by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (degenerate_762, 7th_zorro, Aku_Aku), 1,073 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Yulor] #36401
12/24/04 05:08
12/24/04 05:08
WizRealm Offline
Expert
WizRealm  Offline
Expert

Yes. That is why OpenGL is the standard for most games. (Sorry couldn't resist )

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: WizRealm] #36402
12/24/04 09:52
12/24/04 09:52
Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

it's just stuff that uses DirectX, and other Windows-OS specific code, that is the problem?

Yes, but that can be a lot of stuff.

Quote:

That is why OpenGL is the standard for most games.

It is a standard for most games? What qualifies as most games? With the exception of two games, all of the top 10 games from the past year require DirectX. Most games are written using DirectX - very few games use OpenGL comparatively. If most games used OpenGL, OSX would not have so few games available for it - but it does have very few games available for it.

Anywho, with the exception of a small handful of languages (mostly Microsoft backed languages like C# or VB), you can use most languages on most platforms as long as you avoid any platform specific dependancies. Most the work I was doing on the day job was written on Windows PCs to run on Irix or Windows workstations. Now we are writing on Windows PCs to run on Windows with support from a Linux server to handle certain aspects. C is your best bet (fewest problems when doing ports), followed by C++ in most cases. After that you have fun ones like Pascal. But, even if you use a cross platform language, it is very easy to make the outcome platform dependant (usually because it is easier to link to a library than to add functionality yourself).

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: myrlyn68] #36403
12/24/04 10:24
12/24/04 10:24
Virginia, USA
qwerty823 Offline
Senior Developer
qwerty823  Offline
Senior Developer

Virginia, USA
Sorry Myrlyn68, I think WizRealm was being sarcastic.

As to Yulor's response: Porting the C++ code wouldnt be the issue. Its the heavy dependency on DirectX (where X can be X or Sound or Show or Play). Since i've never seen the code, I couldnt tell you exactly how hard it would be.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: qwerty823] #36404
12/24/04 11:04
12/24/04 11:04
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Quote:

It is a standard for most games? What qualifies as most games? With the exception of two games, all of the top 10 games from the past year require DirectX. Most games are written using DirectX - very few games use OpenGL comparatively. If most games used OpenGL, OSX would not have so few games available for it - but it does have very few games available for it.

OpenGL is used for many games. The number of Direct X and OpenGL games varies depending on who has the technical lead at the time. Many games that use OpenGL rendering use Direct X for audio. Renderware which has been a popular engine choice supports OpenGL and Direct X. Its part of why Renderware is such a popular middleware product.

When we developed FLW fishing for GTI we used NDL Net Immerse the user could select between OpenGL or Direct X. Sometimes the Direct X drivers sucked and the OpenGL drivers worked. Having the ability to allow the customer choose a different render system saved the customer from returning the product and us getting charged with a bunch of returns. We were doing this in 1999, it seems this useful capability would be welcome in 2005 for use Indie developers from 3DGS. Offering customers a choice of render systems before getting a return is important, USA BASS has had over 5000 returns, its is a part a large part of the publishing landscape.

Torque is able to use Direct X or OpenGL, this selectable feature in 3DGS would be highly desirable for ease of porting to different platforms, or Operating Systems.

ORGE has the ability to support the MAC and PC.

It would be cool for 3DGS to support both rendering systems, and free us developers from the Direct X lock that exsits with 3DGS now.

Since I have ported Windows Code to the MAC in the past, it is not that daunting of a task. 3DGS will need to declare a graphics layer that is platform independent, and then you can switch in the needed render layer based on the client developers needs.

I am still good for being one of the first to purchase 3DGS MAC 2007.

Ken

Last edited by Nardulus; 12/24/04 11:08.
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Nardulus] #36405
12/24/04 12:32
12/24/04 12:32
Hopewell Jct, NY
Yulor Offline
Senior Developer
Yulor  Offline
Senior Developer

Hopewell Jct, NY
I brought this up once a few years ago, if everyone pitches in like 5-50 bucks, we could easily accumulate the required cash to have 3dgs for mac.

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: myrlyn68] #36406
12/25/04 08:02
12/25/04 08:02
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline
Serious User
MaxF  Offline
Serious User
M

Minbar
Quote:

With the exception of two games, all of the top 10 games from the past year require DirectX. Most games are written using DirectX - very few games use OpenGL comparatively. If most games used OpenGL, OSX would not have so few games available for it - but it does have very few games available for it.

What about PS2 games the biggest console out there with 70 million users, I can think of many games which are not DirectX.

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: MaxF] #36407
12/26/04 13:36
12/26/04 13:36
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Development for the PS2 (or Gamecube...) is a different matter than home computers (which this thread is primarily about). If you want to get into that issue, you could go ahead and toss in cell phones, PDAs and a dozen or so other electronic devices.

When you get to that point though you are no longer dealing with OpenGL or DirectX. There is a lot of hardcoded routines in the consoles - as well as proprietary libraries to run on proprietary hardware - with proprietary interfaces. The Playstation itself does not use OpenGL (at least not the PS One or PS2). Gamecube (as I have had it explained) also does not use OpenGL. None of the current mobiles are using OpenGL - although a few have looked into options like OpenGL ES.

So, I would still be willing to say that DirectX is the most common interface since it is used in PC games and the XBox consoles. The only thing that might come close would be Sony's proprietary interface...but I don't think that will quite do it.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: myrlyn68] #36408
12/27/04 02:27
12/27/04 02:27
Hopewell Jct, NY
Yulor Offline
Senior Developer
Yulor  Offline
Senior Developer

Hopewell Jct, NY
For cell phone games, I use the Java SDK, and I am trying to get my hands on BREW, which is a C/C++ Compiler.

edit: Woops didn't mean to press submit..

I'm using DirectX on my computer, so these compilers can run on DirectX, but the programs they generate do not?

Re: GameStudio for Mac? [Re: Yulor] #36409
12/27/04 15:03
12/27/04 15:03
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

I'm using DirectX on my computer, so these compilers can run on DirectX, but the programs they generate do not?

DirectX and OpenGL are just sets of libraries which handle a lot of the annoying tasks of connecting to the hardware (or more specifically the drivers for the hardware). In most cases you will have both OpenGL and DirectX on your Wintel machine...even though you might not have realized it.

With things like cell phones you will generally be using CPU only processes (most do not have an accelerated graphics chip...3D or 2D). For those it isn't really a matter of OpenGL or DirectX...there simply is no need to that type of interface yet. It is more akin to hand coding the old DOS games (with a handful of libraries to avoid the really repetative things).

To your specific question - they don't need OpenGL or DirectX to run. Since it is primarily 2D (or simulated 3D) it all gets processed via the CPU. The next generation will likely have an embedded version of DirectX or OpenGL...however even though the software is starting to become available to handle that, the hardware is still a long ways away. In the interim you will probably see more work done using a software renderer like older versions of Java 3D or one of the other fairly light 3D systems.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de