by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba), 1,184 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
[SOLVED] - Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine #442996
07/07/14 19:15
07/07/14 19:15
The lit part of the Truth
C
CyberGhost Offline OP
CyberGhost  Offline OP
C

Ok, so I made a level consisting of three corridors and two rooms. The problem is: There is ONE corridor in which the pillars (which are on its both sides. See CORRIDOR01 prefab) are equal in size and everything is ok. But, that is only in WED, when I compile my level, then run it through opening the .wmb file, the pillars on one side appear OK ,but the pillars on the other side are NEARLY UNEXISTENT!! Also, there is a room which looks like a bathroom (you won't wanna know what it really is! wink ). This room sticks out in the corridor. I can see its texture.

Remember: that is only in the engine. Everything is pretty fine in WED. Maybe it's something related to lighting, alpha or Z-buffer. I don't really know much about these stuff grin

Here are some pics:-

1) THE BATHROOM PROBLEM:

IN WED, you can see it is fine:

IN THE ENGINE, you can see it is sticking out a little frown :

2) PILLARS PROBLEM:

IN WED, you can see pillars have equal sizes:

IN THE ENGINE, you can see how the left pillars got SO SMALL:

You can download my level here : http://www.datafilehost.com/d/7a6692e9

SOME INFO:-

I use the following SUN and AMBIENT values:

SUN: R,G,B = 255,255,255
Azimuth: 0 Elevation: 60

AMBIENT: R,G,B = 230,230,230

There aren't any other lights in my level

AND BTW. I USE "CSG SUBTRACT" TO MAKE THE DOOR OPENING OF THE BATHROOM YOU ARE SEEING

---------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading & any help would be appreciated smile

Last edited by CyberGhost; 07/11/14 18:06.

Nothing to say ....
Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: CyberGhost] #442998
07/07/14 20:26
07/07/14 20:26
Germany
J
jenGs Offline
jenGs  Offline
J

Germany
You map seems to be turned to some small degree. This could cause the problem. But I have to say, that my compiler crashed on me trying to compile your level. So I had to compile it flat / no lightmaps.

Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: jenGs] #442999
07/07/14 20:36
07/07/14 20:36
Germany
J
jenGs Offline
jenGs  Offline
J

Germany
Ok, succeeded to compile and the pillars are exactly on the place they should be.
I played around with some settings in the compiler. Perhaps some of the default values causing this.
And indeed, your level has been rotatet. It is slightly not aligned with the grid. That should cause no problem in itself. But your walls are kind of twisted (a tiny bit), which makes them a bit concave (??) .

I hope that helps

Last edited by jenGs; 07/07/14 20:37.
Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: jenGs] #443000
07/07/14 21:36
07/07/14 21:36
C
CyberGhost Offline OP
CyberGhost  Offline OP
C

You mean I should use "Align to grid" for all the level or what??? confused

Nothing to say ....
Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: CyberGhost] #443016
07/07/14 21:52
07/07/14 21:52
Germany
J
jenGs Offline
jenGs  Offline
J

Germany
I don't know if this would solve the problem.

But part of the problem is, that your walls all intersecting a small amount.

I don't use wed for levels so I can't give you much more advice.

But, if you build a level you should use the grid snap from start. Especialy for levels with such basic design.

Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: jenGs] #443026
07/07/14 22:39
07/07/14 22:39
C
CyberGhost Offline OP
CyberGhost  Offline OP
C

What are you using for building levels? I really don't wanna use WED, many bugs and glitches frown ..

btw. you may have gone to the wrong corridor. That's why everything maybe seem OK. There is only one corridor (which I used CSG subtract for) that has the proplem. It is opposite to the corridor you start at

Last edited by CyberGhost; 07/07/14 23:22.

Nothing to say ....
Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: CyberGhost] #443046
07/08/14 12:25
07/08/14 12:25
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
I don't have much experience in WED, but it sounds like you are compiling it as a BSP map but not entirely follow the design rules; http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/ <- click 'map compiler', than right of 'Build BSP Map' click 'design rules'.

Again could be I am talking bullshit here, I don't know for sure.

Quote:
For building an A7 BSP Map, the invisible intersecting parts of blocks are clipped off by the build process, and new edges and vertices are automatically placed at the intersections. This makes rendering faster, because the overlapping parts of blocks aren't rendered (in a Simple Map, all blocks in the view frustum are just rendered over each other). The disadvantage is that small angle differences can lead to large vertex position differences. If surfaces touch or intersect at a very small angle, inaccuracies of only 1/100 degree can move the joining edge position by several pixels, which is really visible in the level.

For this reason, don't use extremely narrow, elongated, or acute blocks for a BSP Map . Do not create blocks with edges smaller than 2 quants. Always try to design your map with as less surfaces as possible, and use as thick blocks as possible. Sometimes you can't avoid surfaces touching at small angles - but even then there's a bad way and a good way to do it. For instance, if you have a sloping road over a hill (side view):

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 07/08/14 12:26.
Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: Reconnoiter] #443050
07/08/14 13:51
07/08/14 13:51
C
CyberGhost Offline OP
CyberGhost  Offline OP
C

@Reconnoiter
No, I compiled it as a simple map. I know that BSP needs designing rules 'n' stuff. I work with the 'default' settings of compiling.

Thank you for your time laugh

P.S. Can you tell me about any 'good' level editor ,please?

Nothing to say ....
Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: CyberGhost] #443051
07/08/14 14:37
07/08/14 14:37
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
I'm sorry but just delete this map, it's way beyond saving. When you work with blocks and don't want to rely only on models, things like this are unacceptable:

As stated before by other posters your blocks have to follow at least some kind of grid (esp. when you want to use BSP maps), not only for technical reasons but to save you from headaches later on (or even right now) and for a little more professionalism.
Your approach should then look somehow like the following:

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Things appear OK in WED and bad in the engine [Re: CyberGhost] #443053
07/08/14 15:02
07/08/14 15:02
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Uhm I will try, but it is still something I am looking into too:

* I heard GED is realtime but buggy too, and something about limited in that you cannot add blocks.
* I heard a new WED is in development, but this could take quite awhile for to be released. Let us pray it will see daylight grin.
* I personally wait for IceX3 by Oliver2s http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=407333#Post407333. His vegatation tool (can be seen in a youtube video on page 6) caught my attention. The only thing is I don't know if progress is really made, could take a long while too before it is finished.
* You can use Sivan's editor, it has alot of features.
* You can make one yourself. I am thinking about doing an extremely simple one purely for simple entity placement so I only have to place blocks in WED and compile in WED. But to be fair, I never looked into it so even though one would make a very simple one, it is probably still alot of hassle to make one.

There are more editors. But WED should not be really buggy I think just outdated, maybe you have something wrong in the compile options? I suggest try toying a bit with the x,y positions of your walls and maybe move them futher away from each other. Also have you followed the WED tutorials? http://opserver.de/doc/wed/

Things that really helped me when working with WED are the following:

* change hotkeys for the various camera and move options to e.g. x,c,v,b etc. This helps improving work speed alot.
* Go to preferences, to 'view options' and disable 'bound box during changes', this will removoy those annoying blue boxes that appear every time you move something, making WED view screens more clear.
* In the same view options, set duplicate offset to 0 and 0. I personally prefer this.
* Go to View, go to GLX properties, that 3D View and/or 2D View and increase view depth to e.g. 10000. This helped me alot for some maps, but again is personal preference.

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 07/08/14 15:03.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de