by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 692 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Getting started with GameStudio is easy #484600
11/18/21 07:23
11/18/21 07:23
D
Dark_Saber Offline OP
Dark_Saber  Offline OP
D

Just begin!

Here's a video I made showing something I threw together demonstrating how easy it is to get started with GameStudio. I compare it to how things operate in Unity because I've been using Unity for over five years now. I figured the comparison might help others as well. I'm a programmer not a PR/marketer so the video is more verbose that it needs to be.
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/y-4LzmL-fhk?t=210[/video]

Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484601
11/18/21 12:19
11/18/21 12:19
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Hey! Welcome to the forum!

It's great to see new GameStudio related videos and newcomers on the forum! laugh
If you don't mind, I would like to make few corrections to your video:

• LiteC isn't a scripting language, as you can see from the features page:
    Still, lite-C is not a script language but a real programming language. It can access all functions from Windows libraries on your PC, including DirectX classes and OpenGL functions. You could write your own 3D engine in lite-C! Unlike many scripting languages like Basic, Python, LUA etc, lite-C is compiled - translated into optimized machine code. Thus a lite-C program runs up to twenty times faster than interpreted scripting languages. This is important as in an abitious game with several thousand actors, 10,000 program functions could run at the same time!
  • GameStudio was lastly updated back in Mar 9 2016 (~5 years ago) and it's not going to receive any updates soon
  • There are bunch of terrible bugs which were never fixed and never going to be fixed (because no updates)
  • There are never going to be any new features added from the Conitec (because no updates)
  • Some of the statements from the ads aren't applicable to GameStudio anymore (f.e.):
    With purchasing a Gamestudio Edition from the Gamestudio website, you aquire the right of lifetime free updates of your engine version. Updates are released in regular intervals as long as the engine version is developed.
  • GameStudio never made it to became OpenSource because of LiteC compiler (and maybe some other under the hood junk)
  • About 90% of the community left GameStudio because of those problems, you can join user-made discord server since it's more active than the forum

So the biggest draw back is, that after buying GameStudio you won't be getting any support/bug fixes/new features. Because Conitec's owner (jcl) switched from GameStudio to his precious Zorro project (trading) and doesn't really care about GameStudio users (old/new). Back at the times when forum was yet more or less alive, there were pro users who offered their help with developing the engine if it because open source, but this never happend and it resulted in GameStudio's death. Jcl does say that he might update the engine in future, but this goes for 5 years straight and he never made any clear statements about this (which is very tasteless on his end).

If you will need anyhelp toying around with GameStudio, feel free to join discord:
Gamestudio Discord

Also to backup some of my statements, take a look at the latest responce from the jcl:
Few update suggestions

My best regards!

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: 3run] #484603
11/18/21 16:21
11/18/21 16:21
D
Dark_Saber Offline OP
Dark_Saber  Offline OP
D

Is there a list of the terrible bugs somewhere I can look at? For example what in the manual isn't working as stated? I've seen some posts online, elsewhere, where someone who made a game and released it commercially said the pro version of the engine can't handle modern resolutions. I compiled a project at 1080p and it ran just fine on my computer which uses Windows 10 Pro.

Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484604
11/18/21 17:20
11/18/21 17:20
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
One bug is in ent_animatefrom in combination with ent_decal fex. The decal will use mesh of the animation source only. One example of a known bug. I dont use decals i dont care, just a example. I would not say its terrible but its a bug.

You can check out bug hunt section btw
And like 3run pointed out lite-c isnt c-script.

Last edited by rayp; 11/18/21 17:24.

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484606
11/18/21 17:37
11/18/21 17:37
Caucasus
3run Offline
Senior Expert
3run  Offline
Senior Expert

Caucasus
Originally Posted by Dark_Saber
Is there a list of the terrible bugs somewhere I can look at? For example what in the manual isn't working as stated?
I'm sorry, but I guess the only person who (I hope) kept track of all bugs is jcl himself. Aside from that, feel free to browse 'Blame the Manual', 'Bug Hunt' and 'Ask the Developers' threads.

Just to backup my words, here are few problems/bugs I found after a brief searching:If you are really into it, I'm sure you'll be able to search/find even more bugs which were never fixed, but what's the point? If this engine was indeed a 'gem' it would be up and running nowadays, it was left by it's users for a good reasons.

From my personal experience, few things that I can recall:
  • build in physX plugin is full of bugs or limitations which make it impossible to use for commercial quality projects
  • it's almost impossible to debug your code
  • you will face some 'guess what?' kind of bugs when you make a commercial project (like crashing, because engine can't save anything into currently installed project, so you need to set save_dir to documents or games folder by hand via WinAPI and manual says nothing about it?)

pro version of the engine can't handle modern resolutions
I can only guess maybe it was related to ultrawide monitors? Anyways, you also should know, that there is no 'out of the box'/buildin solution for getting all monitor resolutions (also multimonitor is a bit tricky, but possible). You will make to make your own solutions with WinAPI (there are several ready to use solutions made by users, but no build in feature to this exists).

I'm not trying to convince you here, just wanted you to know more about the engine before purchasing the license. Because you as a newcomer might not know all the issues.
Anyways, welcome once again and good luck.

Edit:
terrible bugs
Those bugs might not be as terrible as they are in reality. But for me they are terrible, because all those never fixed bugs + jcl not giving a damn thing lead to the death of the GameStudio. Working with this engine for so long and seeing they way it died is very sad.

Last edited by 3run; 11/18/21 17:43.

Looking for free stuff?? Take a look here: http://badcom.at.ua
Support me on: https://boosty.to/3rung
Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484607
11/18/21 17:45
11/18/21 17:45
Germany
rayp Offline

X
rayp  Offline

X

Germany
Never get commercial edition. It has no resource compiler to protect assets etc. Just my point of view

Most the time iam spending to find work arounds.
Is engine worth money? Still i say yes

Last edited by rayp; 11/18/21 17:48.

Acknex umgibt uns...zwischen Dir, mir, dem Stein dort...
"Hey Griswold ... where u gonna put a tree that big ?"
1998 i married my loved wife ... Sheeva from Mortal Kombat, not Evil-Lyn as might have been expected
rayp.flags |= UNTOUCHABLE;
Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484608
11/18/21 17:58
11/18/21 17:58
D
Dark_Saber Offline OP
Dark_Saber  Offline OP
D

ok, thanks for the info laugh

Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484609
11/18/21 20:13
11/18/21 20:13
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
I would only add that something like Unity also has bugs. I hear Unity people complaining all the time, but yes, they are still releasing updates so that's fair.

I still think commercial games are feasible with Gamestudio, but set your expectations. They will likely not look as good as other engines without a ton of extra work. It is harder to get things to work at multiple resolutions etc... I have three 3D Gamestudio games on Steam and they are all in the positive to very positive range as far as reviews. But of course there have been a number of technical issues. Mos of those were my fault, but it's possible some were directly related to the engine.

One good thing is that Linux systems with WINE and Proton seem to be able to handle Gamestudio games fairly well.

I only mention this because a lot of newer Windows games seem to be designed to require certain hardware or software features that are not available on older systems. This makes them less likely to work on Linux.

Another thing I saw was how Unity handled their web player. They just stopped supporting it at one point, and all the games made for the web player stopped working. I guess this may have had more to do with the browsers and how they handled graphics, but it shows how easily a feature can get removed even in a modern engine like Unity.

Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484610
11/18/21 20:18
11/18/21 20:18
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
I love how enthusiastic you are about this in your video!
It is an awesome engine, but you are definitely seeing it through rose colored glasses laugh

Re: Getting started with GameStudio is easy [Re: Dark_Saber] #484611
11/19/21 00:09
11/19/21 00:09
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
It's a lower level engine (as in C is a lower level language than C#), and that's great for understanding how some of the things work in an engine. It still abstracts away some stuff but not as much as unity or unreal. Apart from that, i think that it's not a good engine to start a new project in 2021, because of the limitations of the engine. It catered to a different era. Also when compared to others workflow sucks. Though I admit these limitations and dated workflow has a charm of it's own and forces you to get creative. But if you hit a hard limitation or a project breaking bug it's not fun. Last time i gave up, I was trying to implement a passable PBR shader. I gave up because cubemaps did not have mipmaps, and workarounds were too much work.

I still think JCL should throw away propriety parts(Lite-c compiler plus whatever) and open-source the parts they own the rights to. I just want to plug a new renderer and scripting language to it for old time's sake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de