Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Blobsculptor tools and objects download here
by NeoDumont. 03/28/24 03:01
Issue with Multi-Core WFO Training
by aliswee. 03/24/24 20:20
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by Edgar_Herrera. 03/23/24 21:41
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 03/06/24 09:27
VSCode instead of SED
by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (opm), 778 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Doug] #101407
12/10/06 08:42
12/10/06 08:42
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

we are finding all sorts of surprises in people who are totally "normal" in appearance.

Can you elaborate on this?

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #101408
12/10/06 13:54
12/10/06 13:54
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Carleton "Carly" Fiorina CEO Hewlett Packard
Shelly Lazarus Chairman & CEO, Ogilvy & Mather
Meg Whitman President & CEO, eBay Technologies
Anne Mulcahy CEO XEROX
Patricia Russo CEO Lucent Technologies
Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany
Maggie Thatcher, Prime Minister, UK
etc etc etc etc etc

The subject of this forum says it all, 'attitudes', perception clouded by sexist stupidity. Why aren't there women CEO's in Afghanistan? Discrimination. Why aren't there more in the USA? We were not even allowed to VOTE in this country UNTIL 1920.

Here's a quote from Marilyn vos Savant, IQ 228, smartest person on the earth if you believe in IQ

Quote:

Perhaps most convincing of all are these facts from other outposts in the animal kingdom:

•Female chimpanzees learn complex tasks as easily as males.
•Female gorillas can be taught sign language as well as males.
•Female guide dogs are as capable at their work as males.
•Female dolphins perform practical jokes as often as males.
•Female parrots are able to mime and talk as well as males.
•Female rats and mice run mazes just as efficiently as males.
Would you prefer to adopt a male puppy because you thought you could teach him more tricks? No, you know better. (And we don’t find more female moths in our light fixtures!) Why should anyone think that human females are an exception?!

PS Imagine that, not letting the smartest (tested IQ) person to vote. That's life in pre-suffrage America.

Re: About women attitudes [Re: JetpackMonkey] #101409
12/10/06 15:10
12/10/06 15:10
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

Next to the political and economical leader issue,

take real life examples.

I think it is just a question of interest in certain fields, why there is a more
male of female dominance.

Take this forum, or gamedevelopment as an example. Next to you (one of the very few exeptions)
and maybe some others, there are no females envolved in gamedesign.

I think this is simply because males have more interest in programming and creating games,
just for the purpose of making them. Very few developers actually earn money with it.
It is simply that males have certain interests that few woman share, and thus
dominate this field. And this is not caused by some discrimination, but simply the
phsycological nature of this gender.

Other fields are mostly dominated by woman nowerdays. For example the social sciences and
arts in our univerity.
Economical sciences have a 50% mix, and Math/Physics/Infomation technology/engeneering have
a male dominance.
This is not caused by discrimination, but by a difference in interests.

Or how often do you discuss macrophysics with your female friends?
Males do, at least some times.
On the other hand, males dont dicuss much about family issues,
at least not to the same extend.

----------

They had a funny test on a TV show some times ago.
A person enters a Taxi (Cap) and the taxidriver talked about
some topics, like the car he bought (about the color, engine, interior) and
then talked about the son of his sister where he had a picture of him in the front.

After the trip, the persons where asked, whatever they remembered about the
dialog.

Males remembered the car, its type, its horsepower, engine, interior (like leatherseats)
But did not remember the name of the kid, or how he looked like.

Most Females remembered only the color of the car, but not the type.
But most of them remembered the kids name, and how he looked like, and what sport he plays.

Males and Females simply process information differently, since they
have interest in different fields.

Re: About women attitudes [Re: Damocles] #101410
12/10/06 16:00
12/10/06 16:00
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

This is not caused by discrimination, but by a difference in interests.

You're definately right about the interests, but when it comes to certain areas there's definately still discrimination involved! Mostly indirect though, as in, some years ago it would be totally not done to even think about accepting a woman for a certain position in a company or certain jobs or even accept university application, but instead give a 'recommendation' that she would be better of when she would not study.

People tend to deny it, but the effects of those days are still very very noticable in today's world, despite emancipation.

I only have to look at the amount of female teachers in our University. It's still far from equal and then I'm talking about art, languages and culture faculties too! (the faculties women usually are most likely to be interested in, as opposed to e.g. chemistry)

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Damocles] #101411
12/10/06 16:59
12/10/06 16:59
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Quote:

, there are no females envolved in gamedesign.

