by titanicpiano14. 04/11/24 14:56
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (7th_zorro), 429 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue
19045 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: HeelX] #421980
04/29/13 18:44
04/29/13 18:44
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
I've saw this thread a couple of times, yet haven't had a chance to respond. I am sad to see you go Sid. You seem like you grow your technical knowledge pretty fast for the usual forum peers on here. Moving on to newer/more powerful technology is a good thing though.

As for all the discussion about the forums flaws. I can see both sides. I've just learned not to take anything on the forum seriously unless its by someone I consider a serious user. I think this post should be taken as more of a description of why he's leaving, not as a criticism of the forum in general. I don't think there is really a reason to be butthurt on either side of the argument.

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: lostclimate] #421981
04/29/13 19:24
04/29/13 19:24
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
He is right though that there isn't too much discussion anymore. And how could you fault someone who has made a decision so that he maximises the amount of learning done? (Though it's a shame that this also stops your informative posts - opportunities for people like me to learn)

Not saying I'm not part of the discussion-problem, but what real debates (the kind where you end up learning something) have we had in recent memories?

Anyway, Sid, it's sad to see you go. You're obviously very talented. Where should we look to see the projects you'll be working on (your blog, I'd guess, but maybe you're more active on Twitter or who-knows).

All the best to you!

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: Error014] #422002
04/30/13 08:08
04/30/13 08:08
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
@heelx: There is no "unofficial" reason for me leaving. I get all your points, and I agree with you. The family like atmosphere, everyone knows each other, most are friends in real life. That's great, don't get me wrong, and I'm not trying to shift the scope of the forum here. But this isn't for me, I don't want to read about other peoples living room. Granted, I'm not forced to read it, fwiw, I'm not forced to participate in any thread here, the problem is that I'm missing the balance with other threads.
I'm not criticizing the forum for what it is, and by god I'm not trying to change it! The thing is, the scope doesn't fit what I'm looking for, so I'm simply going somewhere else.
Please don't take this as a personal insult, it isn't meant as one.

@lostclimate, error: Thanks you two!
I'm not really moving to new technology though (well, I kind of am, but... You are going to see). Either Nils or SchokoKeks (or maybe, but just maybe, I) will make a thread here in the upcoming weeks/months to present something pretty cool we've been working on.

If anyone want to follow my more personal projects, my blog or Github profile are probably the best way to go. I do frequent Twitter quite a lot, but honestly, my tweets are boring as fuck (and I can guarantee you that the majority of them are going to be rants about either ATI/AMD or Unicode in the upcoming time).

Well, I think that covers it so far (sorry, I haven't slept yet and I'm awfully tired, please excuse if I have missed something. I think I'll have to write a more detailed answer to heelx later today or this night). If there is anything, I have subscribed to this post, so I guess I will get emails if someone answers, and you can also send me PMs for which I definitely receive emails.

Edit: God damnit you lazy mods. It's not even a week since I stepped down as mod and the forum is already flooded with spam? tongue

Last edited by JustSid; 04/30/13 08:11.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: WretchedSid] #422006
04/30/13 09:25
04/30/13 09:25
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
have a good time JustSid outside of 3DGS universe too, and whatever you are making, good luck for that!

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: sivan] #422010
04/30/13 11:15
04/30/13 11:15
germany
gri Offline
Serious User
gri  Offline
Serious User

germany

another one go with the flow

"Make a great game or kill it early" (Bruce Shelley, Ensemble Studios)
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: HeelX] #422155
05/03/13 08:58
05/03/13 08:58
Canada
WretchedSid Offline OP
Expert
WretchedSid  Offline OP
Expert

Canada
As promised, here is the longer answer...

Originally Posted By: HeelX
Quote:
I said that I wish that this forum was MORE professional (...) and it doesn't offer me anything new that makes it worth to come back.

I still wonder why this is the reason for you to "officially" leave this place and write such a big good-bye post (for which I still don't know why people do that).

