by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,086 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What has the best graphics? [Re: ryanhagz] #420615
03/30/13 04:54
03/30/13 04:54
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Ok, I understand, but please tell me one thing (this is in no way intended to be mean): Did you create a game before and if so, can you show a screenshot of it, or do you have any experience in game creation?

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: What has the best graphics? [Re: Superku] #420619
03/30/13 06:22
03/30/13 06:22
United States, New Jersey
R
ryanhagz Offline OP
ryanhagz  Offline OP
R

I have experience with programming and a little modeling, but no I've never made a full game. And I know what you're already getting at and like I said above I'm WELL aware of how overly ambitious this may sound, but that's why I said, their will be many, many updates to the game. The first of which will be very simple and may only consist of the star freighters interior and doing missions around the ship for co-pilots and workers around the ship.

After the ship is where i'm comfortable with it, next comes outside the ship (space). as far as space goes, couldn't I just use a skybox that looks like space for most of the environment with a few spheres (planets) and obviously the players ship model? The way I'm planning to do it is in each region their's only a few planets on screen each time. Only the star freighter can bring you to other regions where the planets in that region will be generated during the loading screen between regions. To me, that's really all I can think of needing for the space aspect aside from the rogue mercenary and enemy ship models and other obvious things like the animation and stuff although I'm sure there's more.

Overall, I definitely expect a challenge, a big one, but one that can be achieved with enough time and dedication.

I'd like to make it clear, that i don't plan on diving straight into this guns blazing. I want to do some (ALOT) of personal testing, using different techniques for various aspects of the games look and feel and get WAY better with programming as well.

Which speaking of programming brings me to my next question, seeing as how this is an ambitious game I can imagine it will probably be pretty heavy for some users as well. Is their a way to make an "options" menu on the title screen so the player can turn on and off different aspects to make the game run better? Like turning off certain shaders, changing texture quality, things of that nature.

Last edited by ryanhagz; 03/30/13 06:23.
Re: What has the best graphics? [Re: ryanhagz] #420641
03/30/13 16:26
03/30/13 16:26
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Lots of new stuff to reply to! I'll probably forget half of what I want to say. Anyway, here goes...

Quote:

As I'm sure you know The Walking Dead started as a comic by Robert Kirkman so while the style the game was done was awesome, they really emphasized & "cashed out" on (if you will) that "comic-y" feel because it would only make sense looking back on the brands origins.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, though I haven't seen the show, nor have I read any of the comics. So for me, the game is the entire experience. And it still worked for me!
Because, well, it may be true that the comic was there first, but that doesn't undermine my point, does it? You're still able to feel attachment to the characters, despite the graphics being far from being technically impressive.

Quote:
let me explain why I feel quality graphics is a good thing.

You, uh, did you do that? grin You go on to talk about your game - also interesting, but, err, it's not an explanation.
Anyhow, here's my question to that:

What does quality graphics mean?

Rating graphics on a singular scale seems to be a bad idea. Game magazines like to do it, to reduce the elements of a game to single numbers (you know those ratings, right? "Sound: 82%, Graphics: 91%, Final Score: 88%"), but we should be aware that there's more to that. And graphics are, of course, influenced by story, setting, athmosphere, level design, model design, and so much more! Depending on the game, even sound (which usually feels more disjointed from graphics than other aspects) can be a huge influence - and that's disregarding how music can inspire.

So, I'm rambling. The point is, Game development isn't a science, it's an art. There's no hard rules - there's things that usually tend to work, but some games may require you to ignore them and do the opposite (those games tend to be more interesting to people like us! ... or maybe it's just me)

Click to reveal.. ("Sidenote")
Has anyone played Virtue's Last Reward? I'm currently playing through it, and it's doing exactly that. So even me, the "game veteran" (I'm really not) can get a lot out of that. It's also a cool story, and the characters seem well thought-out so far. It's graphics are far from impressive, though. But I disgress.

But what criteria are there to rate "Graphics" on? Animation, Art style (can that even be "rated"?), Technical prowess?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there's no point to arguing. There is a lot to learn here. I'm just saying that, err, it's complicated!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So, let's talk your game idea, then.

