by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 801 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ogg filter not found - game slow down! #448590
02/11/15 23:31
02/11/15 23:31
Serbia
Iglarion Offline OP
User
Iglarion  Offline OP
User

Serbia
Hi all!

One strange thing just happened to me and i think its good to have it posted somewhere. After inserting a new hard disk in my PC, and fresh copy of windows and 3dgs, i copy my game files to new hard disk. I started the game, change one level, when... my game has slowed down about 30fps. Wtf!? OK let's check graphic driver, directx version and some other things... hmm everything is ok.
Let's back old hard disk, maybe something is wrong with my code. I start game from old hd, when... everything work perfect. Ok lets copy again complete game folder on usb flash, put back new hd, start game... problem is still here.
I open debug window "time for script execution" grow up 10 times when slowdown start. I lost two day to find a reason why this happening. Finally i isolate problem in play_music function, and every time when player change level, code for playing new music start and then "time for script execution" increase from 3-4 to over 30. I install ogg codec and problem is solved.
As things stand now, this mean my game will run like shit if ogg codec is not installed on end user machine.
I noticed the almost same "Engine slowdown syndrom" happening if i load level with missing action or model-texture error.
Whether anyone had a similar experience, or anything else to say on this?

IGRAVISION Page - www.igravision.com
RPG project - The Battle For Forgol 92.75%
Re: Ogg filter not found - game slow down! [Re: Iglarion] #448628
02/13/15 08:24
02/13/15 08:24
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
thanks for the info. I have no experience with sounds, but next week I will do some tests with the missing models and missing textures issue when I have to resave all my MapBuilder example levels due to format changes, before next update.

moreover, in the rare case when I use wmb, after loading the level, I make a cycle through all the entities and make a check whether their action is attached/running or not, if not then it is called (just set the my entity pointer to the actual entity before running the action).

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: Ogg filter not found - game slow down! [Re: sivan] #448645
02/13/15 13:19
02/13/15 13:19
Netherlands
Reconnoiter Offline
Serious User
Reconnoiter  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
tnx for the info, I use ogg sometimes so this is good to keep in mind (although I think I never experienced the fps drop yet). I did experience extremely dull/low-pitched tones when playing one of my games which has alot of ogg soundfiles. I never bothered to check what is precisely was, though I feeling that it may have been the lack of ogg codec as well. That was a while ago though, now it is solved I think.

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de