by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Nymphodora, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Quad, Imhotep), 847 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Kickstarter.... Would you. #432116
10/31/13 07:07
10/31/13 07:07

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

http://www.kickstarter.com/

Kickstarter is a fund riser site where you can post for people to help fund a project. You can submit a project and if excepted they will post it. You have to set a money goal and a time deadline to raise it. If you do not meet both you get nothing (as I understand it). Your "backers" do not own any part of your project and get no money from it. They are funding to get you start not inventing in the project. (The site say something about offering then gifts or prizes.) The site also doesn't own any part of your project and is not involved in any form with the creation of your project. An Overview here - http://www.kickstarter.com/hello?ref=nav

I first heard about it a year or so back when a mid-sized comicbook company used it to rise the cash to relaunch a popular comic series and give the first 5 issue to the public for free. I've never really give it a good look. There is a push of well-known and connected people trying to use this site to their advantage. But in recent months(or more) a backlash has been risen, calling for the need to keep Kickstarter the place for the small guys,fire-timers, and hopeful dreamers.

I've been thinking about trying to use this to get the money I would need for a project. In the end I will always have to hire outside help for art and coding above my skills and other things.
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games?ref=sidebar

I was wondering if anyone would try this or already has tried this to fund their project.
Please +1 if you would try it.
Please tell the rests of us what we need to know if you've already done it.
Please also give any info you think I person should have on-hand before submitting a project - Budgets - GDocs - Team member signed contract - prototype - whatever you think.

Something like this is my only real shot at pulling something out off my "Where project go to sleep the deep sleep, till zombie day -NOTEBOOKS " and turning it into a reality.

http://www.kickstarter.com/start?ref=nav
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines
Feedback - if just for fun.
Mal

Last edited by Malice; 10/31/13 07:39.
Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: ] #432117
10/31/13 07:34
10/31/13 07:34
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
just don't forget: you have to be based in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand...

for me UK is the closest grin actually London can be called the 2nd largest Hungarian city, due to the fact about 300 thousands of us live out there... feels like home grin

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: sivan] #432119
10/31/13 07:46
10/31/13 07:46

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

grin Well I am US based and could form a small company with very little funding. I hadn't read anything saying that company couldn't have foreign partners. I think a proper way to be set up for any of you to be able to use Kickstarter.com through my development company. One US company team owned. Any way it just an idea for the oversea users to have excess as well.

Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: ] #432127
10/31/13 10:06
10/31/13 10:06
Germany
preacherX Offline
preacherX  Offline

Germany

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1126778555/cats-vs-aliens-war-in-space

I tried it but it was not successful. The biggest problem was, I think, to spread the word outside of Kickstarter. Cause if you don't do this not many people will see your project.
Only if the Kickstarter staff finds your project interesting enough they will present it at their "staff picks" site which brings you more supporter.

So, I guess a good marketing strategy is everything! wink

Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: preacherX] #432128
10/31/13 10:15
10/31/13 10:15
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
@preacherX: and what happens if you are unsuccessful, money goes back to who offered it? and how did you enter from Germany?

@Malice: the same in the UK, a friend lives there, and told me how simple to make a little company, making everything online.

Last edited by sivan; 10/31/13 10:17.

Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: sivan] #432129
10/31/13 10:31
10/31/13 10:31
Germany
preacherX Offline
preacherX  Offline

Germany

Well, your credit card will only be charged if the project is successful, so I wouldn't say that the money goes back, but the pledge the supporter made will be canceled.

I entered with help of a friend who lives in UK. You also don't need to have a company as you can see at my project. You can also enter as indiviual.

Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: preacherX] #432131
10/31/13 10:47
10/31/13 10:47
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
ahh I see. thanks. maybe once it can worth a trial...

Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: sivan] #432138
10/31/13 17:44
10/31/13 17:44

M
Malice
Unregistered
Malice
Unregistered
M

@preacherX I can see what you mean just looking over kickstarter it's hard to find anything that isn't pushed at you.
But I think every dev team needs a mouth piece. Someone who is out there (possibly solely) working on spreading the word about your project. Facebook, social media and there are tons of ways to get people talking about it if you work at it.
But a service like kickstarter opens a door that has always been closed to me. It lets me ask for help from people in a public space under a good window of validity. I could put up my own site and ask for money, but with KS in the middle people can feel a bit safer about giving it(whether they are or not is another subject). If I did my own site - I feel people may not fund, because I have no validity. People will not hand me a CC number, they don't know if I am a scam or if I will take money right away and if I don't reach the goal just keep the money.
Well I start the thread to get people talking and get feedback for when I try to KS a project and I'm starting to sound like a KS ad-spokesmen. So let me stop.
Maybe with all the people selling models and sound and music here, we need someone offering a marketing/public image service for our project. It's My two cents (or 0.01 euro).

Last edited by Malice; 10/31/13 17:44.
Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: ] #432141
10/31/13 19:23
10/31/13 19:23
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
I think about it off and on quite regularly and all the info, including how to go about it, is there to read and follow.

Make promo pieces like vids, website etc...
Have a reward tier for the levels of funding sought...
Build up your case and test it amongst your networks then submit if it seems like it would garner interest.

Then update regularly and keep in touch with all your supporters as this engenders 'word of mouth' advertising and promotion.

BUT above all, make comparisons with successful tenders and design along their briefs.

A big advantage is if you can get your own local media outlets interested enough to run an article about a local initiative (yours)...this is a key element as all western media travel trough the one route to get to your desktop or kitchen table as then global access could follow...

As mentioned above, a promo person is pre requisite.

Re: Kickstarter.... Would you. [Re: Nems] #432152
11/01/13 11:14
11/01/13 11:14
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
or determine a very low target amount of money to be successful grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de