by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ayumi, AndrewAMD), 1,112 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Atrium Demo #421533
04/19/13 00:05
04/19/13 00:05
3 Images
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
Atrium Demo

Hey guys,
Alex Pölloth (Kartoffel) and I present the Atrium Demo for Gamestudio A8.

It features the Sponza Atrium scene by Frank Meinl (Crytek), which was reworked and enhanced in Cinema4D and exported to Gamestudio A8 by me; the scene was arranged in WED and comes as WMP file. I also created some textures anew and remastered some other ones; they are all saved as DDS files. Two skycubes from Emil Persson (Humus) were added, too. All models were split at their hard edges in order to have proper vertex normals. The demo features a day setting with directional sunlight and a night setting with a slight directional moonlight, a handful of colored pointlights and a colored spotlight.

The key feature of this demo is not only the Atrium scene itself (it is rather static, though), but the included "fxObj" object shader, which was initially written by Kartoffel and further extended and modified by me. The shader provides per-pixel lighting and shading and supports up to eight directional-, point and spotlights. It supports normalmapping with specular map and detail normalmapping. The shader uses the engine's sun color, the level ambient and fog.

The shader is procedural and can be customized for each entity with flags. You can seperately specify if a model has a normal map, a spec map and a detail map or not; if the model should be rendered doublesided (e.g. vegetation); and what kind of surface it has, e.g. if it is a solid surface (e.g. walls) or overlay surfaces (e.g. foliage, plants; activates the OVERLAY flag) or cutout objects (e.g. chain textures), or, if it is a static surface (deactivates the DYNAMIC flag). The order of skins is always 1) diffuse, 2) normal map, 3) spec map and 4) detail normalmap. If you render a distant object, you can even specify that an entity has a normal map, but is rendered without normal mapping. If you don't select any flags, the entity is "just" rendered with per-pixel default lighting - which looks even better than the standard engine lighting!

Examples:
Code:
action stoneWall ()
{
	// static, solid object with normalmapping, specular map and detail normal mapping
	fx_obj(my, FX_OBJ_STATIC | FX_OBJ_SOLID   | FX_OBJ_NM | FX_OBJ_SPEC | FX_OBJ_DETAIL);
}

action vegetation ()
{
	// overlay object with normalmapping, specular map and double sided rendering
	fx_obj(my, FX_OBJ_OVERLAY | FX_OBJ_NM | FX_OBJ_SPEC | FX_OBJ_DOUBLE);
}

action lattice ()
{
	// cutout object with regular (per-pixel) shading
	fx_obj(my, FX_OBJ_CUTOUT);
}

Plus, the demo comes with a sky cube module + shader ("fxSkycube"), that allows you to create skycubes which can be rotated, found by name, displaced and stretched towards the horizon; and other neat stuff.

For more images, watch the following slideshow on flickr or download the demo and its sources from here:

Atrium Demo v0.01 2013-04-18 (~40 MB)
http://www.christian-behrenberg.de/files/dev/demos/atriumdemo-0.01-2013-04-19.zip

It was tested with A8.40.3 and we hope that this is useful for anyone.

What's next?

Well, the project was driven by the need to have a cool multipurpose per-pixel shader that can catch up with commercial games. It looks quiet good, we are pleased with the results. But there is still so much to do and to support (e.g. lightmaps, AO, emissive textures, cubic environment reflections... and so on). Maybe we can pull other demos or enhance this one, I don't know. Though, I have the strong belief that the procedural flag-based approach is a good and convenient one, although I imagine that the interface might change if new features come into play... we'll see.
13 Comments
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: HeelX] #421535
04/19/13 08:04
04/19/13 08:04
Karlsruhe
PadMalcom Offline
Serious User
PadMalcom  Offline
Serious User

Karlsruhe
The scene looks incredible and could serve as a fantastic example to show what is possible with A8. I (really really) hope that you pixel shader framework gets finished one day so that we all can use it as easy as the flags we already know. Thanks a lot for your effort!

