Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Blobsculptor tools and objects download here
by NeoDumont. 03/28/24 03:01
Issue with Multi-Core WFO Training
by aliswee. 03/24/24 20:20
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by Edgar_Herrera. 03/23/24 21:41
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 03/06/24 09:27
VSCode instead of SED
by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Imhotep, opm), 785 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
God's Defense Strategy #105005
01/03/07 13:44
01/03/07 13:44
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Thanks to the Iraq judiciary, 2007 begins with one dictator less in the world. But what will happen when the world's last dictator is to be eliminated? Consider the following hypothetical case:

A sort of super-police has finally hunted down the last dictator, and is dragging a bearded and unkempt God out of a spider-hole where he hid the last 250 years. Now God is brought before the International Criminal Court in The Hague, under charge of mass murder committed in 1755.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

Just as with Saddam, the prosecution is concentrating on this particular case at first, and intends to deal with other crimes later. As God claims omnipotence, he will be held responsible for natural disasters, death, pain, and suffering happening in the world, and thus especially for the 1755 earthquake of Lisboa that killed 60,000.

The court will judge according to international law. God has hired the lawyer of O.J.Simpson for his defense. Now they are discussing on which arguments they could build their strategy:

1. Not guilty because I didn't do it.

2. Although I did do it, it was justified for the following reason: (...).

3. This court is not competent and its laws do not apply (Saddam's defense).

4. Not guilty due to insanity.

5. Not guilty due to statute of limitations.

6. I have created life and thus can also take it away whenever I feel like to.

7. Some other defense I didn't think about...

I'm just curious and am forwarding this question to Christian fundamentalists - what would be God's best defense strategy in such a case?

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: jcl] #105006
01/03/07 14:13
01/03/07 14:13
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
i guess he would turn into a flame , burn down all those unholy halfmonkeys, send them down to hell and fly away thru the next window by turning into a white pigeon...

well, i am very interested in the avalanche(?) which will roll down upon this thread

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: ello] #105007
01/03/07 14:58
01/03/07 14:58
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
God would use the 6. startegy. He IS creator of us, and now when he is taken to the court, he'd succefully annihilate the jury and place in angels, who naturally are against any sues. This way, O.J.Simpson and God win the court.

Tho they can also refer to the 4. Not quilty due to insanity and 7. Not quilty due to 42

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Inestical] #105008
01/03/07 17:12
01/03/07 17:12
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

1 and 3

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: broozar] #105009
01/03/07 21:02
01/03/07 21:02
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
2. He does kill a lot of people, but being a god and all, he needs to seperate the fit from the weak by dealing out pain and death every so often. It does help evolve humanity in the long run, so the court might cut him some slack..

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: LarryLaffer] #105010
01/03/07 22:53
01/03/07 22:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
7. He pleads guilty, he believes he is God afterall and he would be convinced that a lethal injection won't harm him.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: jcl] #105011
01/03/07 23:07
01/03/07 23:07
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Although I agree with the reason 1 and 3 answer, from what I have noticed about humanity I would thoroughly understand answer number 2. And the reasons I would provide would probably be starting with: "Because of posts like this made by people like you."

If I was God, I could see destroying thousands in an earthquake just for rebellion and wickedness. I personally wonder why God hasn't destroyed us and this rotten planet thousands of years ago, but that is from some wisdom which I don't naturally possess.

Also even as a Christian I would slightly disagree with reason 3. The reason is because in many ways God indeed is bound by the rules of "Divine Justice" and would have to answer for evil just like the rest of us. Just because He is God does not exempt him from Justice. Even if Justice is something He created(which is in itself debatable) He would still have to be bound by those laws or else He would be hypocritical.

But history should have made it clear that our courts are indeed incompetent. The OJ case being solid proof of it.

However, the question itself is an absurd fantasy, because even if you didn't believe in the Christian God, it would still be ridiculous to think that He would be on trial from us mere humans. Because even if you didnt believe in God, just by formulating the question you would have to have accepted the Biblical descriptions of God and in those descriptions there is definitely no indication that He will ever be on trial by us at any time.

If you were to have understood the Bible at all you might realize that in a real sense God already did stand trial before Divine Justice, only it was not to protect Himself from accusations, but rather to offer Himself up for a propitiation for humanity's offenses. He did that in the form of Jesus Christ.

Quote:

7. He pleads guilty, he believes he is God afterall and he would be convinced that a lethal injection won't harm him.

Heh heh

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: NITRO777] #105012
01/04/07 05:53
01/04/07 05:53
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
Why defend in the first place?
Its his job.

Thats the deal. If you dont like it you can cancel this deal, die and do with eternety whatever you would like to.

You can try to get alive by yourself. But if you chose the god way the deal is life and sooner or later some sort of death.
And the retail slogan is the maxim: "if you find this product somewhere else cheaper, get the hell out of my shop and buy it there"

Your choice, his rules.

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Blattsalat] #105013
01/04/07 07:00
01/04/07 07:00
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Hmm, on closer consideration I suspect that some of the suggested defense strategies aren't going to work. Especially since God and his lawyer learned to their dismay that the prosecution intends to present a thick evidence folder, called 'the bible' and containing witness accounts of many of God's crimes or complicity in crimes.

(1) - the O.J.Simpson Strategy ("I didn't do it") - probably will fail here. The bible evidence shows clearly that God repeatedly boasted about his absolute power and authority over men's lives, and did not hesitate to use this power for genocide, instigation of mass murder, and other purposes that are criminal by today's standards.

(3) - the Saddam Strategy ("this court has no power over me") won't work because international law gives the ICC power of judgment over all crimes against humanity that were referred to it by the UN security council. The UN SC routinely refers all cases of mass murder when they are not handled by a national court and the perp is not a US soldier. God's claim to be a US soldier would obviously fail, so his acts fall under the jurisdiction of the court.

(6) - claiming that he who gives life can also take it - won't work either. If a mother kills her child after having given birth, she'll be prosecuted. National and international law gives everyone the right to keep his own life regardless of who gave it to him. Do not forget that this was not a "deal", as you weren't asked whether you want life or not.

Quote:

If I was God, I could see destroying thousands in an earthquake just for rebellion and wickedness. I personally wonder why God hasn't destroyed us and this rotten planet thousands of years ago,

Maybe a successful defense strategy might be (2) - admitting the crime but excusing it with some particular reasons. However, it won't help a perp to claim that he killed people just "for rebellion and wickedness". Saddam also killed people for rebellion, but this didn't save him from the gallows. Besides, Portugal was one of the most devout Christian countries in 1755. The earthquake killed mostly Christians and destroyed all churches and religious institutions, while secular buildings sometimes were unharmed. Thus, I have the impression that maybe the Book of Job could give a hint of the perp's motives in this case.

BTW - God does not have to fear a lethal injection. The maximum penalty he has to face is life imprisonment. Most civilized nations have long ago abandoned the death penalty.

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: jcl] #105014
01/04/07 10:57
01/04/07 10:57
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

Quote:

(1) - the O.J.Simpson Strategy ("I didn't do it") - probably will fail here. The bible evidence shows clearly that God repeatedly boasted about his absolute power and authority over men's lives, and did not hesitate to use this power for genocide, instigation of mass murder, and other purposes that are criminal by today's standards.

god could say that the bible is a book written by man and therefor full of mistakes, he could go for libel and slander, so (1)'s still possible.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite