great for event-based applications where a sudden stutter will go unnoticed, but doesn't suit applications where a smooth framerate throughout is desirable.

yes, it depends on the type of the garbage collector and just like with manual memory managment you shouldn't cause the allocation of a lot of memory in inner loops. but it is no big deal. i think in unity there also is a function for forcing the collection of garbage at the intervals you want.

unityscript has nothing to do with javascript. javascript is something totally different. you could also call lite-c javascript. the similarity is about the same. laugh and unityscript for sure isn't harder than lite-c. the api is the difference. i agree that the unity api is more overwhelming at first.

i wouldn't use unityscript though. proprietary languages lock you in.

Re: Unity iOS/Android basic editions for free (until 8th April) [Re: alpha_strike] #396842
03/11/12 11:55
03/11/12 11:55
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: alpha_strike
Congrats, if somebody is able to study the stuff in a few hours. I am not.

Our approach is just different. We did not try to understand every API command. We just made a 2d-physics game and started to work on a 2.5d adventure prototype. So we dont need to know every option of the engine at this moment.

Our work is always more goal-driven. We dont have unlimited time and try to do as much as we can with the given resources we can spend. This is just an economical approach.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de