by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (TedMar), 1,420 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Place for indie mobile 3D quality games : #417568
02/13/13 22:44
02/13/13 22:44
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

Well just got a Nexus 7 for android game dev.
(an old android tablet got the screen crashed unfortunatly)

I just picked up free but good games.
And picked up quality games.

And i was so suprised, as even non free 3D games were SO FEW when you search quality and content.
Any genre game you can seek, you'll only find few ones in 3D and having what i call quality.
The best are made by companies like Gameloft or Square enix (RPG) , MadFinger , Epic games etc ...
But this not represent thousand of games.
Even some games are just some move from PC to Tablet (GTA 3 for example)

And you could find a big amount of little games, pixel games, retro games, 2D games, with very simplistic gamelay (but perhaps fun or addictive) where you have to pay a little (even if it is less than 1 euro sometimes).

-----------------

So i was really stucked and thaught between 2 or 3 years, i crashed my old tablet i would find lot of big quality games , and it is : NO
yes there are new ones, a good bunch, but not a so big amount, could it be racing , shoots, beat em up, RPG , you'll find 4 or 5 amazing not 20 !

So yes there is LOT OF ROOM on Android for people that can make 3D games of great quality.

And there is also room for any simple 3D or 3D game you could make).
I'm sure you'll have at least one buyer if you can provide some good screenshots or making some popular style game with a defined style ( pixel, retro, eye candy 2D, 3D etc ...)

So yes, i'm already looking at best , and easy solution for mobile.
For 2D games or rendered 3D for 2D sprites, i can find free 2D java engines.
For 3D it's more complicated depending on your game style and if you need a 3D editor instead of having some external one made with a 3D library.
But i'm already planning to deliver even a 2D game, just to test teh store and see if i could sell something.

Let's hope Conitec won't put years and miss some mobile opportuniy ?
(for my part i don't wait, i'm already in laugh !)

Re: Place for indie mobile 3D quality games : [Re: ratchet] #417909
02/19/13 13:16
02/19/13 13:16
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany
Originally Posted By: ratchet

Let's hope Conitec won't put years and miss some mobile opportuniy ?
(for my part i don't wait, i'm already in laugh !)

Awesome ! I cant believe. So in future ratchet is not only known for endless postings mainly enginewar discussions . No! He is creating a real game (for Android).

Not only words anymore. yeah laugh

wish you best of luck and good condition. We're waiting for first facts and screens.

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: Place for indie mobile 3D quality games : [Re: gri] #417914
02/19/13 13:46
02/19/13 13:46
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

There are already next gen 3D assets going on that i make , but more in team projects.
And real life is lot more buzy, game making not my job, so yes game making, but time is lacking.
And yes i should post lot more less, and just do game making.

-------------

You should concentrate on the post instead of me laugh

The post is just about : with mobile, lot of indies here will be able to publish and sell a game, this is totally different from the PC market.
And i just stated It is lot lot of room, for good games, caus there is not a lot on Adnroid, even today where you can do Android Games even with Free software and free 3D engine.

Re: Place for indie mobile 3D quality games : [Re: ratchet] #417998
02/20/13 08:35
02/20/13 08:35
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany

Nice to share your experiences and results while checking the Possibilities for various Tools and future markets.

But, how long is Android OS already in the wild ? How manny "gamedevelopers" tried since then to get famous and rich with an casual, puzzle or logic game for these consumers.

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: Place for indie mobile 3D quality games : [Re: gri] #417999
02/20/13 08:56
02/20/13 08:56
ratchet Offline OP
Expert
ratchet  Offline OP
Expert

@Gri :
My advice for you would be :
You could achieve your zombie mini game and i'm sure you should not be rich , but gain good money that would at least pay your time and software investment.
And it would just be a start to begin to be known as a good indie game maker.
But only if you are motivated enought , caus making even a small game asks so much energy.

------------------------------

For Android :
Don't worry laugh , lot of people will stay on Android, because it is open system, and lot of people knows how Apple is expensive and closed system.
It will stay very long time, and just look at incoming "light indie" consoles like Ouya, Nvidia Shield : It's ANDROID.

The advantage is that with mobile market, you don't need to find a publisher to distribute your game.
Even small not so good games made by programmers are sold, even you could sell some game based on levels gameplay.

The other advantage is that mobile don't require models with high res models or textures :
Gameplay, eye candy HUD, and fun are the most importants after a good acceptable design and graphics.

---------------------

I searched on Android for not so good games, and believe me there are not a lot, if you can make a good one with not so bad graphics, and good gameplay, there is room for you and us indie people.

Last edited by ratchet; 02/20/13 09:51.

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de