by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (blaurock), 750 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
This means war! A secret poll on games. #420597
03/29/13 23:48
03/29/13 23:48
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
Hello!

Did you play this game? The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

No? Alright, leave this thread for now and come back later, when the poll's done.

Yes? Cool. Here's a simple question. Please vote before you read what others have to say below. What's interesting is your opinion, so don't let that be influenced.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
single choice
I enjoyed it - good game.
63%, 5 Votes
I didn't enjoy it.
38%, 3 Votes
Total Votes: 8
Voting on this poll ends: 03/31/13 22:00

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Error014] #420599
03/30/13 00:07
03/30/13 00:07
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
Did you vote? No? What are you waiting for - do it now!

Oh, you did? Cool. Here's stuff you may find interesting.

Click to reveal..

The game was released for PC, XBox 360 and PS3. It is currently holding a Metacritic average of 94 points (out of 100), which is very good - Metacritic calls that "Universal Acclaim". (The PS3-version only has a Metacritic average of 93 points).

According to Wikipedia, the developer used "procedural generation tools" in order to create the huge amount of content quickly, and the game also features "Radiant A.I.", which makes defining NPC behaviour easier.
The NPC conversations was one of the strongest points of criticism - the (comparatively) low amount of voiced samples made those feel wrong.

Some consider the previous game - Morrowind - to be the better game.
Oblivion's sequel, Skyrim, not only was a commercial success, it also created the "Arrow-to-the-knee"-Meme.

Finally, a word about this. Yeah, this is an experiment. Who knows, maybe I'll do that with other games, too (if we gain something interesting from all this).
I humbly ask not to reveal current poll standing in any of the posts below until the voting period is over, as to not influence potential voters.

Thanks!

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Error014] #420600
03/30/13 00:15
03/30/13 00:15
Serbia
Iglarion Offline
User
Iglarion  Offline
User

Serbia
I voted positively even i was at the border. The good side of the game is story, graphics and optimization. Bad things is to big and empty world, terible gameplay and incredibly difficult to remember names of NPCs cry .
All in all i think it was worth it to play this game tongue

Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Iglarion] #420601
03/30/13 00:35
03/30/13 00:35
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
I've played it for about few weeks (two and half maybe).. But I can't say that I really enjoyed it.. It became boring after few days (but I kept playing, cause I was hoping, that it will became more interesting, and maybe I could open something new for myself) as soon as the locations started to be the same, over and over again.. Well.. I liked Skyrim (and Mirrowind). In near future, I'm going to try previous series of The Elder Scrolls.

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: 3run] #420696
03/31/13 23:27
03/31/13 23:27
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
The results are in!

Out of eight votes (what a statistically relevant sample size!), 5 (63%) say it's a good game.

This game is interesting to me because, as you may have guessed, I'm one of the three who don't like it.
I can't even put my finger on it, why. I should like it in principle. It's got a nice big world, there's tons to do, and so much exploration!
But, I dunno, I couldn't get into it much. The caves all felt the same, somehow, the combat wasn't so enjoyable to me, and I didn't care much for any of the characters, or the story.
Perhaps the last part is my biggest problem with it.
I really enjoy games with good storylines - I've noticed that I'm willing to forgive a lot if the story and/or characters are good - in a trade of interactivity vs story, I seem to choose story more often than I used to do. Who knows if that is a good thing from the perspective of game creation.

In any event, thank you for voting, and thanks 3run and Iglarion for your thoughts on the game! laugh

3run, seems like we both founded the locations to be a little... same-y.
Iglarion, great point on the size of the world.
I remember times when "huge world" sounded like the best thing ever to me. Now, all my cynical mind thinks is that it means a lot of bland, empty space and perhaps annoying backtracking. I'm aware that this isn't a MUST, but I'd much rather have smaller locations that are interesting, then big ones with the same amount of interesting points per locale - give me a high density of interesting things!

