by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,086 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Enough is Enough [Re: Grimber] #46635
10/28/07 06:07
10/28/07 06:07
Australia
A
adoado Offline

User
adoado  Offline

User
A

Australia
I have been trying to learn HLSL for a few weeks now - and think I have started getting the hang of it. I recommend the book "The CG Tutorial" by NVIDIA - although it did assume that you knew a few things (at least, thats the impression I got), it does help you grasp the concepts....

Visit our development blog: http://yellloh.com
Re: Enough is Enough [Re: Grimber] #46636
11/05/07 00:46
11/05/07 00:46
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

Well, Grimbar, THAT is something I would love to see! It seems exactly like what a lot of artists/3DGS'ers are looking for. The 'tutorials' I've seen about how to use a shader in 3dgs seem to use some techical term to describe another technical term. So "The fuznickle vec0 is simply the reverse of the blinstaknub mat3's RenderVisualVectinswik". ???

It's all fine and well to say "Just use this code...", but when those who don't have a clue go to use it, it doesn't work because the user doesn't know what/how to "fill in the holes" (re: "material = <yourpic.bmp>" is great...but where do I put that .bmp? Does it have to be in one particuar place? Does it have to be in the same dir folder as the .fx? Can it be referenced like ".../mytextures2/yourpic.bmp"? Will any .bmp work, or does it have to be 16-bit? 24-bit? 32-bit? No bigger than 512x512? etc...etc..etc).

Anyway, I hope some folks with the knowledge, time and compassion to help "us shader noobs" step up to the plate. I think one of the main reasons we don't see any "wickkked-kewl" screen shots 'made with 3dGS' is because only about 4 people actually know how to implement a shader into a 3dGS project (ok, so I'm exaggurating about the number of people, it's probably twice that... ). The more artists who know how to stick a .fx file on their kick-ass monster/player/item, the more "wickkked-kewl" screen shots we'll start to see...

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Enough is Enough [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #46637
11/05/07 02:51
11/05/07 02:51
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

The more artists who know how to stick a .fx file on their kick-ass monster/player/item, the more "wickkked-kewl" screen shots we'll start to see...

i thought that could already be done in MED?

learning hlsl is very easy. just ignore the stuff you don't understand straight away and keep going at it. the "intro to shader programming" on the wiki here is very useful and very straightforward. after that it's so easy to use a little trial-and-error and some of your own cleverness (and perhaps analyze some of the wiki shaders) and you'll be there.

i'm not an expert with shaders, but give me a week or two now that i've finished my last ever exam for school (WOO!!!) and i will be. even for the less mathematically-minded, it can't be that hard.

and btw, the tutorial just above "intro to shader programming" is "how to apply a shader to a model". i don't know how well it covers it, but it could be of use.

for those artists who can't program anything whatsoever, i wouldn't think it's hard to assign a .fx file to a model in MED, but i dunno. i don't use MED. just don't try any post-processing effects on a MED model as this probably only works with shaders that rely only on the model's skins.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Enough is Enough [Re: JibbSmart] #46638
11/08/07 15:35
11/08/07 15:35
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline
Serious User
MaxF  Offline
Serious User
M

Minbar
Quote:

I think the next versions of gamestudio should just come with a bunch of fx files.

Shaders V1 & V2 for Normal maps, environment bump mapping, soft shadow and some post shaders should come with an editor as standard and NOT wait for the next version.

In my book its already late in the day to be added shaders & editor, should have done it long time ago

The most import one is normal mapping, so people can model complex models and use the map on low models

Re: Enough is Enough [Re: MaxF] #46639
11/09/07 00:55
11/09/07 00:55
TheExpert Offline
Senior Developer
TheExpert  Offline
Senior Developer

Well :
Normal mapping, specular , water, glow ,refraction
HDR, bloom , mtion blurr , colored vision (night googles,infra red etc ...)
are the standard main ones you need !

No need to learn shader , with theses standard you can already make great games,
and AAA games uses theses.
With normal map /specular you'll have a next gen look :
illusion of very detailled models !

Some 3D engines give you all theses shaders ready to use and apply to your models !

Wait 3DGS to evolve in shaders, or if you can't wait one more year ,
buy another 3D engine now ?

Re: Enough is Enough [Re: TheExpert] #46640
11/09/07 04:47
11/09/07 04:47
Australia
A
adoado Offline

User
adoado  Offline

User
A

Australia
Quote:

Well :
Wait 3DGS to evolve in shaders, or if you can't wait one more year ,
buy another 3D engine now ?

Why wait for 3dgs to evolve? 3dgs can handle HLSL, therefore you can achieve even the more complex shaders, such as SSS, Atmospheric Scattering, etc?

Unless you mean evolve as in have all these shaders included in 3dgs's template package..

Thanks,
Adrian

Visit our development blog: http://yellloh.com
Re: Enough is Enough [Re: adoado] #46641
11/09/07 08:49
11/09/07 08:49
Netherlands
bstudio Offline
User
bstudio  Offline
User

Netherlands
There are very few engines which have an out of the box SSS shader. Mostly engines require you to write more complex shaders yourself.

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.
Re: Enough is Enough [Re: bstudio] #46642
11/09/07 10:21
11/09/07 10:21
Australia
A
adoado Offline

User
adoado  Offline

User
A

Australia
Quote:

There are very few engines which have an out of the box SSS shader. Mostly engines require you to write more complex shaders yourself.

Exactly. But at least you can make a SSS shader and possibly use it in 3dgs

Re: Enough is Enough [Re: adoado] #46643
11/09/07 13:49
11/09/07 13:49
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
I agree with you totally. You can make almost everything with Lite-C. You can even program an Open-GL renderer if you like to.

The small but significant difference is just the little word "make". You have to do all that on your own. This will turn you from a game-developer into a tool or shader developer. If you like that task and you like your hobby - then everything is perfect - if you want to make a game - then it looks a bit different

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Enough is Enough [Re: Machinery_Frank] #46644
11/09/07 15:35
11/09/07 15:35
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline
Serious User
MaxF  Offline
Serious User
M

Minbar
Anyways this is mute as there is a shader tool & shader pack coming re: forecast

I just don't what these to be canceled.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Blink, Hummel, Superku 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de