by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 735 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Leadwerks 3.2 #442611
06/26/14 17:22
06/26/14 17:22
A
AlbertoT Offline OP
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline OP
Serious User
A

Hello
Anybody using Leadweks 3.2 Lua version
In the pasr it was the most user friendly engine around
now it seems to me a Unity clone
If so...I keep using Unity
Anyway I am not that familiar with the last Leadwerks version, maybe I am wrong
What's your opinion ?

Re: Leadwerks 3.2 [Re: AlbertoT] #442613
06/26/14 18:35
06/26/14 18:35
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Funny I was just wanted to try their 3D World Studio editor.

I am not a pro at this but from what I read is that with version 3 they also integrated the 3D World Studio (instead of using it as a standalone program). That editor seems very similar to the Hammer editor (which seems to user friendly). Though I can't speak from first hand experience yet and am not familiar with LUA.

It seems like an interesting engine. Also it is royalty-free like Gamestudio3D.

ps: I am also interested in hearing other people's opinions about Leadwerks smile

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 06/26/14 19:07.
Re: Leadwerks 3.2 [Re: Reconnoiter] #442634
06/27/14 17:09
06/27/14 17:09
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
ps: I am also interested in hearing other people's opinions about Leadwerks smile

I'm not up to date with the latest developments but upon the release of V3 the author (it pretty much is just one guy) made quite some "not so clever" decisions. With V3 he pretty much started to rebuild the engine from the ground up while abandoning the V2 version while also not delivering certain features meant to come for the V2. He also had some "insane" price wishes for his new work. This lead to many in the community being quite angry at the development as they wouldn't get the desired features / fixes for their V2 version and only could buy a quite overprized V3 which had less features than V2. The author then had to packpedal and adjusted the price to a more "sane" value...

I don't know if he was able to introduce the features he did promise back than but I wouldn't really recommend the engine. It was pretty interesting but the backsteps in features with V3 together with the way he introduced V3 doesn't make the engine's future look too promising. He's also not the only guy working on an engine. I also didn't like the new editor that much - it sort of looked "cheap" and wasn't that rich in features. The only intereseting aspect was the visual scripting part but that's something you can find in e.g. UE4 too or via plug-ins for Unity. I'd rather have a look at the Neoaxis Engine. It just like Unity uses C# for coding / scripting and you can download and use a full version of the engine in order to try it out / use it for non-commercial purposes. I especially was impressed by the enormous number of feature demos / demo scenes you can play and investigate in terms of how it's done...

One also could have a look at the upcoming Shiva Engine 2.0. They have the absolutely worst PR I've ever seen though with endless delays with usually zero communication with the community / the early adopters. The company pretty much also went out of business for a while but now seems to be back on their feet and actually finishing the new V2 of their engine which now is years late. Especially the editor seems to feature an ease of use and adaptability just like for the one Unity has. If its features are convincing and the pricing remains reasonable (right now you can get for a very cheap price as an early adopter and also use the old V1.9.2 engine) this might become quite interesting...

Last edited by Toast; 06/27/14 17:15.
Re: Leadwerks 3.2 [Re: Toast] #442636
06/27/14 18:14
06/27/14 18:14
A
AlbertoT Offline OP
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline OP
Serious User
A

I dont expect a one man engine to be as powerful as Unity , what I mean is that the original Leadwerks was a user friendly engine, that kind of engine making the user manual of non use, everything being selfunderstanding
The new version seems to be rather bloated
Just a gut feeling, anyway, I did not try it out
Also I dont understand why LUA should be considered as a programming Language for artists
To me LUA sounds rather complicated, again maybe I am simply not familiar with this language

Re: Leadwerks 3.2 [Re: AlbertoT] #442664
06/28/14 10:54
06/28/14 10:54
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Thank you Toast for your comprehensive comment; the Neoaxis sounds as an (more) interesting and better engine. It having c# is also a nice. There's one thing I don't really get though in there features list for their different license models ( http://www.neoaxis.com/neoaxis/licensing ). It seems like the more expensive models only get more access to the source code but that with the free version you can already use all the engine functions. But maybe that is me misinterpreting the words 'source code'. I thought source code is only needed if you want to change way the engine or its functions works? It now seems to good to be true to create games. Maybe it is not royalty-free otherwise?

Re: Leadwerks 3.2 [Re: Reconnoiter] #442716
06/30/14 20:36
06/30/14 20:36
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
But maybe that is me misinterpreting the words 'source code'. I thought source code is only needed if you want to change way the engine or its functions works? It now seems to good to be true to create games. Maybe it is not royalty-free otherwise?

I didn't check lately but you indeed did get the full engine for free back then. When looking at the feature comparison it seems that you have to pay only for getting some rather minor physics gimmicks like more than 1 car in its car physics system. The engine itself is free to use - the source code isn't needed to make games with it but it of course is nice to be able to easily do slight changes to the built in features like tuning a shader or influencing the pathfinding to your liking...

Apart from that I think you weren't allowed to earn money with a product developed with the free version which is allright I guess especially when being given the full engine. I'd recommend downloading the free SDK and give it a try. It really has an extensive amount of demo projects you just can run demonstrating certain features each (there even are some demos you could call simple games)...

Last edited by Toast; 06/30/14 20:36.
Re: Leadwerks 3.2 [Re: Toast] #442720
06/30/14 23:35
06/30/14 23:35
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Online
Senior Expert
Quad  Online
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
Since the conversation is already side-tracked:

ALL HAIL UE4. (and lick Rayne.)

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de