Contrary to Superku, I don't think it's that crazy outlandish impossible to create. I'm thinking with the right compromises made, it's a good project to work on, because it scales really well. Start small (smaller than what you said you want to start with - how about making space combat wirk for a start?), then go from there.

The thing though is - if you don't bother about story, and in extension characters - then of course it doesn't matter how you achieve the player feeling attachement, as there is nothing for the player to feel attached to (unless you count their progress and spaceship, but I'd argue that's a different kind of attachment).
But isn't that a missed opportunity?

On your HQ-spaceship, you'll likely want to provide some exposition, and a way to do that is to have characters tell you about the world (though there are more elegant ways to achieve this - show, don't tell). But sure, okay, there's value in that, a place that is constant and provides a safe haven to return back to. It serves little gameplay purpose (a menu would be more efficient if it was about upgrading and buying stuff), some would say, but I disagree. Building the world, creating an athmosphere, that is part of the game, and it's, possibly, what seperates good mechanics from great experiences.
And, likely for similar reasons (even if not articulated that way), you probably want to avoid loading screens (they threw the player out of the game, they stop him/her dead in their tracks, they make the player realize it's not real - it shatters the illusion you built!). However, as this is more of a technical detail, I wouldn't worry so much about it NOW - a cleverly disguised loading screen (perhaps the ship's displays need to switch when entering the athmosphere?) could work well for a while.

Perhaps this is motivating to you:
The Evochron series is a space game series that features what you're trying to achieve - freeform landing on planets, for instance. And they're all developed (mainly) by a single person.

But, and here Superku's right, you need to figure out a way to do this. You may have to scale down your expectations on the visuals. This must not mean a compromise in the "feel" your game will ultimately have - only that it must be something you can achieve in a realistic timeframe.

Also, yeah, you will get other ideas during development. That's normal, though, happens to everybody, and you'll probably wish to start work on a new idea sometime during development. Also normal. laugh
. . . . . Right, guys?

Quote:
To me, that's really all I can think of needing for the space aspect aside from the rogue mercenary and enemy ship models and other obvious things like the animation and stuff although I'm sure there's more.

Yeah, there is. From AI to movement, to physics, to interface design, to sound and music to everything. The key rule is, you'll always forget stuff that you'll find yourself having to create at some point. There's no avoiding that, but how much stuff you forget, that you can control (up to a point), by carefully planning. Sit down and imagine playing your game. Then, for every aspect of whats on the screen, think about how to achieve this. How do you code something like that happening? What do you need? This is a part where experience really helps.
But how are you gonna get experience? At some point, you'll have to start, and at some point, you'll have to make mistakes, or else you're never gonna learn.

What I'm saying is, if this is a project that motivates you, then who am I to judge if that's how you learn about game development? Yeah, if you make a Pong-game, the chances are infinitely higher for you to finish it, but you're doing this for fun, aren't you? So do whatever makes you the happiest. If you need help, we're here - you seem patient & humble (... as humble as possible with game-developer-typical game-creation wishes ;)) and that's a very good combination.

Quote:

Which speaking of programming brings me to my next question, seeing as how this is an ambitious game I can imagine it will probably be pretty heavy for some users as well. Is their a way to make an "options" menu on the title screen so the player can turn on and off different aspects to make the game run better? Like turning off certain shaders, changing texture quality, things of that nature.

Yes. It's not even difficult - it's just lots of ifs wink

Quote:

Btw, I really appreciate the feedback and help Error!

laugh No problem, you're welcome. It's a good discussion, too.
And, err... sorry for the typos and mistakes in my other reply. ... Guess it was a bit late when I posted.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: What has the best graphics? [Re: Error014] #420656
03/31/13 05:36
03/31/13 05:36
R
ryanhagz Offline OP
ryanhagz  Offline OP
R

Haha yeah, I'm sorry I tend to talk in circles sometimes...crazy

Anyways, You've made me realize something which I think has happened to most developers in their early stages at one point or another which is, my taste is too commercial. What I mean by that is, OF COURSE, everyone wants clean textures and smooth edges and great quality, but some things are only realistic on a commercial level of production....cry

Also, I do intend to write a back story as to why you and the rest of your team is there and so on. What I meant by theirs going to be no "true" storyline is, I'd like it to be planet and level dependent. So you may go to one planet multiple times for different missions, but each missions gives you some insight to the way that world works and what's going on in it. However, when you go to other planets their stories don't have much to do with outside their own world.

