by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba, Konsti, 2 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Comparing money management #441664
05/30/14 09:38
05/30/14 09:38
UK/
F
france Offline OP
france  Offline OP
F

UK/
Hello gents,

I was wondering if anybody has tried to compared the Turtle's MM formula, the one based on volatility with Optimal If.

I see many professional traders, at least based on what they say on articles and webinars, that they employ volatility MM rather than Optimal If.

Best Regards, Francesco.

Last edited by france; 05/30/14 22:38.
Re: Comparing money management (Turtles as example) [Re: france] #441741
06/01/14 12:50
06/01/14 12:50
Germany
webradio Offline
webradio  Offline

Germany
Hi Francesco,
I'm assuming that the following mechanical portfolio system is referred as "turtles": turtlerules.pdf
I didn't comprare their sizing method with OptimalF, but I find the topic very interesting. I'll put down my thoughts here.
Realistically, I can only trade like Turtles if I trade a portfolio, otherwise drawdowns are too deep and long. Turtles deployed fixed fractional position sizing (risking 2% of account - one "unit" - placing hard stop based on volatility). I beleive that Vola and OptimalF are not opposites to choose between. I still can place my hard stop based on volatility and then let OptimalF decide how many % of account to put on risk.
The above statetement about "fixed fractional" is oversimplified, of course. Turtles added contracts (up to three units more) if trade went profitable; they had rules telling how many units are allowed at maximum. I'm not going to repeat them here, it was all about correlated markets.
If I want to trade like Turtles but at OptimalF, I need to define which systems the portfolio consists of. Those would be one per market per long/short per which-unit-is-it (initial, second, third, fourth).
Going further, I would represent Turtles' rule to only enter a new trade after a loosing trade (paper or real one) as pairs of systems in the portfolio: one for trading after loosing trades, another one for trading after winning trades. If it's indeed better to skip a trade after a winning one, OptimalF will yield a zero value for the "after winning" system.
Last not least, if I'm scared by deep drawdowns at OptimalF - rather than trading at a fraction of OptimalF instead of full OptimalF, it's better to split the whole equity into passive part and active part ( another post ).

Moderated by  Petra 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de