by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, TedMar), 1,007 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Env_Map from Wiki , Help #59015
11/14/05 23:53
11/14/05 23:53
M
MentalAbyss Offline OP
MentalAbyss  Offline OP
M

Hey,
I need some help setting up the env_mapping shader out of the wiki. I have been working with this for two days and have tried everything I know but still nothing useable has come from it. What I have is a coin. I want to control the reflections of the env-map with the alpha just like the information on the shader says you can do, but I知 not having any luck. What I get is a darkened overlay on my model. Her are some pics.

No material on the coins.

Env_mapp shader with a 50% alpha

Env_mapp with 100% white alpha

As you can see I知 not getting the desired effect, all I get as I change the alpah percentage is a draker coin and not a coin with an env_mapp

Here is my env-mapp that I知 using

And the texture and it's alpha

Can anyone offer any pointers? I want the coins to reflect the env map as they turn about. Also, I am rotating them with the c_rotate command. Judging from the color that my coins are with full blown alpha it looks like the top section of the env_map is being used all over the coin. Is that possible? If so, what is causing it to do that instead of projecting the entire env map? All help is appreciated. Thanks

edit**FYI: GeForce 6600**

Last edited by MentalAbyss; 11/15/05 00:11.

A6 Developer, Contractor and Content Producer. See our digital goods for sale at www.GameKnack.com Ask about our contract services for models, scripts and level design at www.MentalAbyssStudios.com
Re: Env_Map from Wiki , Help [Re: MentalAbyss] #59016
11/16/05 07:40
11/16/05 07:40
The Netherlands
Helghast Offline
Expert
Helghast  Offline
Expert

The Netherlands
here's what fixed mit for me... sounds weird... but if you use phtoshop make the texture itself (not the alpha) transparent, that makes it give the shinyness.

regards and hope it works,

Formerly known as dennis_fantasy
Portfolio - http://www.designorhea.com/
Project - http://randomchance.cherrygames.org/
Re: Env_Map from Wiki , Help [Re: Helghast] #59017
11/16/05 09:39
11/16/05 09:39
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

I dont know why it doesnt work, but for sure the above suggestion cant be right..

One possible reason is that that cubic env mapping , at least doen in this way with the auto gen cood camrea space reflection vector, doesnt work right on flat areas.. so maybe the side of the coin, being flat, doesnt reflect in the expected way.

Also, did you make sure to make the texture a cubemap in script? use bmap_to_cubemap(yourbmap);

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Env_Map from Wiki , Help [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #59018
11/16/05 11:50
11/16/05 11:50
A
AAM Offline
AAM  Offline
A

If your seeking a metalic effect then the shader from Steempipe (WaterShader)
would come in handy i used it , turn of the water effect by setting :
float RippleScale = 0.28;
To
float RippleScale = 0.0;
and:
float cos_x=cos(vecSkill41);
float sin_y = sin(vecSkill41);
To
float cos_x=1;
float sin_y = 1;

didnt try it but i it should wright.
and you can control the opacity by :

PixelShaderConstant[0] = {0.80,0.80,0.92,0.88};

the 0.88 is the alpha value .
all what i mentioned are in the .fx file.

search for it.

& thanks Steempipe for a greate shader.

If You Treat a Persone As He Is He Will Be As He Is, But If You Treat Him As He Should Be , He Will Be As He Should Be ,And Can Be.
Re: Env_Map from Wiki , Help [Re: AAM] #59019
11/17/05 04:05
11/17/05 04:05
M
MentalAbyss Offline OP
MentalAbyss  Offline OP
M

Thanks for the ideas and responses guys,! I got that shader working, well I shouldn稚 say that, but rather I got it doing what I needed. Which was more of a shine map than a true env map. I made a new cube map to resemble gold shine and highlights. But the main thing that seemed to get it working was I moved the second shader function, the one that sets up the matrix and placed it in a starter. I put some debug stuff in that function to test to see if it was getting called and it was not. So I moved the matrix setup into the starter and it works fine now. Thanks for the help though.

I have got interested in shaders now so I値l be lurking in this thread more often I hope, of course I知 not sure I can offer much help atm, but for some reason shader code interests me. I read the wiki stuff earlier and that got me going, now in the HLSL workshop. So keep up the good work you guys are a terrific source of knowledge. Later

A6 Developer, Contractor and Content Producer. See our digital goods for sale at www.GameKnack.com Ask about our contract services for models, scripts and level design at www.MentalAbyssStudios.com
Re: Env_Map from Wiki , Help [Re: AAM] #59020
11/17/05 23:59
11/17/05 23:59
Maryland, USA
Steempipe Offline
Serious User
Steempipe  Offline
Serious User

Maryland, USA
@AAM: Glad you find it useful!

Moderated by  Blink, Hummel, Superku 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de