by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dr_panther, 7th_zorro), 1,203 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: myrlyn68] #36311
12/15/04 04:53
12/15/04 04:53
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Quote:

Until Mac makes a concerted effort to target the home consumer (which they haven't and never really have even looked at) it doesn't make too much sense in investing a lot of time and money into Macs.

Mark this on your calendar. I disagree with Myrlyn (Damn, that name is hard for a Dyslexic like me to type).

iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, are really easy to use products that are targeted at the home user. The Microsoft equivilants suck the big egg. I think the MAC and its software are well suited for the home consumer.

Doug, a Mac port would be welcomed by me. Right now for me to bid on educational products it has to be MAC and PC. Which leaves me with Blender (free), Shockwave / Director ($1500), Torque ($500), and VirTools($10,000).

Make A7 support OpenGL and then you will have an easier port of 3DGS to the MAC, charge us goofs that need MAC 3DGS $1500, it would be worth it because we would have a better product than Shockwave Director.

You sell 100 MAC copies and hopefully the 3DGS team will make a tiddy profit.

I am sure you could get alot of Director users to add 3DGS to their tool set if there was a MAC version. Add 500 more 3DGS Mac users from them Director cross over.

Ken

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: myrlyn68] #36312
12/15/04 06:08
12/15/04 06:08
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area

Quote:

Would they really fair too well in a 3DMark test against a comparably priced PC?

I would say no. Just like Apple iPods don't fair well against comparably priced mp3 players. Apple charges a premium price for their products because they can. Which brings me to this:

Quote:

Until Mac makes a concerted effort to target the home consumer (which they haven't and never really have even looked at) it doesn't make too much sense in investing a lot of time and money into Macs.

The Mac is a great home computer, easy to use and very few problems, but it isn't targeted at "Joe Sixpack" or the Walmart crowed. The kind of person who buys the new G5 for home use is the same person who buys Bose speakers and drives a BMW Z4 (at least that's the impression I get when I visit their stores).

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Doug] #36313
12/15/04 06:30
12/15/04 06:30
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Quote:

The Mac is a great home computer, easy to use and very few problems, but it isn't targeted at "Joe Sixpack" or the Walmart crowed. The kind of person who buys the new G5 for home use is the same person who buys Bose speakers and drives a BMW Z4 (at least that's the impression I get when I visit their stores).

Then they can afford $1500 for the MAC version of 3DGS ..........

You may be missing a good market to expand into, supporting the MAC creative crowd would be a good money maker.

Ken

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Nardulus] #36314
12/15/04 08:12
12/15/04 08:12
Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
Quote:

The kind of person who buys the new G5 for home use is the same person who buys Bose speakers and drives a BMW Z4 (at least that's the impression I get when I visit their stores).

That may be who they are targeting, but for the most part they get starving artists who are eating ramen in order to save up for software for their Mac (which put them out of their house to begin with...). There was a Forrester Group study a few months back which examined users of various software and hardware and 75% of Macs are being used in business situations...most of them being used in the medical industries (apparently a lot of the firmware for MRI and CAT scan machines was written to interface with Apple only...). 12% are being used in education systems...a large portion of that being from a huge buyout that the federal government did a few years back to prevent Apple from going under...again (they did the same thing in the early 90s). The remainder is relegated to surfing the web and sending emails. I don't remember the exact demographic on it - but it was around 50% of the home users surveyed make less than $50K. Granted Wintel systems had a higher portion in the lower bracket...but when you control 80%+ of the market, you can afford to slum a little.

Quote:

iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes

The secret of their success? They run on Windows.

With the exception of the iPod (and honestly the HP version of the iPod has been recieving better reviews than the Apple iPod), there really hasn't been much that Apple has done in the past 15 years that really has shown any in roads towards the home user.

Quote:

Right now for me to bid on educational products it has to be MAC and PC. Which leaves me with Blender (free), Shockwave / Director ($1500), Torque ($500), and VirTools($10,000).

I feel your pain there. Although I have not been dealing with the educational contracts recently - the government made a number of bulk purchases of Apple systems over the years. A lot of them have made it to schools, but there are a lot which have been set up in various other areas as well (imagery analysis is my big gripe right now...). When I make bids on the contract I either have to develop for the systems in place (Apples and PCs...depending on the location) or figure the cost of replacing the unsupported system into the contract...as of yet, I have been doing the later.

Quote:

You sell 100 MAC copies and hopefully the 3DGS team will make a tiddy profit.

I am sure you could get alot of Director users to add 3DGS to their tool set if there was a MAC version. Add 500 more 3DGS Mac users from them Director cross over.

Could get all the people who want a OpenGL (and OpenAL, and new network code...) version of 3DGS and would be willing to pay for it to sign a petition and what version they would be willing to buy. If it gets up anywhere near those numbers I would bet Conitec would take another close look at doing the port.

However unlike a lot of software like Silo (good software that had a massive Mac crowd clammering on a daily basis for the port of it) I just don't see it happening...

Quote:

supporting the MAC creative crowd would be a good money maker.