... So, here's a related story.
A few months ago, I went to buy an RPG for the Wii that I intended to play over the free days around christmas. I narrowed it down to "The Last Story" and "Xenoblade Chronicles" -- and I've chosen the former, because it was criticised for being linear and not having an open world. It seemed to me that, in that more linear experience, I'd likely end up having more fun.

This is almost a gaming confession now! Because this goes contrary to what most people tend to want games to do. Am I just clinging to old values, or is my "more-happenings-per-gaming-hour-in-linear-games"-point a valid one?

For those interested, I liked the game, but didn't finish it. Of course I didn't! When do I ever finish a game, right?

Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Error014] #420698
04/01/13 00:37
04/01/13 00:37
Loremaster Offline
Loremaster  Offline

It is a partially valid point. Yes, small worlds may carry more game experience per game hour (not necessarily, though), but they don't have to be linear. Thief 1 would be a good example. Small levels, clear cut missions, but you could solve them however you liked it (and were able to, very important!).

Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Loremaster] #420700
04/01/13 01:15
04/01/13 01:15
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
I have three problems with the modern Elder Scrolls games:

1.) First person view
I really don't like the ego perspective. It just doesn't work for me when it's about close combat. The look, the feel, the gameplay - it's simply not very appealing to me. What I'd like though is something Red Steel tried to do by using the Wiimote to simulate the way you hold a sword...

2.) The enemy scaling
I dislike the entire mechanic of enemies that level up just like you do. It sort of destroys the world for me and takes any challenge away. Plus it's ridiculous when "suddenly" thieves you meet on a street start wearing mithril armor or something like that just to match your stats...

3.) Morrowind
This game might be what ruined the entire series for me. It was the first Elder Scrolls game I played and one of the few games I actually stopped playing pretty soon. I still hate this entire empty world with the giant mushrooms and whatnot. Not mentioning the said problems with the gameplay mechanics. I also never could get over all those things like silly nonstop jumping around just to improve your stamina/athletic skills. This whole improving by doing thing might be somewhat "realistic" but at the same time I think it's silly that it makes you jump around like an idiot with "Oh - you've improved your skill!" messages popping up all along...

In general I prefer the Gothic like experience. 3rd person view, enemies with fixed stats so I might have to come back when I've become stronger and no silly busywork like jumping around to improve my skills...

Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Toast] #420703
04/01/13 08:22
04/01/13 08:22
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
You can play in 3rd person (or is that only so in Skyrim?)

Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #420704
04/01/13 08:58
04/01/13 08:58
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Mah! I didn't saw this thread until now. My vote were be "I enjoyed it". I stopped playing at that time for no particular reasons (real life issues, I guess). But what I disliked about that game were the gates to Oblivion-stages; the same goes for Skyrim, I really hated the randomized-dragon stuff (except for the story-driven epic battles).

What is questionable, too, is the whole magic thing (for me). This in particluar destroyed the fun factor of Skyrim. All I did after a while was running around in dungeons, fire-fisting my enemies, then a bit of hacknslash, then throwing in some portions, magic again and if I ran out of potions I flew, healing myself. In one scene, in which some guards lured me into an ambush in a small temple room, I literally ran around the table so long until I recovered my health - silly! I think the choices at the beginning like "I want to be a warrior, so no magic for me" should have not a subtle, but a very strong effect.

What I always liked and what I enjoyed more than the main story were the massive amounts of sidequests. The stories which were told were sometimes so charming, entertaining, crazy or badass. That was always for me a reason to play the game - and not because of DRAGONS. The thieves guild sidequest in Skyrim was really a blast and would be a reason for me to play it again (maybe because I am highly attracted by THIEF games).

Last edited by HeelX; 04/01/13 08:59.
Re: This means war! A secret poll on games. [Re: Rei_Ayanami] #420711
04/01/13 12:25
04/01/13 12:25
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
You can play in 3rd person (or is that only so in Skyrim?)

I don't know if Morrowind did have it but a 3rd person view exists in Oblivion. The thing is that you don't want to fight in the 3rd person view. Especially when using the bow you don't see much as your character is in the way so you don't really see where you're firing. At least I think that this was a flaw...

But even then the combat system is meant for the ego perspective...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de