Let's start with the second, implied, question: Peer pressure.
There is no "unofficial" version, there is no grudge I hold against some users here that makes me want to leave the forum or something like that. I'm way too unsocial for that (I have received and sent about 20 PMs in my 5 years here). But that's also the biggest thing that makes me want to leave, while I enjoy a good off-topic thread from time to time, I really don't want that to be the majority of the posts. I hate Facebook for that very reason, and love Twitter; I can personally handpick what I read and it's so amazingly uni-directional interaction.
I suppose that sounds snobby as fuck, as if I was trying to tell everyone that I'm better than them, and please, that's not the case! I'm not trying to convert the Forum into something that I find pleasant.

To sum it up, you want from us a more professional attitude, that we do our work with excellence, that we behave modest, somehow conservative, that we work with confidence, stay on schedule, that we try to be leaders in our profession, that we stay current with changes in the industry, share the information we have learned, that we take risks and agree to take on difficult tasks, and, last but not least communicate in a professional manner?

Ha! I see what you did there, well played.
No, seriously though, I don't want to change the forum. I don't want the forum to develop a professional attitude, at least not in the way you describe it.
I actually decided against finger pointing, but to hell with it, look at this post. The user didn't even bother to comprehend the question. There is another infamous example that was in the Wiki and which I can't find, so I can't fingerpoint, but it basically was this:

Quote:
Use void [as opposed to function] to speed up your functions

It made me go up the walls so many times now, and it's still my goto example. It's old, but things haven't got better yet. The professional attitude I wish for? People knowing what they are talking about, instead of wildly guessing. Stack Overflow is so amazing for these kinds of things, peer reviewed answers and the karma system to reward users. And I can just browse questions and learn new things.
Obviously StackOverflow only works on Q&A style sites, not for a forum.

The reality is, that not everyone has such high ethical standards. Especially not in the games industry for various reasons and I think that this forum and the people here are not your target audience. Truth is, that I heard that other places in the internet - like the Unity forum, to come back at this particular point of your opening post - are very professional ... and plain boring.

I whole heartily disagree with the fact that the Unity Forum was any good in terms of being professional, or offering high quality content. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make this forum into buttplug for stuck up, socially awkward kids like me.

What do you want to discuss that isn't new? Just throw in some things and we can start. --- About the technology switch... well.. maybe there is no fruitful discussion because if you decide to switch, well.. switch. If you come back and tell us it sucked, welcome back. If you are interested how it went, ask. Fogman and Firo for example are trying out Unity at the moment and I don't know how they do their stuff but I am happy for them if they can do something with it - but specifically, for me it isn't interesting how you do a game with Unity because I decided that I will stay with Gamestudio for the next few years for various reasons. They COULD write a post how it went/it is going, but they prefer not to write it. You could ask for it, but it is not plain wrong that it isn't happening.

Oh fuck off with Unity already wink
Post these kinds of articles (each word one link).
Spread knowledge, go outside of the box, discuss things. Or don't, I honestly don't really care that much, I can discover these articles and discussions about them on other platforms as well (did I mention that I'm leaving).

Sid, I have a certain feeling for what you are asking for and what you don't like about this place or certain people, it was not against your opinion in general. The best way to make this place more professional or whatever you think it might be, if that is possible, is to boost your professionalism by yourself, stay here and have a positive effect on the people here instead of ranting about it, -- because that is not constructive. And, ultimately, not professional wink

No offense taken, and I hope you took no offense either! I don't have any hard feelings, I just wanted to state why I'm leaving and be done with it, not start a holy war.
I'm not sure if staying would be the right choice though, nobody likes the fucking wiseguy that shows up in all threads and only tells people that they are wrong, but that's all I can offer (and it doesn't seem to change anything, except that people think I'm an asshole (which I am, don't get me wrong)). I'm not a Gamestudio user anymore, haven't been for years, and I'm not going to show a game I made with Gamestudio. I won't post links to articles as above either, because there doesn't seem to be an audience for them here, and I can engage in active discussions somewhere else.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: WretchedSid] #422196
05/04/13 11:03
05/04/13 11:03
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Good luck Sid! Pop back in once in a while to show us what you have made, and be amazed that this forum still stands laugh.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish [Re: Joozey] #422389
05/08/13 20:29
05/08/13 20:29
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
I forgot how much you people argue over the dumbest shit haha

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de