Nah, you want to support Windows and the rest of us greed driven money mongers.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: myrlyn68] #36315
12/15/04 09:19
12/15/04 09:19
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

supporting the MAC creative crowd would be a good money maker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, you want to support Windows and the rest of us greed driven money mongers.

When I worked at Macromedia, we sold a heck of a lot of MAC Authorware and Director products it was a 50 / 50, Mac / PC split. The user base is very large, (tens of thousands for Director MAC users). As a company (3DGS) you need to expand markets to increase and maintian revenue. There are some plump MAC users out there that would spend big coin to get the 3D development capabilities of 3DGS.

OPENGL 3DGS would be a great start.

Ken

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Nardulus] #36316
12/15/04 11:53
12/15/04 11:53
California
Daedelus Offline
Senior Developer
Daedelus  Offline
Senior Developer

California
My experience has shown me that the "Mac creative crowd" is typically not the "programmer" or "dev" crowd. The 2% Niche market of Mac users tend to care less about anything that involves code let alone a right-mouse button.
This is why the Mac tends to dominate in the design or graphics related fields.

If there is any debate about what to port GS over to, I think the energy would be better spent on solutions to output from PCs to console game formats.

Mac users that do program, can buy a copy of Virtual PC running windows XP and use the existing Gamestudio software on their Mac.
Virtual PC Software

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Daedelus] #36317
12/15/04 12:44
12/15/04 12:44
NY USA
R
Red Ocktober Offline
Developer
Red Ocktober  Offline
Developer
R

NY USA
Quote:

the "Mac creative crowd" is typically not the "programmer" or "dev" crowd

well maybe part of the reason for that is the lack of the same low cost, indie tools that Windows users have...

just a lil news of interest... the people at Blitz seem to think that the Mac market may be worth going after, in spite of the expert opinion here... they just released BlitzMax, and the first released version is for the Mac (OSX) with the Windows version to follow shortly...

so, while all the PC/Win fanboys walk around with their heads up theres, in supreme denial and self assured ignorance, Blitz ventures into the wide open market with a low cost indie dev tool for those other computerists...

hey... i really don't wanna get dragged into a Mac vs Windows thing... i think it's kinda silly... i have at least 3 (usualy 5) Win PCs running here at any given time, and 2 operational Macs (4 total) running...

all of em networked... all of em a pain... tell me what's so good about either one...

plus, i just got through 'spanking' one group of fanboys and sent them to bed without their suppers... can i at least let a few days pass before i have ta pull out the ole whip again.

i mean... like man, it's not like Bill is paying any of you to evangelize Windows... or maybe he is... that's the only reason i can see for all these fanatics who jump to the defense of the Windows Homeland whenever the mere mention of Macintosh is made...

god... what's wrong with you people...

besides... if you really need someone to make fun of that bad... well, i'm sure we can find a few Linux users that need to have their head shaved, and then tarred and feathered and run around town on a donkey

--Mike

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Red Ocktober] #36318
12/15/04 13:12
12/15/04 13:12
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

plus, i just got through 'spanking' one group of fanboys and sent them to bed without their suppers

It's true. Him and Michael Jackson had a good time of it too.

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Red Ocktober] #36319
12/15/04 13:44
12/15/04 13:44
California
Daedelus Offline
Senior Developer
Daedelus  Offline
Senior Developer

California
Quote:

i mean... like man, it's not like Bill is paying any of you to evangelize Windows... or maybe he is... that's the only reason i can see for all these fanatics who jump to the defense of the Windows Homeland whenever the mere mention of Macintosh is made...

I was merely pointing out the possibility of running Gamestudio on a Mac.
Oh, and Bill doesen't need myself or anyone of us "windows fanatics" to defend him.
The numbers speak for themselves

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Daedelus] #36320
12/15/04 14:09
12/15/04 14:09
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

When I worked at Macromedia, we sold a heck of a lot of MAC Authorware and Director products it was a 50 / 50, Mac / PC split. The user base is very large, (tens of thousands for Director MAC users). As a company (3DGS) you need to expand markets to increase and maintian revenue. There are some plump MAC users out there that would spend big coin to get the 3D development capabilities of 3DGS.

There are a lot of graphic designers using MACs or at least there used to be. I was trained on one and in those days it was pounded in our heads that the MAC versions of Adobe/Macromedia software was superior to the PC ones. The fact that you could open your PC files on the MACs in the college lab was nice if you owned the software for your PC, too. Also, the commercial presses required MAC ZIP disks(back then..don't know about now). However, near the end of my college years it was becoming apparent, because of the increases in PC technology(speed being a big one), that the PC side of things had caught up, and I think the balance was shifting or has shifted in its favor. Even Kinkos dropped their Mac machines, at least in all the ones I've been in recently.

It's kind of like back in the days of the Amiga. It was built for graphics and in its day, if you were into desktop video production, that's what you used(good ol' Video Toasters). My other college lab(going way back) had a video production program and I was trained on the Amigas. We used good old Deluxe Paint, Imagine(for 3D), and a couple other multimedia programs. However, Amigas vanished and PCs got faster and they now use PCs in that lab today.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de