by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD), 1,151 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lighting not working in just one level #64450
02/16/06 13:36
02/16/06 13:36
Aphius_Diamoue Offline OP
Aphius_Diamoue  Offline OP

I think this is the right section,

I have a problem where in just one level the lighting doesn't work. In every other level I have I can use lights, but in this one level no matter how many or how few lights I place there is just no effect and the lighting stays at default levels. Like in this one:

In this one, like every other, the lights work to make shadows, and I could make them green or blue and whatnot. However in this one:

the lighting doesn't change no matter how many or how few lights I put in.

Does anyone have any advice as to what the cause may be? I'm using GS Pro 6.22, but I don't know if it's a version problem since the lighting in other levels works.

Re: Lighting not working in just one level [Re: Aphius_Diamoue] #64451
02/17/06 21:14
02/17/06 21:14
Germany
nightshade Offline
Serious User
nightshade  Offline
Serious User

Germany
You may should update to 6.40.2... To your pics, did u make that? It looks like Zelda :P. It's the same geometry, did u get it on the net? Nice work!

Re: Lighting not working in just one level [Re: nightshade] #64452
02/18/06 03:44
02/18/06 03:44
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
it might be how ur setting up ur lights , you have to make sure ur lights are touching the walls , how far they radiate , u should be able to see it in wed, under preferences u can toggle it on or off , when u click on a light in any view port , u should see if a yellow circle arround it which shows where the light reaches , if a light isnt reaching anything , wall or floor or something , it wont show at all. I'm not exactly sure how accurate i am here , but i think i'm right , i had a problem like this some time ago and solved it this way , check ur lights and see if they are reaching the floor/walls ect.

Re: Lighting not working in just one level [Re: Aphius_Diamoue] #64453
02/18/06 16:35
02/18/06 16:35
USA
TeutonicDarkness Offline
User
TeutonicDarkness  Offline
User

USA
Hello,

Just out of curiousity...
is the level in question and outside level?

Does it have a roof or a roof with a sky texture?

If so that most likely is your problem!

As if the engine thinks there is suppose to be
Sunlight lights will never
look right.

Your Version should not matter...
I used 6.22 for quite a while and it never
did that!

Hope this helps ..

*** teutonic Darkness ***

Re: Lighting not working in just one level [Re: TeutonicDarkness] #64454
02/19/06 02:08
02/19/06 02:08
T
Trev101524 Offline
Trev101524  Offline
T

:0, you are remaking ZELDA!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS, I love that game. anyways, did you change the ambient levels when compiling the level. That would keep the whole level one lighting, regardless of extra lighting.

Re: Lighting not working in just one level [Re: Trev101524] #64455
02/19/06 11:46
02/19/06 11:46
Aphius_Diamoue Offline OP
Aphius_Diamoue  Offline OP

I have remade some of the Zelda settings to a point, but I don't really have plans for making a whole game from them just yet.

Well, thank you for your help everyone,

I tried Why_Do_I_Die's suggestion first, by placing a random block and sitting a light next to it and it worked! My level lit properly and all was right again.

The reason I would guess for the lights not working, based on the suggestions was that none of the lights were able to reach any actual level geometry. This is due to some of the shapes and other fickle things about the Zelda levels being tough to recreate in WED, pretty much everthing is constructed from MDLs since I find them easier to work with for this, but that makes lighting them properly a bit of a pain in the butt. >:|

The level was also an outside one with a sky texture above it, so that may have contributed somewhat too.

While I'm on the subject of lighting and the construction of my level, is there any way to get the light to react like it does on walls to models? I don't know if it's just me, but when I place an object thats an mdl and the light hits it, it seems to light the whole thing at one level of light. I just thought I'd ask, since it'd look a lot better to get more of a gradient over parts of the characters and stuff.

Maybe it's just me who has this problem.

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de