Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (degenerate_762, AbrahamR, AndrewAMD, ozgur), 667 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Some questions about GS #72688
05/01/06 07:41
05/01/06 07:41
A
arcooke Offline OP
arcooke  Offline OP
A

I have a few questions/concerns about GS. I've been looking around at things created with GS for the past hour or so, and it seems like nice software.

However... all of the demos I've played, or watched videos of, seem to all have very low poly models, and very low resolution textures. Why is this? Can GS not handle high polycounts and hires textures? Or is it just becuase that's how the modelers/programmers decided to design it?

Are games created with GS actually compiled, or are they just scripts that interact with an internal engine?

I'd really like to start learning to create 3D games (I currently design 2D games). I just want to make sure this software isn't so limited that I'm going to end up disappointed when I finally get the hang of things.

Thanks!
Adam

Re: Some questions about GS [Re: arcooke] #72689
05/01/06 07:58
05/01/06 07:58
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
GameStudio can handle decent polygon counts , and reg resolution textures , meaning u can make a pretty nice game with it , but dont expect to make the next unreal tournament with it. Most of the low res art u see and low poly models are just because thats how the people make them , lately much better art has been created for gamestudio than the one from the past years , and in fact , a lot of times u'll see something that looks like a low res texture being used and it's actually a very low quality 512x512 texture being used , so dont let that fool you , the better the art you make for it the better the game will look , it's simple. If in doubt , just get some textures from unreal tournament 2004 or something and put them on some geometry in gamestudio and run it , u'll see they look pretty good. If you wanna learn to design 3d games , then i'd say GameStudio is the right choice , it;s simple enough for a novice , and powerfull enough for a developer , so i highly doubt u'll be dissapointed.

Re: Some questions about GS [Re: arcooke] #72690
05/01/06 15:06
05/01/06 15:06
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

I have a few questions/concerns about GS. I've been looking around at things created with GS for the past hour or so, and it seems like nice software.

However... all of the demos I've played, or watched videos of, seem to all have very low poly models, and very low resolution textures. Why is this? Can GS not handle high polycounts and hires textures? Or is it just becuase that's how the modelers/programmers decided to design it?

Are games created with GS actually compiled, or are they just scripts that interact with an internal engine?

I'd really like to start learning to create 3D games (I currently design 2D games). I just want to make sure this software isn't so limited that I'm going to end up disappointed when I finally get the hang of things.

Thanks!
Adam

The polygon count limit is slightly over 130,000. The main limit is 65,535 vertices. Such huge models like this are not recommended though. Polygon counts from 2000 to 5000 (from a benchmarking experiment I did a few months ago), have the fastest rendering time with greatest detail. This limit is because of DirectX - it's a limitation of DirectX.

The texture size can be almost anything, limited only by your hardware. My video card, Radeon 9600 XT, supports textures of up to 2048x2048. The demos probably avoid these huge textures because of the huge download size associated with them. Uncompressed at true color, that's 12 MB. Besides, 256x256 textures render the fastest so demos are likely to use those more than anything else. I recommend not going above 1024x1024 for compatibility and always use square-shaped textures.

Scripts are compiled when starting up the engine. After compiling, the game runs.

I'm making a 2D game with 3DGS so 3DGS isn't just 3D only - it can work with 2D.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Some questions about GS [Re: ulillillia] #72691
05/01/06 22:10
05/01/06 22:10
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Quote:

The polygon count limit is slightly over 130,000. The main limit is 65,535 vertices.

While I haven't tested this myself (yet) I do not think this is correct. There is technically no polygonal limit imposed by the engine. Of course, your hardware will tell you how much you can and cannot use effectively. The vertices limit you point out sounds a lot more like the old 3DS file limit and perhaps that has come over into MED (again, I am not sure), but I am certain I can surpass more than 65K vertices in a single level in WED and not have a problem (i.e. not run into a hard coded limit with the engine).

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Some questions about GS [Re: Dan Silverman] #72692
05/02/06 01:27
05/02/06 01:27
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Yes, I've gotten over even 131,072. Normally, it's 2 polygons per vertex (a closed mesh), of which is the common basis. Then, of course, you could connect other vertices in some other screwy way giving an absolute true limit of 2^65533 which is approximately 2.504412413E19727, an astronomically high number. A triangle has 1 triangle. A square has two triangles, but connected in another way 2 more making 4. A pentagon has 3 triangles, but there are 3 rotational sets making 9. A hexagon would have 16 and so on. That's where it comes from. PM me for further details if you don't get where this 9 and 16 are coming from. There's no sense in doing that as it would take more disk space than all digital data storage devices ever made (hard drives, memory, CD's, floppies, etc.).

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de