by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, SBGuy, TipmyPip, ozgur), 923 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 #401309
05/16/12 14:47
05/16/12 14:47
T
TechMuc Offline OP
User
TechMuc  Offline OP
User
T

Hi there,

Okay as already mentioned in another thread..i restarted the development of my lovely little editor (also called liteEditor). Probably just because i'm so totally jealous that Templebauer also has build up an own editor.. So i put around 1 week of work into the new version (finally version 0.02).

What's new? I think mainly stability. I fixed quite a lot of issues, implemented the boost threading library to speed up the multi-threading in the editor and at the same time make it more secure.

Download the latest version from: http://www.dev-software.com/led/liteEdit_020.exe or just start your old copy (v 0.01) of led and press "update" tongue.

Please give it a try. I know there have been a lot of bugs and crashs in the old version - and probably there will be some issues also in the new version. But it should be more stable than ever (at least wink ).

Screenshots:

project screen (automatic resolving of includes)

debugging features

auto complete

and so much more laugh
have fun with the new editor.

Greetings Timo

Last edited by TechMuc; 05/16/12 14:57.
Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: TechMuc] #401310
05/16/12 14:57
05/16/12 14:57
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
another thing to test laugh

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: sivan] #401388
05/18/12 12:05
05/18/12 12:05
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
hi,
I've just tried you editor (it could be an enormous job!) and have the following comments:
- the window structure is fine, setting fonts, -diag, -nx is okay, finally I found them. also I was able to somehow switch off line wrapping.
- an easy access to acknex.chm is fine too, but it is German only, and I would need English. mouse wheel does not work in help window (at least at the moment for me).
- one important thing I cannot find is comment/uncomment selected lines. without that I cannot live laugh
- another thing is to close/open code parts between #ifdef/#ifndef/#else/#end. it is also very important for me, when I have to test more script versions for the same task.
- I got neither desktop nor start menu icons after installation, it would be fine to have them.
- the installer could have an option for file type association too. (some time ago I used a free install creator that have had these features)
for the first sight I have these observations, hopefully helpful.

Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: sivan] #401392
05/18/12 13:40
05/18/12 13:40
T
TechMuc Offline OP
User
TechMuc  Offline OP
User
T

thank you so much for your comments sivan, they are extremly helpful for me.

Quote:
an easy access to acknex.chm is fine too, but it is German only, and I would need English. mouse wheel does not work in help window (at least at the moment for me).

Missing mouse wheel support is a bug, i'll fix in the next version. There will also be an english help file in the next version.

Quote:
one important thing I cannot find is comment/uncomment selected lines. without that I cannot live

ha really? I never use this function, but yeah, i'll implemenet this. should be pretty easy. What would you expect here?

1) button to toggle comments? (automatically removes or adds comments, dependend on the line selection)
2) one button for commenting, one for uncmmenting (if there is already a comment (e.g. //, the editor will make a double comment)

Quote:
another thing is to close/open code parts between #ifdef/#ifndef/#else/#end. it is also very important for me, when I have to test more script versions for the same task.

You're absolutly right, that's a big missing feature. Will think about, how to implement it. Thanks for the hint.

Quote:
I got neither desktop nor start menu icons after installation, it would be fine to have them.

Will be implemented laugh

Quote:
the installer could have an option for file type association too.
I'll implement this feature in far future, when the editor is actually good enough, that i'll try to force the people to use it tongue

Thanks again for the helpful and constructive comment.

Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: TechMuc] #401393
05/18/12 13:52
05/18/12 13:52
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
hi,
just like in SED, one button for comment and another for uncomment is perfect - this avoids the problem of switching already commented lines to uncommented, when commenting a section (real comment lines) - I prefer // on each line beginning than /* ... */

Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: sivan] #401395
05/18/12 14:39
05/18/12 14:39
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

I used your application 10 minutes, here are my first remarks:

- if you abbreviate your app, call it "LED" in uppercase - that is more similar to the other Gamestudio apps, if you wanted that
- it is called "recent files", not "rescent"
- I really like highlighting of all other text instances of a selected text, but when I click elsewhere (not selecting), it doesn't go away.
- you are sorting header and source files. It would be cool if you could an option "open header" when you right-click a source file and vice versa
- I opened a script and ran it by pressing F5 - from where do you get the engine path?
- I would like to create and store different engines from which I would like to select with a drop down box. So this way I can run a script with a beta but chouse a stable release for compilation
- I ran a script and got the following errors in the box at the bottom of the screen

Error (16:42:36): error loading settings C:\Users\Christian\AppData\Roaming\liteEditor\led\led.config. Error reason file I/O error, line 0 in File settings.cpp (Line 950; Function ledSettingsClass::load)
Error (16:42:36): error loading settings C:\Users\Christian\AppData\Roaming\liteEditor\code_metrics_code_metrics.config. Error reason file I/O error, line 0 in File settings.cpp (Line 950; Function ledSettingsClass::load)
Error (16:42:36): error loading settings C:\Users\Christian\AppData\Roaming\liteEditor\ftp_server_ftp_settings.config. Error reason file I/O error, line 0 in File settings.cpp (Line 950; Function ledSettingsClass::load)

- the create file dialog is messed up, why do I have to select litec as language?
- plus, I can't select if this is going to be a .c, a .h, an .fx file or whatsoever
- I would like to have a create .c/.h file-pair, example: if I want to create a .c/.h pair with the name "player" 2 files are generated: player.c and player.h with the following structure

player.c:

Code:
#ifndef player_c
#define player_c

#include "player.h"

// insert code here

#endif /* player_c */

player.h:

Code:
#ifndef player_h
#define player_h

// insert variables, prototypes, etc. here

#include "player.c"

#endif /* player_h */

- I don't understand the way you insert "unknown" files into the tree [EDIT] if I want to add a file to the same level of a tree that you apparently parsed from an opened script, I simply can't do that
- I can not open the gamestudio help???

