by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,119 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Doug] #36391
12/18/04 10:38
12/18/04 10:38
Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
Quote:

Re-reading your question: Are you talking about 50 people pooling their money to fund a single contract? I'm not sure how that would work without getting into the whole vaporware thing, but if you could somehow convince that many people to fund a single project, then we might be able to do something with that...

This is what I have been refering to (and prodding users towards). As opposed to saying "I want Mac" form a consortium of like minded individuals to pool resources. Those individuals approach Conitec as a single entity (with the necessary funds) and enter into the contract with that group. I have worked in situations similiar to this (on both sides of the issue, I did a database application for a group of libraries in California and I have also entered into various "group buy" situations) and it has always worked out quite well.

I also agree that clearly defined contract work is the best way to go - but one problem that exists with the apparent 3DGS community (I say apparent because it is obvious that a lot is done by people who do not use the forums) is that they tend to not have very deep pockets. While most of them could manage a few hundred or a few thousand dollars - it would seem that the number of people who could afford the $50,000 price tag is pretty small...and those who could afford it and are willing to pay it is even smaller.

Looking at alternative methods to accept work like this similiar to what I stated above would seem like a good business path for Conitec.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: myrlyn68] #36392
12/18/04 13:34
12/18/04 13:34
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
2002 Report from Scholastic about MAC penatration in Education.

IMHO Educational games is fertile ground for indie developers. 3DGS is one of the top indie tools..........

Quote:

Education Publisher Says Apple Has Largest Installed User Base In Education
by Bryan Chaffin, 4:45 PM EST, November 18th, 2002

Scholastic, the US publishers of the Harry Potter empire, the same company that decided to edit the books for US distribution to be less British, have released a study concerning US education market share in the computer industry. According to the study, Apple is the single largest vendor in the education base in terms of installed user base. Apple holds some 33% of that installed base, beating out Dell's 18% installed user base. The study also points out that the other 66% of the market not covered by Apple is controlled by the Wintel camp as a whole, and that Dell is thrashing Apple in terms of new education sales by some 35% to 21% of purchases. From the study:

Computer Brands: Macintosh is the single most common brand of instructional computer in schools today, but Wintel computers (from all makers combined) constitute more than two-thirds of the installed base. Of Wintel computers, Dell Computer is the most common brand with an estimated 18% of the installed base. Dell is also the leading brand in district plans to purchase instructional computers for the 2002-2003 school year, with a 35% share, beating out Apple's Macintosh brand (21%) for the lead.
Wireless: Almost one-half of the districts surveyed (43%) report current ownership of wireless devices. In addition, one-third of all districts report they will purchase wireless devices this year. As a sign of this growing trend, 9% of districts plan to buy all wireless computers this school year. Of wireless devices, 72.5% are laptops.
According to the methodology published with the results, the study was conducted by interviewing some 450 participants via the telephone. You can read the full report at Scholastic's Web site. The report has additional information on wireless use in schools. Thanks to Observer Scott Wilson for the heads up on the study.

The Mac Observer Spin:
There aren't any real secrets in this study, at least not to many Mac users who have long known that Apple maintained a much larger installed base than current market share reflects. There are many others out there, however, who were not aware of this, and for those people this is a fairly important thing for them to see.

At first glance, it's very tempting to start crowing about Apple having almost twice the installed base as Dell. Don't be too quick to do so, however, as Dell is catching up fast. More importantly, recent trends have suggested that Dell is accelerating its takeover of Apple's education market share. Anti-Mac partisans will also be quick to jump on the idea that Windows itself has the Mac OS (X and Classic) in a 2:1 lead in installed user base. In some ways, those partisans are right to crow about that. Apple is losing ground in education, and that can't be ignored.

The positive side of this is that Apple still has enough market share to make it attractive, and profitable, for software makers to make Mac education titles. That's an important element for stopping market share erosion.

The bottom line is that this report has some very good news for Apple, as well as lots of warning signs.

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Nardulus] #36393
12/18/04 18:02
12/18/04 18:02
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

83% of graphic designers use Macs.
• 77% of corporate design departments use Macs.
• 65% of ad agencies use Macs.

I see designers are still biased to Mac then. This would make sense given most that were trained were done so on them. I personally liked my experience with them..an older model and a top of the line(then) G3 with a horrible single button round mouse(yuck) that we finally got my last semester or two.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Orange Brat] #36394
12/23/04 16:38
12/23/04 16:38
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Having been trained a graphic designer.. it's true that we all used Macs..at least that was a few years ago.. i don't doubt that its still mostly the same now.. although i think PCs have made some inroads, but most graphic designers dont play games anyway. Anymore there's no reason to use a Mac rather than a PC to do design work, seeing as how all the major design software works on PC(it didnt used to be like that). Porting the engine from D3D to OpenGl is a monumental task, and would require a rewrite of the renderer, etc. That would be be a waste of time for most A6 users who could care less about Mac support.. in the meantime would they have time to do the regular updates and new features we all want? i doubt it.

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #36395
12/24/04 00:02
12/24/04 00:02
Hopewell Jct, NY
Yulor Offline
Senior Developer
Yulor  Offline
Senior Developer

Hopewell Jct, NY
I *think* this was already said, but i'm just wondering, what are the programming languages for a mac? do they have C/C++/C# ?

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Yulor] #36396
12/24/04 00:49
12/24/04 00:49
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan

Don't know about C#, but if you use Code Warrior C++ you can develop for both Win and Mac.

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: A.Russell] #36397
12/24/04 02:56
12/24/04 02:56
Finland
Ambassador Offline
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline
Serious User

Finland
C++, Python and the language that Torque uses are Crossplatform ( for Mac also ) and some Basic languages are made for Mac also.

I'm sure there is more languages that Mac supports...

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Ambassador] #36398
12/24/04 03:04
12/24/04 03:04
Hopewell Jct, NY
Yulor Offline
Senior Developer
Yulor  Offline
Senior Developer

Hopewell Jct, NY
is the C++ syntax for mac identical to that of windows?

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Yulor] #36399
12/24/04 04:23
12/24/04 04:23
Virginia, USA
qwerty823 Offline
Senior Developer
qwerty823  Offline
Senior Developer

Virginia, USA
C++ syntax is the same accross all platforms (although some vendors add their own "extensions" to their compilers). It's all the classes and libraries that come with the platform that make them different, like MFC.

OSX is *I believe* using something called Objective-C, which is an object-oriented C language, more like C then C++. I'd bet there were ways to use C/C++ to interface these as opposed to using Objective-C.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: qwerty823] #36400
12/24/04 05:05
12/24/04 05:05
Hopewell Jct, NY
Yulor Offline
Senior Developer
Yulor  Offline
Senior Developer

Hopewell Jct, NY
so basically, all the c++ language code in 3dgs can be ported over to mac without a problem.. it's just stuff that uses DirectX, and other Windows-OS specific code, that is the problem?

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de