Quote:
you probably want to avoid loading screens (they threw the player out of the game, they stop him/her dead in their tracks, they make the player realize it's not real - it shatters the illusion you built!). However, as this is more of a technical detail, I wouldn't worry so much about it NOW

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a bit confused by one thing you said though. What did you mean when you said,
Quote:
a cleverly disguised loading screen (perhaps the ship's displays need to switch when entering the athmosphere?) could work well for a while.

How could I disguise a loading screen while the player is still playing?

One thing I will agree with you and Superku on is I'll definitely need to lower my expectations graphically speaking..(for now wink )

Quote:

Yeah, there is. From AI to movement, to physics, to interface design, to sound and music to everything. The key rule is, you'll always forget stuff that you'll find yourself having to create at some point. There's no avoiding that, but how much stuff you forget, that you can control (up to a point), by carefully planning.

You're absolutely right and I appreciate the tips man. laugh

Now, back to the "video settings" topic:

If it really is possible, couldn't I make the game as "heavy" as I want? Since the users can choose to turn AA on and off, LoD, Resolution, texture quality, shaders, etc. they could run the game at "pristine" settings or however they needed to to get it to run smoothly on their computer. I'm not saying straight out of the gate with all this, but obviously starting small with low graphics, couldn't I just go back in or make an update for players to be able to completely control the graphics settings? Realistically, anyone could still play it as long as the video setting were set properly. I'm sure this probably a lot more complex than it sounds or everyone would be doing it, but ya know what they say, curiosity killed the cat (or overly ambitious developer....take your pick). tongue

Quote:

What I'm saying is, if this is a project that motivates you, then who am I to judge if that's how you learn about game development? Yeah, if you make a Pong-game, the chances are infinitely higher for you to finish it, but you're doing this for fun, aren't you? So do whatever makes you the happiest. If you need help, we're here - you seem patient & humble (... as humble as possible with game-developer-typical game-creation wishes ;)) and that's a very good combination.

I really appreciate this statement given the fact that most others on other sites and forums will tell you how badly and horribly wrong you're going about things yet, never bother to explain why or help out. This already seems like an awesome community based on the people I've talked to so thanks guys! grin

Re: What has the best graphics? [Re: ryanhagz] #420724
04/01/13 22:13
04/01/13 22:13
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Quote:
Haha yeah, I'm sorry I tend to talk in circles sometimes...

No worries!
In return, you'll have to suffer an exceptionally high-and-mighty-tone. Sorry! Don't hate me.

Quote:
You've made me realize something which I think has happened to most developers in their early stages at one point or another which is, my taste is too commercial.

Is that so?
It might well be. I do remember that the games I wanted to create at first were all very similar to existing games. And it is very common to hear people shout that they want to create a game "just like X". Does that change with time? And if so, is it just your tastes changing, or is it realizing that you want to express yourself more clearly, which is impossible when sticking too close to which has been there before?
(Which is unfair to say. I'm exaggerating to make the point more clear. There might still be some truth there?)

Quote:
What I mean by that is, OF COURSE, everyone wants clean textures and smooth edges and great quality, but some things are only realistic on a commercial level of production...

(EDIT: Reading this again, I think I misunderstood your point. But "great quality" is a bit unclear - it's all subjective, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
Yet, I don't think the below adds anything at this point. For completeness' sake, it's still there.)

Does everyone want this?
Let's disregard some "obvious" points (like everyone wants a screen resolution high enough to work), and talk about certain art styles.

Like cartoon - cel-shading. There's millions of fans of anime out there. And a lot of them enjoy the distinctively japanese artstyle, with clear faces and lots of expressions of characters, and the (usually) somewhat more plain textures.
And I don't have to hide behind a "Many like it!"-statement here; I do think that this kind of artstyle can make for very compelling visuals (and it not being so close to realism may give you more options, too).

Yeah, it's the same point as before.

Just, you know, next time, before you put the sad smiley there, think about the limiations you have for a minute.
Yes, they're often annoying, but they do serve as very important limiters. They limit what you can do - which sounds like it's a bad thing, but it isn't. Most people, when given the opportunity to do (or create) anything simply draw a blank. They don't know what to do or make.
But as soon as you limit the possible options, you have a starting point - if only in knowing what it is you can't do. From there, you can figure out what it is that's important to your vision, and end up creating something amazing with the limitations.

