by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 947 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The ultimate tree shader? #426104
07/16/13 16:34
07/16/13 16:34
S
Stratego Offline OP
Stratego  Offline OP
S

Okay so what I’m looking to do here is have, as the title says, the ultimate tree shader. I’m relatively new to this, but I am fairly competent when it comes to scripting / programming.

What I want the shader to do: Be affected by the sun and dynamic lights, have normal bump with specular, move verts like in the animTree.fx, and have shadow map support so I can bake occlusion.

So the tree would have 2 sets of UVs, one for color and one for shadow. It would have 3 textures, one with color in RGB and transparency in alpha, one with normal map in RGB and specular map map in alpha, and one with a shadow map.

Shadow is the most important, because baked occlusion (on trees modeled correctly) would look great. I modeled the tree below to demonstrate the affect of just occlusion (the tree isn't done yet, but you get the picture). It’s not common for a tree to be upside down, so the lighting should almost always look good.

The reason I’m posting is to see if this is possible. An expert may be out there thinking: “You can’t mix X with Y!” So I figured before I started diving in I’d ask to see what people think.

Last edited by Stratego; 07/16/13 16:59.
Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: Stratego] #426112
07/16/13 17:02
07/16/13 17:02
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Well... I'm not an expert but what you want to do should be possible without any problems.

Little tip: for normalmapping you only need x and y (r and g) of the normalmap, the other two can be used as specular exponent (glossiness) and factor.
(that's what I usually do)

If you need any further help feel free to ask.

EDIT: I didn't see that you want to use 2 UV sets smirk ... this shouldn't be a problem but I've never worked with multiple UVs before so this could be something I can't solve. (the coordinate stuff only)

POTATO-MAN saves the day! - Random
Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: Kartoffel] #426113
07/16/13 17:08
07/16/13 17:08
S
Stratego Offline OP
Stratego  Offline OP
S

Thanks Kartoffel!

Then I'll start digging in. It'll probably take me a bit to get a handle on it, but I'll share whatever I come up with when I'm done.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free!

Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: Stratego] #426139
07/17/13 06:28
07/17/13 06:28
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
hi,

I have little experience in writing shaders, but about 2 weeks ago I wrote a tree shader for shade-c that handles ambient, diffuse, specular, 8 dynamic lights, and the dynamic shadowmapping of shade-c.

it was easier than I expected. I simpply used the basic tree anim shader and the sample shaders from shader workshops, and the lines from shade-c corresponding to its shadowmapping. this way you could do it what you need, there is a normalmapping shader in shader workshops too. I'm not sure baked occlusion is good or bad when you use a proper dynamic shadowmapping that supports self shadows on alpha textures, but can be useful sometimes. maybe the 2nd UV set works like in case of level entities, that utilizes texcoord1 as input to the vertex shader, and entSkin2 for a sampler to be used in the pixel shader. somebody could verify it.

it's new to me that normalmapping requires only r and g values of the normalmap, porbably it has a reason I should read about laugh

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: sivan] #426143
07/17/13 07:12
07/17/13 07:12
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
@sivan: normalmapping works like this (when using precomputed tangents):

Normal = normalize(In.Normal + (Normal.r * In.Tangent + Normal.g * In.Binormal) * NormalmappingStrength);

...and as you can see, the blue channes isn't needed. wink

Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: Kartoffel] #426144
07/17/13 07:48
07/17/13 07:48
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
thanks, it is useful for me. I worked only within shade-c with normalmapping where it is done in a compex way, but finally I can see it. moreover, in shader workshops in.Normal is not used, so another good point laugh a question: is it faster to add and normalize than lerp 2 vectors?

what I still don't really understsand is why there are more methods for specular calculations, which have different final appearance. in shader workshops (and in another tutorial at rastertek.com) a reflection vector is calculated producing imo bad results, I found better to use the halfway vector method.

Last edited by sivan; 07/17/13 07:50.

Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: Kartoffel] #426148
07/17/13 10:04
07/17/13 10:04
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Originally Posted By: Kartoffel
@sivan: normalmapping works like this (when using precomputed tangents):

Normal = normalize(In.Normal + (Normal.r * In.Tangent + Normal.g * In.Binormal) * NormalmappingStrength);

...and as you can see, the blue channes isn't needed. wink

That is a valid simplification/approximation when you don't mind its inaccuracy that is quite noticeable on lowpoly models with hard edges.

Geometrically, a correct coordinate system transportation totally needs the multiply of the In.Normal vector by the blue channel. Moreover, you have to normalize the three vectors since the proportional arithmetic averages passed from the vertex shader are not unit vectors.

Normal = (Normal.r * normalize(In.Tangent)) + (Normal.g * normalize(In.Binormal)) + (Normal.b * normalize(In.Normal));

The result of this operation is a vector with same length of Normal vector so there is no need of its normalization.

sorry for the offtopic xP

Last edited by txesmi; 07/17/13 11:27. Reason: explanatory image
Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: txesmi] #426155
07/17/13 11:51
07/17/13 11:51
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
cool, thanks, there could be a thread about a collection of similar useful things to be used in shaders, because it is not so easy to start with hlsl programming...

Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: sivan] #426171
07/17/13 13:53
07/17/13 13:53
Bavaria, Germany
Kartoffel Offline
Expert
Kartoffel  Offline
Expert

Bavaria, Germany
Originally Posted By: sivan
what I still don't really understsand is why there are more methods for specular calculations, which have different final appearance. in shader workshops (and in another tutorial at rastertek.com) a reflection vector is calculated producing imo bad results, I found better to use the halfway vector method.

Yeah, there are different methods which have different results.

I prefer blinn-phong specular lighting (looks nice and it's not very expensive).

(in case you want a couple of spec-algorithms:)
Code:
#define Specular_Phong(normal, view, light, materialPower)     pow(saturate(dot(reflect(-light, normal), view)), materialPower) // Phong Reflection Model
#define Specular_BlinnPhong(normal, view, light, materialPower)     pow(saturate(dot(normal, normalize(light + view))), materialPower * 4) // Blinn (Phong) Reflection  Model
#define Specular_TorranceSparrow(normal, view, light, materialPower)     exp(-2 * materialPower * pow(acos(saturate(dot(normal, normalize(light + view)))), 2)) // Blinn (Torrance-Sparrow/Gauss) Reflection  Model
#define Specular_TrowbridgeReitz(normal, view, light, materialPower)     pow(1 / (1 + (1 - pow(saturate(dot(normal, normalize(light + view))), 2)) * materialPower), 2) // Blinn (Trowbridge-Reitz) Reflection  Model
#define Specular_Lyon(normal, view, light, materialPower)     pow(1 - saturate(dot(normalize(light + view) - normal, normalize(light + view) - normal) * materialPower / 2), 3) // Lyon/Blinn halfway method

normal = surface normal; view = direction vec from the fragment pos to the camera; light = direction vec from the fragment pos to the light; material power = glossiness / spec exponent (needs to be modified a bit)
(all vectors have to be normalized)

Edit: @txesmi: oops, I didn't know that smirk
However, calculating the blue channel shouldn't be a problem ;P
(I think this works: z = sqrt(1 - x * x - y * y);)

Last edited by Kartoffel; 07/17/13 15:22.

Re: The ultimate tree shader? [Re: Kartoffel] #426179
07/17/13 14:41
07/17/13 14:41
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Blink, Hummel, Superku 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de