Re: Atrium Demo [Re: PadMalcom] #421536
04/19/13 09:59
04/19/13 09:59
Dico Offline
Dico  Offline

Wow, fantastic work , u r the best HeelX

Re: Atrium Demo [Re: Dico] #421548
04/19/13 15:22
04/19/13 15:22
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Awesome work on the shader and the scene!
( I've learned some new stuff from the shader laugh )

The diffuse- normal- and specmaps are perfect which makes the level great for graphics-testing and -development.

I just tried it with my own shaders applied (object and post processing) and this is what it looks like:
http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/sponza1ztvrc8hpyq.png
http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/sponza2aiy1kvtd6j.png

Thanks, again!

Last edited by Kartoffel; 04/19/13 15:51.
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: Kartoffel] #421550
04/19/13 19:06
04/19/13 19:06
Hummel Offline
Expert
Hummel  Offline
Expert

Thanks for the efforts, guys!

Re: Atrium Demo [Re: Hummel] #421551
04/19/13 20:35
04/19/13 20:35
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Thanks for the nice words, PadMalcolm, Dico, Hummel - and Kartoffel!! smile I must confess that this was a bit more difficult and time-consuming than I thought.

After all this, I am convinced that it is not worth it for indie developers to put time and money into something like this. This demo exists only because the original artist has made the models and textures freely available. During the production of this, I have found other free scenes that are worth it to be ported to Gamestudio and would lead to a further development of the object shader.

Though, it is very likely that I am going to extend my post-processing framework and shader collection next. There are a lot of things on my list, like tonemapping, DOF and such. I also believe that it makes no sense to extend the Atrium Demo (or demos in general) with new features just for the sake of it. I think that further development of the shader(s) should come with new polished demos with each iteration. That keeps also the people attracted. But for this artwork have to be free, so that people can look into the files and play with them - everything else makes no sense, like WRS protection.

So if someone is willing to create or donate exclusive new 3D models with all the bells and whistles - I would be very grateful! I need for example an animated 3D character so that I can add proper GPU-accelerated bone animation support and/or a skin shader smile

P.S: please don't forget to thank Kartoffel as well. He did a great job and getting the shader started, I learned also a lot from him.

Last edited by HeelX; 04/19/13 20:35.
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: HeelX] #421552
04/19/13 21:02
04/19/13 21:02
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
Well presented, neat shaders and released for free, you two guys are awesome! =)

This really should be deployed with every GStudio installation, do you plan to contact jcl (if he himself does not contact you) regarding this?

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: Superku] #421557
04/20/13 05:58
04/20/13 05:58
H
HeelX Offline OP
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline OP
Senior Expert
H

Originally Posted By: Superku
This really should be deployed with every GStudio installation, do you plan to contact jcl (if he himself does not contact you) regarding this?
I don't think so. First, the shader is different from how the Gamestudio shaders are written; Second, there are still a lot of basic things missing; and third, I really wait for the new release so that everything can be refactored with a HLSL framework aside which is imported with #include smile -- about JCL/opgroup: I don't know. They can do whatever they want with it, that is why it's free and that also applies to you wink

Last edited by HeelX; 04/20/13 05:59.
Re: Atrium Demo [Re: Superku] #421558
04/20/13 06:05
04/20/13 06:05
de
lemming Offline
lemming  Offline

de
Awesome work you two! How many hours did you work on it?
I guess 40 MB on every GameStudio installation is a bit much. But it should have its own spot in the download area.

Re: Atrium Demo [Re: lemming] #421559
04/20/13 06:41
04/20/13 06:41
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
really cool project, another source we can learn from, thanks. in future, if you decide to work further on it, shadow support would be nice, but maybe it is not too useful as the building is quite closed.

Last edited by sivan; 04/20/13 06:54.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de