by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,199 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
An "all purpose database" #69288
04/01/06 05:41
04/01/06 05:41
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
Hi;

This is a little different approach, as I am not submitting now but asking for your imput before I release. I have an in-house database that I have written. Currently it will support most datatypes (including "bfg" - big friggin graphics ) ie., any graphic datatype you wish to store in the data file. That means you define the database ONCE - fields and it will read it.

I developed this for a RPG currently in production. I am willing to release it to this community. Here's the unique part - Would like to know what you would like to see in it. It's an executable written in DELPHI. I can redesign the frontend - and to that end - based on what you imput. Will release it in the NEXT WEEK (7 - 10 days), here - but if you post here with suggestions, I will try to include them in the alpha.

Currently it supports:

- most data types
Code:

# 40 Ciphers (IDEA, Blowfish, Twofish, DES, Square ...)
# 23 Hashs (MD4/5, SHA/1, RipeMD, Havel, Tiger ...)
# 5 Checksums (CRC32, CRC16-CCITT, CRC16-Standard ...)
# 6 Textformats (MIME Base 64, XX/UU Coding, RFC1760 Six Word ...)
# 2 Randoms (LFSR Linear Feedback Shift Register with variable Period upto 2^2032-1 ...)
# with Ciphers can be encrypt in Modes CTS/ CBC/ CFB/ OFB/ ECB
# Ciphers supports Message Authentication Codes in CBC-MAC/ CFB-MAC/ CTS-MAC
# fast Implementation (i.e. Blowfish > 8Mb/sec, MD4 > 27Mb/sec)

The front-end will be implement via standard table design - open ended (ie., append) using common row/column relational (one->many) table design. The program will be "smart" enough to handle C-script and how you access it. As it's a general database, should be able to store whatever you want and since it's propietory, will be hard to crack since it's not a "standard" protocal.

Hence - should be able to save any characters, associated properties, dialog - ect.

I will release the .exe's first here - the create database and editing later this week - after I get some feedback. Then will release the .dll and associated c-script so that you can access it.

OK guys and girls - your change to actually tell me what you would like to see implemented. Sorry if this is the wrong place to release it since I didn't link the tool, but I would like the feedback first. The first .3 alpha I will release later this week

-myKael (aka frozenbaby).

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69289
04/01/06 07:49
04/01/06 07:49
Budapest, Hungary
DEX Offline
Serious User
DEX  Offline
Serious User

Budapest, Hungary
This will be very usefull contribution. Thanx. With this dll a lots of edu titles can be made with easy, lexicons, quizes etc. Keep it up.
Just imagine, player going around, finds a book and database open with some historical data inside.
I think you should make imple database editor to create, add, delete records, and export database to format readable to your dll. It is good workflow and not too hard to make.

DEXSOFT-GAMES.COM
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: DEX] #69290
04/01/06 11:02
04/01/06 11:02
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
A feature I would like to see, would be a tool to create data sheets, and set it up like a class.
So for example an editor where you just say:
New > Datasheet (or db table)
And then be able to give the rows and/or columns different data types, like:
NPC.db
index_nr (integer) | name (string) | inventory (string-array) | ...
1 | Horak | sword.mdl,shield01.mdl ... |
2 | Dude | wand.wdl,potion.mdl ...

Or something similar to it.
So you don't have to create the layout with c-script but use a tool coming with the database.

Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Xarthor] #69291
04/03/06 01:20
04/03/06 01:20
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
Apparently - beyond friends and collegues - this is not a "Popular" contribution. Tomorrow I will post a demo - a simple address program to implement the system.

Some electrons may have been harmed in transmission, but most were caught in the "electronic condom" and recycled.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: frozenbaby] #69292
04/03/06 06:12
04/03/06 06:12
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

This place is dead on the weekends, so give it time.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Orange Brat] #69293
04/03/06 15:00
04/03/06 15:00
Germany
T
Thomas_Nitschke Offline
Senior Developer
Thomas_Nitschke  Offline
Senior Developer
T

Germany
Hey then, come on, let's make it popular!

No,seriously - A database system for 3DGS would be awesome, indeed! With 3DGS not supporting any regular expressions or the likes, it can be a real pain storing all the info you need in files only using the builtin c-script commands. A "real" database system would do wonders here!

Formerly known as The Matrix - ICQ 170408644 I've been here for much longer than most people think. So where's my "Expert" status?
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Thomas_Nitschke] #69294
04/03/06 16:18
04/03/06 16:18
Curitiba/Brazil
nunofontoura Offline
nunofontoura  Offline

Curitiba/Brazil
I'm interested too. A database program is useful.

Last edited by nunofontoura; 04/03/06 16:18.
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: nunofontoura] #69295
04/03/06 16:47
04/03/06 16:47
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
@frozenbaby:
One useful thing to add, would be (like in mysql) queries.
So like:
select this row of data where this column is this value.
Lets say:
You have two tables (both with running numbers 0,1,..." as first colomn)
Now in the first table you have a NPC at all its attributes, and in the second the quests of the game.
Now the NPC has a column with an array of all the quest you can get from him.
Now one of those value (from the array of the npc quest number column) is the "running number" (index) in the quest table.
So you want to get the 'title' and 'discription' out of the quest table by taking the number of the npc table.
You know all those mysql query kinda things

Hope this was understandable somehow.

Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Xarthor] #69296
04/04/06 16:51
04/04/06 16:51
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
IF you want to know more about this, check out the Todays Podcast with Frozenbaby as our interview guest.

http://www.xware-cg.be/blog/index.php/2006/04/04/podcast-from-040406/

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: An "all purpose database" [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #69297
04/14/06 05:57
04/14/06 05:57
USA
frozenbaby Offline OP
frozenbaby  Offline OP

USA
Hang in there - lol . Know it's been awhile since I announced this would be released, but have decided to go full "tilt". I have rewritten the engine. It will now include SQL and queries on the fly (i.e., dynamic table building).

I have listened and thought for the "indy game developer" this would not be necessary and most level desigeners would NOT be interested in the mechanics of database design in conjunction with game development. However, it would appear that this is NOT the case - so decided to add additional levels of functionality.

I am now associated with indyGLOW. As such, as posted and promised - will release to this community the database WITH the additional functions, - in alpha for use free. Be advised that the "larger" package is being developed for commercial aspects.

The client will be "thin" - so that tables that are in use cannot be changed - the server "fat" but quick. I hope to have a demo out later this weekend. Give me a "Few" as I will not release with "common" bugs. That is to say, I have had the client/server running for the last 4 days here - generating random tables and querries to watch it's behavior. Being now satisfied with it's performance I am ready to apply changes to the front-end; hopefully simplifying it so that NON-DATABASE PROGRAMMERS will get a firm grasp.

I appreciate your patience, and, don't think you will be disappointed with this application. Here are just a few of the changes I have implemented:

Code:

-client/server database engine.
-requires that all data additions, modifications and deletions are
transactions, i.e., be contained in a transaction action. This
ensures all changes to your databases are committed, or rolled back
in the event of a catastrophic failure.
-indexes will be composite: comprised of keys that are generated from
one or more fields in the tables; enabling comparison without the need
of a SQL (Structure Query Language) query.
-SQL will support a subset of the SQL-99 standard.
-Full data dictionary.

... ect .

All this may sound abit daunting, which was not my original intention, but I have built a front-end to make it simple enough to quickly implement a database system for the non-programmer and inclusive enough for the more "hearty" programmer to diversify.

My next post will be the link to download.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de