by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro), 892 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Model; Closed\Open - What does it mean? #81895
07/17/06 12:17
07/17/06 12:17
Norway
Turotulco Offline OP
Turotulco  Offline OP

Norway
In MED, I create a model, simple cylinders and blocks. I move them close together to make a table with legs. When I use the tools option to test the mesh, I see I have 9 objects, 6 closed, 3 open. Could someone explain to me:

1. what does this mean
2. is it a problem
3. how do I correct or avoid it?

Occasionally I will end up with a model that has all objects open. Using Lithunwrap to weld the model seems to resolve most of those objects, but not all of them. Since I am not sure of what I am doing exactly, it makes me a little uncomfortable. I really am ignorant of the issue here, I know. But I would like to come to an understanding of this. ;-)

Thanks!

b. rgds. T "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger. Are you sure you don't you mean stronger? Yes. Quite sure." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ A6 Commercial Ver 6.5
Re: Model; Closed\Open - What does it mean? [Re: Turotulco] #81896
07/17/06 13:11
07/17/06 13:11
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
A mesh is only closed when every edge is part of 2 triangles.

An open mesh could give problems when you use dynamic shadows.

Re: Model; Closed\Open - What does it mean? [Re: Excessus] #81897
07/17/06 14:47
07/17/06 14:47
Norway
Turotulco Offline OP
Turotulco  Offline OP

Norway
Perfectly clear. Thanks!

OK, since I have constructed this model out of primitives, and each primitive is perfect in triangular geometry, I can only assume that the openings are being caused by my allowing one primitive to penetrate another? What would be the best manner of using two primitives without opening the geometry? As in butting a round table leg up against a flat table surface? Should I simply make sure they are close but do not penetrate? Is there a better method?

I know this is basic stuff, but I really need to get it clear before I invest a lot of time in constructing meshes.

Again, thanks.

b. rgds. T "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger. Are you sure you don't you mean stronger? Yes. Quite sure." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ A6 Commercial Ver 6.5
Re: Model; Closed\Open - What does it mean? [Re: Turotulco] #81898
07/17/06 14:59
07/17/06 14:59
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
That's strange. Either the description in the manual is wrong and every edge being shared by 2 triangles isn't the only requirement for a mesh to be closed, or your model isn't actually closed.

How have you created your model, have you exported it from an external modeller? If you have, sometimes the vertices are split by the export process. Then there are actually 2 vertices on the same spot, one conected to triangleA and one to triangleB. Try box-selecting a (seemingly single) vertex(vertices) and welding it. If that doesn't help I don't know.

Re: Model; Closed\Open - What does it mean? [Re: Excessus] #81899
07/17/06 15:51
07/17/06 15:51
Norway
Turotulco Offline OP
Turotulco  Offline OP

Norway
Well, I have spent considerable hours at this now, so I have tried a number of different paths.And yes, I created the model in Milkeshape. It is simple enough I could create it in MED, but I am trying to use this model in other projects as well.

So you are saying that interpenetrating primitives should not affect the mesh closure?

Welding the vertices after importing to MED does seem to reduce the closure count, but I end up with some strange face geometry. Since these models appear to render fine in other rendering environments, I'm guessing it is as you say, the import process into MED.

I have reconfigured the model so each primitive is distinct and separate from the others. I've tried exporting from Milkshape to 3ds, Milkshape Ascii, and I've tried from 3ds to Ultimate Unwrap and into 3dgs MDL. The last seems to work best, I get down to 3 or 4 open faces. The 3DS will work fine for me in Ogre and other renderers, I was just hoping to use 3DGS for prototyping. Importing shouldn't be this difficult. I was thinking it was something I was not understanding about constructing the meshes. But I don't think I want to re-weld 500 models. ;-)That's what the spec calls for.

Given Milkshape, Ultimate Unwrap and MED, can you suggest a possible pipeline to try that routes through those tools ending up with the least damage importing into MED?

Thanks again!

Re: Model; Closed\Open - What does it mean? [Re: Turotulco] #81900
07/17/06 17:03
07/17/06 17:03
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Using open meshes also has the advantage of not having to render unseen polygons which adds to a faster frame rate. Take the case of holding a gun. You can't see the bottom of it, so why bother building faces and using extra vertices in that area when you could avoid them and speed up the rendering (or add extra details to what is visible)? If you can't see the bottom of a table, why bother wasting polygons and vertices to render it?

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Model; Closed\Open - What does it mean? [Re: ulillillia] #81901
07/18/06 18:20
07/18/06 18:20
Norway
Turotulco Offline OP
Turotulco  Offline OP

Norway
I agree. But I also see the difficulty of dealing with unruly meshes. No problem really. I am not using dynamic shadows in 3DGS anyway, they seem too fragile. Especially given the import difficulties of models created outside of MED. <g> Works great as a fast prototyper though. The models seem to work fine in other renderers, shadows and all. So no biggy.

Thanks to everyone for clarifying and confirming.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de