Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/19/24 18:45
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi, kzhao, 7th_zorro), 735 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DoomRL gameplay vs graphics #417367
02/11/13 22:40
02/11/13 22:40
Carlos3DGS Offline OP
User
Carlos3DGS  Offline OP
User

So, I just came across this game today by coincidence and it amazed me how fun it was. After playing for a while I thought...
Playing the old fps doom today would be sort of... terrible! But, these old graphics actually work great with this gameplay!

VIDEO:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGNJ3nLn5Gc

GAME:
http://doom.chaosforge.org/downloads

So for me the topic of discussion would be: Why do some graphics work with one gameplay and not with another?

My thought on it would be that it is mostly due to genre development and gameplay mechanics.
The fps genre has evolved alot, so these types of graphics dont work anymore, you would have to give the player some really deep and innovative gameplay mechanics for him to justify looking past those graphics (like minecraft or systemshock). But after the genre has evolved so much simple "move and shoot" is not enough to forgive ugly graphics.
On the other hand the rouge-like genre has not evolved as much as the fps genre, so players are more inclined to look past ugly graphics when it comes to rouge-likes. And also, rougelikes generally have much deeper/interesting gameplay mechanics than most shooters (even most modern day shooters).

And in my opinion, this rougelike has even worse graphics than the originall doom. But even then, they work here but they dont work for the original doom anymore...

What are your thoughts on this subject?
Why do they work here and not for doom?

"The more you know, the more you realize how little you know..."

I <3 HORUS
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=401929&page=1
Re: DoomRL gameplay vs graphics [Re: Carlos3DGS] #418304
02/23/13 12:12
02/23/13 12:12
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Ohhhh Doom still is very great today. Its level design is simply genious compared to what nowadays is called good level design.

Graphics are old of course, but you can always use Doomsday to run it hardware accelerated and download models, hires textures and the like for the game.

http://dengine.net/

I lost interest in modern shootrs because the levels felt dull... while very good looking.

Re: DoomRL gameplay vs graphics [Re: FBL] #419119
03/06/13 14:59
03/06/13 14:59
ny
jumpman Offline
Serious User
jumpman  Offline
Serious User

ny
there is so much to learn from doom from a gameplay standpoint, its amazing. Granted, in my opinion, iD never acheieved the same greatness as its classic DooM, but lots of game genres even outside of FPSs owe alot to it!

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de