However, this looks very good to me. Unfortunately, as long as you don't streamline it towards Gamestudio and add custom use-case specific things, I will stick to my favorite editor (Programmer's Notepad) which I have customized so that it fits my needs.

P.S: you really have to take care of the file creation, it is very uncomfortable to me.

Last edited by HeelX; 05/18/12 14:41.
Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: HeelX] #401398
05/18/12 15:38
05/18/12 15:38
T
TechMuc Offline OP
User
TechMuc  Offline OP
User
T

Quote:
if you abbreviate your app, call it "LED" in uppercase - that is more similar to the other Gamestudio apps, if you wanted that

LED looks so ugly frown

Quote:
it is called "recent files", not "rescent"

thanks

Quote:
you are sorting header and source files. It would be cool if you could an option "open header" when you right-click a source file and vice versa

will be added in the next version. Will also add a "shortcut" (ALT+O) to switch between those two files.

Quote:
I really like highlighting of all other text instances of a selected text, but when I click elsewhere (not selecting), it doesn't go away.

Hmm jip. Seems to be a dumb bug. I'll fix that.

Quote:
I opened a script and ran it by pressing F5 - from where do you get the engine path?

From the registry. Though you can change it, in the settings of the lite-c langauge. I'll add a way to use several gamestudio installations, but, as this is a little bit more compliacated, this will not be implemented in the next alpha release.

Quote:
- I ran a script and got the following errors in the box at the bottom of the screen

Thanks. Those errors should be gone at the next start of led, but I admit they are really ugly laugh I'll remove those error messages, as they are just "intended" for the first start of led.

Quote:
- the create file dialog is messed up, why do I have to select litec as language?
- plus, I can't select if this is going to be a .c, a .h, an .fx file or whatsoever

Yes i admit, that this dialog is very user-unfriendly. I'll have to think of something to solve that problem. Probably I'll just skip the initial dialog, and determine the used programming language (might be hlsl, a txt file or litec) from the extension you choose.

Quote:
- I would like to have a create .c/.h file-pair, example: if I want to create a .c/.h pair with the name "player" 2 files are generated: player.c and player.h with the following structure

Yep would be pretty cool, and should be very easy to implement.

Quote:
- I don't understand the way you insert "unknown" files into the tree [EDIT] if I want to add a file to the same level of a tree that you apparently parsed from an opened script, I simply can't do that

Actually there is no way in this version frown I fixed some bugs when adding a new file yesterday, but it's still kinda buggy (that's why i disabled this feature in the current version). Will make it to 0.21

Quote:

View --> Help.

Greetings and thanks a lot for your help Christian,
Timo

Last edited by TechMuc; 05/18/12 15:39.
Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: TechMuc] #401402
05/18/12 16:20
05/18/12 16:20
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Originally Posted By: TechMuc
Quote:

View --> Help.
Uh, this is terrible! Why don't you open the original file in the CHM browser? Just execute C:\Windows\hh.exe with the absolute path to the manual file passed as parameter, like C:\Windows\hh.exe G:\dev\engines\A8.32.0\3dgs_manual.chm. This way you stay independent from the manual in the case the user uses an updated manual.

By the way, something like

Quote:
This help file was created with an unregistered evaluation copy of Help & Manual. © EC Software. All rights reserved. This message will not appear if you compile this help file with the registered version of Help & Manual.

looks really.. well.. it should'nt be there wink

Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: HeelX] #401404
05/18/12 16:40
05/18/12 16:40
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
MasterQ32 Offline
Expert
MasterQ32  Offline
Expert

Germany, BW, Stuttgart
check for internet connection and then use the online manual instead of the local one wink
you should also add an option to select more help files (anet, gstnet, lbgui, ...)

Visit my site: www.masterq32.de
Re: liteEditor - Development Thread - v0.020 [Re: MasterQ32] #401406
05/18/12 16:56
05/18/12 16:56
T
TechMuc Offline OP
User
TechMuc  Offline OP
User
T

Quote:
Uh, this is terrible! Why don't you open the original file in the CHM browser? Just execute C:\Windows\hh.exe with the absolute path to the manual file passed as parameter, like C:\Windows\hh.exe G:\dev\engines\A8.32.0\3dgs_manual.chm. This way you stay independent from the manual in the case the user uses an updated manual.

Yes, but this does not allow me to show context-sensitive help. The current help system is much more intelligent than e.g. the SED one, as it not only shows the help listed for the selected word (e.g. pan_create or whatever), but also shows the right help file for context sensitive attributes (e.g. flags).

Quote:
you should also add an option to select more help files (anet, gstnet, lbgui, ...)

This is already possible. All help references are stored in a "complex" XML file, and can be easily enhanced. I'll take care to add the most important ones (anet, gstnet and maybe lbgui) - for others the author of the plugin has to take care of it.

Quote:

Yeaaah..you're right laugh

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de