by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,119 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Weekly, Bi-Weekly, or Monthly email update? #76415
06/02/06 01:59
06/02/06 01:59
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline OP
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline OP
User

Hiya.

I don't own DarkBasic ( http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/ ), but I do subscribe to their monthly email newsletter. Every time I get it I find at least 20 to 50 percent of it to be really interesting in terms of ideas, products, games, etc. comming out for it. I've been tempted...*seriously* tempted...on more than one occasion to just give in and buy it. If it weren't for the fact that I've been with 3DGS since version 4, and that I own both Torque and C4, I would have bought it LONG ago.

So, I'd like to see Conitec put together something of equal use with regards to 3DGS. I'd like to see what Conitec is up to, what others are doing, other "plug-in'able" programs that can work with 3DGS (texture packs, modeling programs, physics add-ons, weather simulators, etc.). I'm sure they are out there...or they might be if Conitec started to put some more effort into giving us more info on what is out there or what is "in the pipe" for the next edition. I know we can find all this out on the forums and main web site, but it would be nice to see these in a monthly newsletter.

I'm getting a bit dissillusioned with 3DGS's complete lack of information on what is going on with Game Studio. Other companies seem to have no problem with frequent updates on where the "engine/program" is currently at...why not Conitec? The A7 upgrade info can be found on the "beta" page, but it's hardly exciting. I turn to AUM for the little bits on what's comming up...with screen shots and comments.

Anyway, I guess I'm just a bit frusterated with the way Conitec is keeping us in the dark FAR too much, IMHO. I know some of you will say "But if they say X will be released on Y date, and it isn't, everyone bitches at them." Well, that's part of being a business. Pick a rough date, like "Second quarter of 2007", *and* put a HUGE, in-your-face disclamer that the predicted time is subject to change. You will still get people who whine, but I'm *sure* that the number of people who are happy to see all the cool stuff that is 'in the works' would be a hundred fold over the complainers. In short, don't punish the majority because of a few whiney little boobs.

Anyone else like to see a monthly newsletter of the same quality (or better) as the DarkBASIC (aka, "The Game Creators") newsletter?

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Weekly, Bi-Weekly, or Monthly email update? [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #76416
06/04/06 06:43
06/04/06 06:43
Kansas
Bopete Offline
Bopete  Offline

Kansas
I have found AUM to be very informative, and I believe that there's a new one just about every month... however...

I think most of us would find it extremely helpful if we could sign up for a mail list where we could receive email notification when an update is released... it would save some of us (like me!) from wrestling with bugs and problems that have already been fixed, but we don't realize it until we dig through the forum in desperation looking for answers (or post redundant messaages), to find that a new update was released that we didn't know about.

The wind of change blows straight into the face of time. ~ The Scorpions
Re: Weekly, Bi-Weekly, or Monthly email update? [Re: Bopete] #76417
06/04/06 09:44
06/04/06 09:44
Paul_L_Ming Offline OP
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline OP
User

Hiya.

Yes! I agree with that too! If you are interested in seeing what I would like, but with 3D Game Studio, you can check them out online here: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?gf=newsletter

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Weekly, Bi-Weekly, or Monthly email update? [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #76418
06/05/06 17:44
06/05/06 17:44
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Anyway, I guess I'm just a bit frusterated with the way Conitec is keeping us in the dark FAR too much, IMHO. I know some of you will say "But if they say X will be released on Y date, and it isn't, everyone bitches at them." Well, that's part of being a business. Pick a rough date, like "Second quarter of 2007", *and* put a HUGE, in-your-face disclamer that the predicted time is subject to change. You will still get people who whine, but I'm *sure* that the number of people who are happy to see all the cool stuff that is 'in the works' would be a hundred fold over the complainers. In short, don't punish the majority because of a few whiney little boobs.

What's wrong with "It's done when it's done."? Apart from that, there's the forecast page and beta page which should give enough insights into what to expect to be upcomming, albeit with a disclaimer.

I rather have good updates than hasty and sloppy ones every week.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Weekly, Bi-Weekly, or Monthly email update? [Re: PHeMoX] #76419
06/05/06 22:00
06/05/06 22:00
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
My first thought was: "Ick! More spam." But, just because I wouldn't sign up for it doesn't mean that a large number of our clients wouldn't.

I'll ask around and see what it would take to set up a mailing list. If it was automated with a 100% opt-in/out feature, it wouldn't take a lot of overhead. I can see how this could be helpful for both clients and Conitec.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de