by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,510 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
were should i start #64660
02/19/06 18:18
02/19/06 18:18
UK
SwordsGateSCAS Offline OP
SwordsGateSCAS  Offline OP

UK
i ant really used this much
my team is farther then me i need to catch up
i want to start all over

i like to create a platfom game
3rd person only

were to start

Changing web site getting a new job moving to spain hopely making a game like zelda oft
Re: were should i start [Re: SwordsGateSCAS] #64661
02/19/06 18:25
02/19/06 18:25
Curitiba/Brazil
nunofontoura Offline
nunofontoura  Offline

Curitiba/Brazil

Re: were should i start [Re: nunofontoura] #64662
02/20/06 00:35
02/20/06 00:35
Southern California, USA
G
GhostwriterDoF Offline
GhostwriterDoF  Offline
G

Southern California, USA
Maybe this is a good place to place this post since I would prefer not to start a new thread.

Ok. I have some projects outlined and waiting to be implemented. Soon I'll be getting the 3DGS A6Pro environment since it best fits my needs for what I'm hoping to accomplish.

After reading through the threads (and the manuals) there are some additional features and addons that can improve my ability to translate my writing into this 3D interactive medium. Particularly important to me is powerful texturing tools. Most importantly is reliablity and function.

Eventually I will be wanting to create night/day skys with details including some constellations in the artwork.

I wish to limit conversions between programs as much as possible to keep compatability with the 3DGS environment. Losing detail or having to reset bone animations is a concern to me. Also I am limited on funds, so that is also a consideration. bleh

Saving Matt_Aufderheide the trouble of posting I am already considering the Sphere Engine and also Gamespace to add to my 3DGS laboratory.

I've posted this to ask the community if you have any suggestions for me to add to development, both in function and presentation. Some tools, if I understand the posts, are used as shortcuts. For example using Terragen to create terrain heightmaps by some of you (not sure about compatability though).

If you do respond to this post, could you give a simple explanation why to use the program/plugin/utility with GameStudio plus the benefits and limitations?

Thanks in advance

The rivers of time erode away the mountains of existence...
Re: were should i start [Re: GhostwriterDoF] #64663
02/20/06 01:46
02/20/06 01:46
laethyn Offline
laethyn  Offline

Photoshop - self-explanatory I believe. Nothing is as powerful when it comes to making your textures. Yes, there are others that will do the job (and I don't want to get into a big argument about PSP vs Photoshop vs Gimp vs whatever) but it's a professional tool, and will do whatever it is you need doing, even if you don't know you need doing it What I mean is as you get more into the game, you may find yourself needing something that you just don't have, should you have decided on other software. I'm willing to bet that Photoshop will have it.

Read the manual, it's a good place to start learning ~ ulillillia
Re: were should i start [Re: laethyn] #64664
02/20/06 02:35
02/20/06 02:35
Southern California, USA
G
GhostwriterDoF Offline
GhostwriterDoF  Offline
G

Southern California, USA
Ah, terrible but true laethyn. If I could afford Photoshop I would get it. It was the cost of PS(alone) and 3DsMax that led to me find GameStudio. For that I am lucky, and can live without having the best. I use gimp as a learning tool.

Finding out now what I have been missing all these years with 3D graphics . I'll learn to live within the confines of the "GameStudio and Friends" environment as much as possible, hence this post. As you say, "find yourself needing something you just don't have". Don't have enough hair to be pulling out of my head nowadys.

Using Gmax now as a learning tool as well. I love the 3D modeling. It is like scultping, something I have always wanted to do, except no chipped pieces all over the floor when you are finished!

Maybe my motivations are bit different than most who start creating games, since I could care less about making piles of gold, I still want to create awesome games. Maybe create games that really aren't games but people play with them anyway, and especially start fiddling around with AI. If I can make a few coins along the way... even better.

Is it true that someone will pay me a billion dollars (read it in a post here) if I can come up with an efficient bot management system that needs no navemeshes?

The rivers of time erode away the mountains of existence...
Re: were should i start [Re: GhostwriterDoF] #64665
04/22/06 01:05
04/22/06 01:05
Glasgow, Scotland
Lost Offline
Lost  Offline

Glasgow, Scotland
Age old story, don't start too ambitious if you've not got much experience at all. It may look and sound like a walk in the park now but making a complete game is a massive undertaking that will take work, hours of it, so don't waste your time on something that'll give you a learning curve steeper than a vertical cliff.

But if you want to get a project itself of to a positive start I would suggest...

1) Get your player model in a fit state, your game wont feel like your game without your main character at least patched together.
2) Create a basic testing level and then go to work on creating your fully functional player entity. If your a lone wolf then your going to struggle to make any sort of useful level when your workflow relies on you alone.
3) Once you've got a semi-working model for a semi-working player script then give making a full level a go. If you want everything in the game to be yours by the end, make everything yours from the start. Avoid free textures and models in other words and make your own.

Then just work your ass of and hopefully you'll have something to be proud of by the end.

Lost Games WIP - Nysho and the Attack of the Boons Rise up and flame me like the prepubescent man you outa be son!

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de