Well, to say 'no females' is really incorrect. Okay, there are not as many as men, but still that is not something I've seen in my professional experience-- I've worked at four different game studios over the last 14 years and in every case there was about half women staff.. two had female CEO's and producers, every single one had female art directors, and some of them had worked as art directors at other studios. One had only female programmers (small operation), another had 2/5 female programming staff, three of four had female sound designers/composers! There's creator of Sierra Online, Roberta Williams. Director of Product Development for Sony Entertainment for nearly every PS2 and PS3 title Connie Booth, etc etc etc. There really are many more. Sure none are as famous as Wil Wright or Sid Meier, minus Roberta Williams, but that's not really important.. Also while working at a well known graphics software company, exactly one half of the programming staff were genius young women, brilliant programmers.

Also at the SF Academy of Art College's game design program, a significant portion of the game design students are female. I think this will only increase with time as videogames expand in design and content appeal further to women.. as some games increase in quality of narrative and visual design. Games like The Sims... A majority of games have lacked qualities that appeal to woman, which is a factor in this, but it's totally changing nowadays-- that isn't a function of "women don't like games" but a difference in style. It's changing, and many studios are realizing this now that women make up half the consumer demographic, with more women purchasing games than men.

Re: About women attitudes [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #101412
12/11/06 18:38
12/11/06 18:38
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

Quote:

we are finding all sorts of surprises in people who are totally "normal" in appearance.

Using just the DNA examples, we are seeing a lot more interesting DNA markers (like XXY, XXX, YY, etc.). Also, there are many cases of people who look totally normal on the outside, but inside they're DNA doesn't match up (blood may be XY while brain tissue shows XX). In fact, every time we come up with something we think "is male" or "is female" we find somebody that proves that wrong.

San Diego has some fun science businesses. Spend enough time drinking coffee with people here and you get all sorts of fun stories.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Doug] #101413
12/11/06 19:08
12/11/06 19:08
Beverly, Massachusetts
Rhuarc Offline
Expert
Rhuarc  Offline
Expert

Beverly, Massachusetts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Using just the DNA examples, we are seeing a lot more interesting DNA markers (like XXY, XXX, YY, etc.). Also, there are many cases of people who look totally normal on the outside, but inside they're DNA doesn't match up (blood may be XY while brain tissue shows XX). In fact, every time we come up with something we think "is male" or "is female" we find somebody that proves that wrong.

San Diego has some fun science businesses. Spend enough time drinking coffee with people here and you get all sorts of fun stories.

And imagine all the stories they tell about you, Doug

-Rhuarc

I no longer post on these forums, keep in touch with me via:
Linkedin.com
My MSDN blog
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Rhuarc] #101414
12/11/06 20:39
12/11/06 20:39
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline
Expert
Ran Man  Offline
Expert

Coppell, Texas
Have you guys ever noticed that girls and women seem to love the "STORY LINE" content in games and not necessarily the ACTION stuff?

I mean they watch those dumb soap opera's TV shows when they can and get entertained by it. It seems to be the same with games!?

My daughters, for example, loved to play the "Final Fantasy" series of games. Hello? How boring! You get to hear and play with the struggles and love lifes of some dumb computer character that somebody dreamed up at "Squaresoft" or Disney. Who cares about that? That's pretty dull.

Roberta Williams, for example, was a good "writer" of storylines for adventure games, but not a technical guru at all. She could have wrote some fictional novels and been equally sucessful.

They seem to like the "stories" and guys tend to like the real "action" I think...

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Ran Man] #101415
12/12/06 00:52
12/12/06 00:52
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

I mainly play story games, some action adv some pure adv, and I love the Final Fantasy games as do a few million other males. I also know plenty of women who like action games, too. I could care less about pure action games, although I'm sure there are some exceptions if I thought really hard. I must be a woman then. No, wait, it's all still there.

Roberta Williams was a pioneer. She wasn't just a "writer," she's a full-fledged designer and a writer. Jane Jensen is another. She's been out of the game for a while after her Gabriel Knight trilogy, but she has a new adv coming out called Gray Matter.

Game Industry's 100 Most Influential Women: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3783&Itemid=2

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: About women attitudes [Re: Rhuarc] #101416
12/12/06 18:41
12/12/06 18:41
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

And imagine all the stories they tell about you, Doug

Heheh, nice thought but I don't think my life is that interesting.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite