Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
basik85278
by basik85278. 04/28/24 08:56
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:03
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
M1 Oversampling
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:12
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (blaurock), 750 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: jcl] #105015
01/04/07 11:32
01/04/07 11:32
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

God does not have to fear a lethal injection. The maximum penalty he has to face is life imprisonment. Most civilized nations have long ago abandoned the death penalty.

True, but there's a slight problem that only applies to God. You see, unless he dies (imposter or not), there's no guarantee that he can't or won't commit such a crime again, even while in prison. I assume he thinks to be immortal, so what's the point of life imprisonment for him? A couple of hundred years (which is nothing for an immortal being) or perhaps one natural disaster and he's free. By the way, isn't 'life' imprisonment usually something up to about 25 years?

I think theoretically speaking the 'real' God wouldn't want to be caught, since again theoretically it could turn him into a slave of mankind, (off course granted we could actually catch him in the first place)

Edit: Problem number 2 by the way:

Quote:

[...] unlike the Democratic Republic of Congo, has not signed the ICC statute, which in any case does not cover crimes committed before the court came into existence. So any sort of international trial for the Ba'athist dictator and his henchmen, as many would have liked to see, would have had to involve setting up yet another ad hoc body.

I feel rules are going to bend anyways if the International Criminal Court in The Hague is going to put God to trial, more or less regardsless of the maximum penalty.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: PHeMoX] #105016
01/04/07 11:59
01/04/07 11:59
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
If he could take care of 60,000 people at Lisboa, I'm sure he can take care of the Judge and jury.

Last edited by A.Russell; 01/04/07 12:00.
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: A.Russell] #105017
01/04/07 16:38
01/04/07 16:38
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
If you go from the content of the bible god didnt kill anyone. Or at least nothing thats important.

According to the bible the body itself is just a hull and that god needs to add the sparkle of life (the soul) to it to "create" an existence.
While back then 60.000 bodies died, he did not harm any eternal living soul at all. Its just a point of view issue.
And on the higher level this wouldnt be killing anymore but massive vandalism. In worst case this would reduce the penalty from life or death to some years inprisoned.

Furthermore you could claim that the human body is nothing more then a leasing agreement with a limited time offer and without a predefined deadline - like a flat. you can live in it as long as the hirer doesnt request it back or kicks you out. Nor get you any warranty or insurance for it.

So if someone borrows you a car to drive with and takes it away from you after a time you hardly can demand death penalty for that.

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Blattsalat] #105018
01/04/07 20:50
01/04/07 20:50
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

So if someone borrows you a car to drive with and takes it away from you after a time you hardly can demand death penalty for that.

Well maybe not a death penalty, but that depends on the brand of the car.

(By the way, there's no 'borrow life from God' agreement, so it's fundamentally different.)

Cheers

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: PHeMoX] #105019
01/05/07 03:54
01/05/07 03:54
G
Gumby22don Offline
Gumby22don  Offline
G

I'd have to go Option 4. Insanity.

a) God has a sense of humour, see file under "Woman"

b) God doesn't go by quite the same set of rules as we do, case in point some of the previous posts: 'bodys as lease' argument above, strategy 2 works from the basis tha God sees the bigger picture, which means he may have justification for the "removal" of certain areas of humanity, or the earth or whatever his "target" may have been.

I personally don't think He creates earthquakes when bored, but I do believe he could be counted culpable, given he left us in charge

Don
have a great day

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Blattsalat] #105020
01/05/07 20:52
01/05/07 20:52
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

If you go from the content of the bible god didnt kill anyone.
According to the bible the body itself is just a hull...
cheers

If so, I wonder why the Bible tell also " Dont' kill "

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: AlbertoT] #105021
01/05/07 21:04
01/05/07 21:04
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

By the way , a question for bible experts
Is it true that the immortality of the human soul is never mentioned in the Buble?
It seems that Jesus Christ spoke for the first time about a life after the death
The Jews nowadays also beleive in the immortality but it is a relativly new concept in their religion

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: AlbertoT] #105022
01/06/07 07:14
01/06/07 07:14
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
-->If so, I wonder why the Bible tell also " Dont' kill "

its a question of attitude. it also writes dont steal, lie or jump on your neighbours wife. kind of the jedi knight stuff just without the trash talk of yoda

the bible describes god as the essence of love your soul is part of, and it cant be if you refuse to be part of the whole picture. i cant be love if i act as hate algebra.

but this is getting kind of way too off topic.

if you want written permission god can still point to the bible Ex 20,4-6 and kick all our butts for generations.

it could get quite tricky to inprison god.
Because first of all you will have to proof that god killed those people or kills people in general.

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: broozar] #105023
01/09/07 18:59
01/09/07 18:59
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

I'm just curious and am forwarding this question to Christian fundamentalists - what would be God's best defense strategy in such a case?

Did I hear "fundamentalist"?!

This is a good question. Although I resent the blasphemous premise of the post, I think I can give an interesting answer. I don't know if its right, I'm still pretty ignorant about Christianity myself, but let's see what I can do.

So, starting at the point that God is in court, I'd assume He would represent Himself. Can't count on us fallen apes to make the case ...However, God wouldn't need to break a sweat, if He were to take this avenue. Just expose the jury (or for that matter the entire courtroom) to a split second of the shame their sin brings upon themselves, the same shame normally reserved for hell, and that'll put them on His side real quick.

After that, He'll just explain that He has actually been pretty nice and benevolent towards us this whole time. Instead of completely letting our sin seperate us from Him in this life, and letting the worst chaos one could possibly imagine take place, He has prevented the full force of the consequences of our sin from hitting us, and actually we should be thankful.

We should also be thankful that He doesn't have an enabling personality that completely shields us from the pain and suffering our sin causes in the world, and would (in the end) allow us to make things worse for ourselves (especially with respect to our after-life).

That's just my two cents. I'm sure there are more thorough, and accurate answers to this objection out there since its been around for some time.

edit:
Quote:

Thanks to the Iraq judiciary, 2007 begins with one dictator less in the world.

I was surprised when I heard that, by the by. I guess I'm not too up on current events, because it totally caught me off guard when the news reached me. I actually felt pretty sad about it. Not that Saddam was a good guy or anything, but it still sucks.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 01/09/07 19:08.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Irish_Farmer] #105024
01/09/07 19:17
01/09/07 19:17
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

He has prevented the full force of the consequences of our sin from hitting us, and actually we should be thankful.

I don't quite understand this line, because a.) we should take responsibility for our own sins and most of the time people will regret them anyways (= hence they will feel the full consequences of their sins) ánd b.) wé are the ones ignoring or 'hiding' our sins, there's no intervention of God needed for that.

Infact, these kind of ideological points of view make religious people hide behind the bible if they've done something wrong. Together with the whole 'confession' thing in churches. Some might not understand my point of view, but I actually think confessing in all anonimity is a bad thing, because it doesn't solve or change anything. Confessing publically would be better, thát's when you take full responsibility for your sins. Confession is something strange anyways, since you can sort of wave away your sins, anyways I'm going off topic I guess.

Quote:

I actually felt pretty sad about it. Not that Saddam was a good guy or anything, but it still sucks.

A lifelong detention would have been way better. But then again I'm against the deathpenalty no matter what. (too much innocent people got that penalty in the past, not that Saddam is innocent off course.)

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 01/09/07 19:19.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite