Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 953 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
When you die, then what? #73397
05/07/06 02:58
05/07/06 02:58
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline OP
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
When you die, what do you think will happen afterwards for you?

I think that three things will occur. The first part would be a review of your life and how things went. As part of this review, you can ask questions to learn secrets that you otherwise would've never known. If, for example, your sister stole your favorite toy you've loved for years and always denied it, you can ask what really happened and you'd then know the real truth.

The second part is the main part - where your long-wanted wishes become real. If you've, for example, wanted to cruise around the world at high speed any way you wanted and be immune to all forms of damage, you'd have it.

The third part involves "choosing" who and what you'll be, and have a basic outline of events. The better you did in your last life, the more "points" you can spend.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: When you die, then what? [Re: ulillillia] #73398
05/07/06 08:16
05/07/06 08:16
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
You actually seem to have a look at your life as a game and movie:
everything will be solved and all hidden items and extras are free and "happy end".

I don't expect something new, when I die. I hope, it won't be a brutal way of dying. But, I expect that I won't see and hear and smel and feel and think after that anymore, and that's quite ... nice.

A philosopher, as I was told, said: "The death comes always at an unsiutable time."
I mean, if you are awaiting the death as something where everything gets solved and turns out nicely, then you do it the wrong way round.
Live now, fight for your life to get the solutions and rewards within your daily life.
I guess that you feel that these are bigger tasks than you can manage.
So, I would recommand to work on short challenges first, but don't forget to increase your challenges from time to time. (I mean, especially that social challenges. You mentioned your sister, but there are others like neighbours, colleages, friends, relatives, strangers... each encounter a challenge for dignity, honesty, politeness, cooperativeness, trust, distrust and courage.)

Life is now, not in the eve of death.

Sartre said: "The hell, that are the others!"
But there are other philosophers like Levinas who said something like this: "The Other is the always new and never fully discovered, the Other is the risk and the chance of our self..." (This is not exactly quoted, it is more like I understood him. His philosphy is a bit more complicating than Sartre's. )

I knew a man who was in a relationship where everything was managed by his girlfriend, he couldn't decide the simpliest things and he was unable to organize and handle his life. I met him years later, he left her, and he was sort of hyped about the challenges of life, about the feeling to do things based on his own decisions, about how exciting it is to get a thing done on his own!

Another man, I know him from an association, was about to suicide after his father died, then he went to a psychiatry, and after that he joined the association in hope to get a job there. The association is somehow a family to him, but more complex one with a lot of characters! So, there he can collect experiences to establish an own strategy to 'survive'. Hopefully.

Everybody has his specific challenges within his abilities and his own character-istic restrains and social environments.
They won't solve while dying, they and their rewards are part of the life right now, every 'now' again.

[Sorry, if this is too close to your private affairs. But, somehow your posts are 'longing' for such a response. ]

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: Pappenheimer] #73399
05/07/06 08:53
05/07/06 08:53
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
Something I find interesting is that no-one worries about the infinity before they were born. There is no great reason to think after you die will be any diferrent, except wishful thinking.

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: A.Russell] #73400
05/07/06 16:16
05/07/06 16:16

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Of course, I think one of two things will happen. Hell or Heaven.

I think once we get to heaven though, we're not going to care about what happened in our previous life. The only time we're going to have to worry about it is at the initial judgement. After that, we'll want to forget all about it. We're not going to have all of the same desires and problems and emotions and pain, etc. So why would we want to reflect on a life caught halfway between heaven and hell? Once we're in hell, I can't even speculate. It'll be absolutely horrible I assume.

Quote:

Something I find interesting is that no-one worries about the infinity before they were born. There is no great reason to think after you die will be any diferrent, except wishful thinking.

Something I find interesting is that no-one accepts that the universe was obviously created, and instead spent their lives thinking that humanity is the best there is.

I think allowing yourself to ignore the obvious, once you're old enough to understand the difference (part of the reason we were created) is wishful thinking.

Re: When you die, then what? #73401
05/07/06 20:23
05/07/06 20:23
Germany, Bavaria
Sinthoras Offline
Sinthoras  Offline

Germany, Bavaria
My opinion is a "bit" more pessimistic (but maybe also more realistic?)

Just before the moment of death, there might be a short life review. All right, I can accept this (as it was reported by people being nearly dead).
If your death is a very fast one, like dying in an explosion, this review doesn't happen. Simply because the human brain cannot act that fast.

After your brain is completely dead/destroyed, absolutely nothing happens.
Our so called "spirit", in my opinion only the definition of the great neuron complex between our ears, just doesn't exist anymore. There is no heaven and no hell where it can 'fly' to.
The body cannot work without the brain, means it is taken to the graveyard and turns to earth.

Sure, I do not have any prove of that but noone has. It is only my own opinion.

Regards
Sinthoras

Re: When you die, then what? #73402
05/07/06 20:43
05/07/06 20:43
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Quote:

I think allowing yourself to ignore the obvious, once you're old enough to understand the difference (part of the reason we were created) is wishful thinking.

That sentence could have said by scientists as well, or by one scientist about another...etc.
There is no limit of people with their different believes who said and will say this sentence again and again.
But the sentence is nonsense. Almost nothing is obvious.

Relating 'obvious', you can have four people within the same room the same moment looking at the same event, and you can be sure that you will get four versions about what 'obviously' happend!

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: Pappenheimer] #73403
05/08/06 08:51
05/08/06 08:51
Dortmund, Germany
P
phil3d Offline
Developer
phil3d  Offline
Developer
P

Dortmund, Germany
the answer is very easy after life comes the same as before we were born...nothing

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: phil3d] #73404
05/08/06 11:15
05/08/06 11:15
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

From my perspective, shortly after you die, perhaps a few hours after, you might take on what I like to refer to as a "heavier than life" appearance. In other words, to me, you might appear heavier dead, than simply sleeping. If you've died outside, typically, wihin a rather short duration, flies collect in and swarm about your mouth. Less than a few hours after discovery of the body, a crowd usually gathers around, not directly near, but roughly 15 to 25ft from the body. Peace officers may arrive, within the span of time that the crowd forms, and they may take pictures, ask questions, request that reports be written by witnesses, etc.
Quote:

When you die, what do you think will happen afterwards for you?

Basically, if you've discovered and/or examined dead bodies, you might have answers to your question, albeit not the answers you were searching for.

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: testDummy] #73405
05/08/06 11:20
05/08/06 11:20
Israel, Haifa
ROMAC Offline
Expert
ROMAC  Offline
Expert

Israel, Haifa
Why is it that people cannot accept the fact of "nothingness", it exists all around you. Before you were born you were nothing, and after you die you are nothing. Why would you see a review or your life? It's like saying that after you die you get 3 wishes. Life isn't a Disney movie...

Re: When you die, then what? [Re: ROMAC] #73406
05/08/06 16:37
05/08/06 16:37
Germany, Bavaria
Sinthoras Offline
Sinthoras  Offline

Germany, Bavaria
Ye sure, but I think those people having been 'already' dead and than were brought to live again saw such things and had told it later.
One can interpret it as "searching" of the brain for a solution for such a heavy attack on it (death is one of the worst attacks, though its the last ^^). It trys to find any similarities in any situation of your whole life, what makes you thinking of a live review. The matter that you only see the positive aspects is explained simple: the brain is designed to save the good things better than the bad.

No matter what happens AT THE MOMENT of death, after it there's nothing, I agree with you

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite