Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (degenerate_762, AbrahamR, AndrewAMD, ozgur), 667 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: LordRathan] #52979
08/22/05 19:51
08/22/05 19:51
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
you realy have to look at the TYPE of game you are making.

example, if i waned to make a Mario3D/Zelda3D, first person/3rd person shooter like game, especaily when thier outdoor enviroment areas are going to be very ridgedly designed for traffic/direction of play. blocks would be the way to go IMO for landscape

if I was making a game like an isometric view RTS or RPG then I'd go with terrains for exterior enviroments

also have to consider things like your poly count needs when making a game for your performance. like in a firest peerson shooter your view of actions going to be more up close and personal. translates over to needing more higher poly count models for better looking meshs. too offset that need yuo go with block level design which is then prebuilt reducing rendering needs on the enviroment leaving more for the mesh poly rendering.

an iso view RTS on the other hand you cna easily get away with allot of low polygon count models for entitys giving you the freedom to use that hmp mesh for terrains without a serious hit on the realtime rendering.

Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Sebe] #52980
08/23/05 13:33
08/23/05 13:33
Germany, Dresden
lolek Offline
lolek  Offline

Germany, Dresden
Quote:

I wish there would be anything similar for terrains - it creates grass sprites (models are also possible) randomly around the player, but only on the textures you want - that means, only on grass textures.

@lord sebe
You can use the colormap script named tercolor.wdl download at pageend to check if it gras or sand on your terrain. Its gras then start the random script to create gras around the player.

on my HP: simple dialogeditor 2.0, particleeditor with children mdl Models mdl2 mapping tree modeling terrain modeling
Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Grimber] #52981
08/23/05 17:04
08/23/05 17:04

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't really recommend using blocks. Use models and terrains instead but with c_ instructions like c_move, c_trace, etc.

Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial #52982
08/23/05 17:10
08/23/05 17:10
Switzerland; Zurich
S
Sebe Offline
Serious User
Sebe  Offline
Serious User
S

Switzerland; Zurich
Thanks lolek, but you have to know that I already use the colormap
It works great, but it would be easier if there would be a grass script that doesn't need a bmp where I have to define first where I want to have grass (because I want it just everywhere where is grass texture). But I don't want to complain - even if it takes me 15 minutes to get it working, your colormap is great. I don't want to imagine how long I'd have needed if I'd have placed all the 1500+ grass models in my level per hand... so, thank you for the colormap ^.^

Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Sebe] #52983
08/28/05 12:37
08/28/05 12:37
Switzerland
Willi_Leopold Offline
Willi_Leopold  Offline

Switzerland
Hi,

I'm glad, that after so many years my tutorial is still usefull. Loopix called my attention to this topic and it was nice to read.

Wish you all the best and more luck with your game projects than I had.

Regards,

Willi

Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Willi_Leopold] #52984
08/28/05 14:21
08/28/05 14:21
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Quote:

Hi,

I'm glad, that after so many years my tutorial is still usefull. Loopix called my attention to this topic and it was nice to read.

Wish you all the best and more luck with your game projects than I had.

Regards,

Willi

You had less luck with your projects? Why?

Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Pappenheimer] #52985
08/28/05 14:28
08/28/05 14:28
BagEnd, Hobbiton, The Shire, E...
B
Bilbo Offline
Senior Developer
Bilbo  Offline
Senior Developer
B

BagEnd, Hobbiton, The Shire, E...
because every1 ignored him or just rubbished his project i expect, i personally loved it but alas was not around when he wasz a member

http://Lonewolfstudios.syxe.com - now in php! Bah, I'm nerd enough to enjoy the rattling ~ laethyn
Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Bilbo] #52986
08/28/05 18:43
08/28/05 18:43
Switzerland
Willi_Leopold Offline
Willi_Leopold  Offline

Switzerland
No, this wasn't the reason. Of course there were critical voices, but mainly I got very positive resonances. There were many reasons to stop the project - too many to count them all here - for example some private problems like health problems.

Then I was very frustrated because of the then new version of the 3DGS many things didn't work anymore. I also realized, that's impossible to make such a game alone, especially if it shouldn't be a 0-8-15 game. I had worked 2 years on the game and the first level was still not finished. And it was already then outdated. So I'm very surprised, that my tutorial is still helpful.

But the main reason was, I had found a company that wanted to develop the game together with me professionaly and distribute it worlwide. I still have the 30+ pages of contract. But then the company went bancrupt. After that I had no motivation to continue my work.

But Loopix' mail to tell me about this topic brought back a little bit game fever. So I have opened a new site on my homepage with 2D-games. There you will find the predecessor of "Malika - The Young Sorceress", an isometric 2D-game, created with The Games Factory. During the work on this, the idea for the 3D-game was born, so I stoped this project and switched to 3DGS. If you want, you can download the 2 levels of "Malika - The Sorceress Queen" I had made. Maybe you want to take a look at what was before the 3D-game.

Sorry, at the moment the game is only on the German version of my website, but the game is in English.

Willi

Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Willi_Leopold] #52987
08/28/05 20:13
08/28/05 20:13
ch
Loopix Offline
User
Loopix  Offline
User

ch
Hey Willi...is it really you? I'm very happy to see you loged in! Thanks also for your statement to the troubled destiny of Malika! I hope things are going better for you now...also in privat.

Thanks a lot for sharing Malika 2d...the screens are looking great...I'm downloading it right now...

Cheers!

Re: Willi Leopold's Outdoor Level Design Tutorial [Re: Loopix] #52988
08/28/05 20:19
08/28/05 20:19
Germany
CD_saber Offline
CD_saber  Offline

Germany
Nice to see you here in 3DGS Forum again. For a few minutes, it felt like 2 or 3 years ago.

Ja, lach du nur du haariges Pelzvieh!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de