I believe that this may be part of the reason that those who do their Game Jams with certain themes they have to stick to end up creating more than those who don't.

All this and I didn't even point to Minecraft, or any of the other successful games with "Retro visuals" out there to make my point!

Quote:

How could I disguise a loading screen while the player is still playing?

Well - a loading screen can be many things. Look, a black screen with the text "Loading" at the bottom is very obviously telling me that the game is loading content (or in other words, that it isn't real).

A game that does the same thing, but at the same time shows a picture of me descending onto a planet is doing a better job. I'm probably not fooled, but it's not outright telling me that there's a technical reason for the pause. So the suspension of disbelief is shattered a little less - cracked only, maybe.

A game that instead keeps going and silently pretends I'm flying through clouds (with me controlling it, even), while streaming everything in the background does the best job (think Metroid Prime's doors). Here, I have no reason to assume that I'm out of the world for a second.
This is not so easy to accomplish with Acknex, but it's still doable.

Quote:

If it really is possible, couldn't I make the game as "heavy" as I want? Since the users can choose to turn AA on and off, LoD, Resolution, texture quality, shaders, etc. they could run the game at "pristine" settings or however they needed to to get it to run smoothly on their computer. I'm not saying straight out of the gate with all this, but obviously starting small with low graphics, couldn't I just go back in or make an update for players to be able to completely control the graphics settings? Realistically, anyone could still play it as long as the video setting were set properly.

Alright, let's think this through. So you have your game, and it runs amazingly on your computer. But there's a problem when you run it on your grandma's computer - it's not running fast enough!
"Oh", you say, "guess we render too much on the screen here". So you decrease the distance you can see, and thus, less polygons are rendered. It now runs on your grandma's computer (if she manages to configure the settings right), good job!

But what's that? Your great uncle calls and says the game isn't running fluidly!
"Blast", you say, "I cannot reduce the distance any further, or it's unplayable" (since you need to see a certain distance). "Guess I'll have to use models with a lower polycount".

So now you have to model every object in the game again with half the polygons, and it works on the computer of your great uncle.

... Until, of course, he's in the mission with the great space dogfight. What now?
"Well...", you say. You can tune down the effects, of course - use less particles, smaller graphics - but maybe that won't cut it. This is difficult - your AI routines simply take too long! Your alternative is to make them simpler, but now the game suffers, as the ships are suddenly much easier (or harder (superintelligent AI can be - depending on the task - simple to create)). You may allow that, but now someone is playing thorugh a different game (an anecdote: on some old FPS games, one of the tips for increasing the framerate was to lower the difficulty of AI opponents)

Do you see where this is going? Yeah, you can go some way with that, but at some point, you cannot reduce things or the game itself suffers. You can't make textures as small as you wish if you NEED the player to read something written on it. You can't simply remove explosions, since they're needed for the player to see that the opponent was defeated (and is no longer a threat).
And that's disregarding all the extra effort it takes - if you have to model everything in the game ten times for your detail levels*, your game will take so much longer to produce - and for what? So that 0.0000001% more people can play it?
It sucks to cut someone out of the experience, but it sucks even more if all you could ever do was work on one game and never finish as you try to make sure it works for everyone.

All that being said, yeah, if you're willing to produce more content after you're done with the game, sure, there's nothing stopping you from putting an update out.
Sidenote: You won't WANT to do that, though. Yeah, it's your dream project, yes, it's very exciting, I believe that! I know that feeling.
But also know this, after two, or three, or even more years of working on a game, you may want to work on something else. There surely is more than one game idea in you! It's always a balance act. laugh

Quote:

I really appreciate this statement given the fact that most others on other sites and forums will tell you how badly and horribly wrong you're going about things yet, never bother to explain why or help out. This already seems like an awesome community based on the people I've talked to so thanks guys!

That's nice of you to say - you're welcome! laugh

* - Look, you know about LOD. If you use that, you already have three versions, so simply not using the highest level would be an option. The above is a very simplified example.

Last edited by Error014; 04/01/13 22:18.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de