Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AbrahamR, 7th_zorro, dr_panther, 1 invisible), 702 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: AlbertoT] #105105
01/28/07 13:58
01/28/07 13:58
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Lol, what if God says Jesus is not his son?

OT:
Quote:

Why did Jesus Christ sacrifice his life on the cross , then?

I know you didn't mean to discuss, but it's not like anything has changed for humanity after Jesus died. The claim is something did change for our afterlife. Anybody can 'sacrify' and make claims about something we will never witness one way or the other.

It's like playing those prediction games, if it comes true, did you really predicted or was it luck or simple chance? Example: someone says; "You are never going to throw that banana into the bucket, you will throw it over to the left side." Assume it happens that way. Did saying that line influence the outcome of the action? Remember that you can't repeat this multiple times to check if it's chance, since we only die once. Like I've said so many times, what's the point of believing in something you can't ever know?

Quote:

Unless there were some evidence to the claims.

Like what?

Quote:

From the start you've portrayed Him as not-sovereign, as weak and pathetic. I wouldn't believe in your god either.

This is an interesting line, because that's exactly how I think most religious people seem to think. If it doesn't fit, change the ideas to make fit.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: PHeMoX] #105106
01/28/07 19:00
01/28/07 19:00
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

Like I've said so many times, what's the point of believing in something you can't ever know?

Unless there were some evidence to the claims.

Anyway, this court case is headed for a big snooze. We see that God isn't really to blame for any of these deaths because He hasn't had any influence on His creation since He created it. Its really those wacky fundies who have been attributing those deaths to Him, giving Him a bad name.

From the start you've portrayed Him as not-sovereign, as weak and pathetic. I wouldn't believe in your god either.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 01/28/07 19:04.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Irish_Farmer] #105107
01/31/07 16:58
01/31/07 16:58
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Quote:

We see that God isn't really to blame for any of these deaths because He hasn't had any influence on His creation since He created it. Its really those wacky fundies who have been attributing those deaths to Him, giving Him a bad name.

I am not so sure. What would God himself have to say about this?

After he's settled in the witness box, the prosecutor approaches him with a devilish grin. He puts his big evidence bible right in front of God, demanding him to swear on this book to tell the truth, and nothing but the truth.

With some disapproval, God stares at the bible. The prosecutor has marked every page where God has killed or tortured someone with a red tab. The bible is bristling with bundles of red tabs from all sides.

Slowly, God reaches out to touch the bible, apparently not noticing the frantic signals from the defense table. The court room holds its breath. Will God really fall for this easy trap? In the very last moment, his lawyer jumps across the room and snatches the bible away. "My client refuses to swear on that book! He insists on this one!" He gets a book from his evidence stack.

The book the lawyer has chosen does not look very old and impressive. In fact it seems to just have been bought from a book store. Even a 'NY Times bestseller' sticker can be seen on the cover. The people in the court room franticly try to catch a glimpse on the title. It is... oh my gosh!! All gasp in shock. It is Richard Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker"!

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: jcl] #105108
02/01/07 04:42
02/01/07 04:42
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
The thing is, as smart of a scientist as Dawkins is, He might as well be legally mentally retarded when it comes to religion. He actually endorsed whywontgodhealamputees, not to mention Sam Harris' LtaCN.

I am interested in seeing what Dawkins' book has to do with the topic at hand.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Irish_Farmer] #105109
02/01/07 11:35
02/01/07 11:35
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
About the book (wikipedia):

Quote:

near the end of the book Dawkins uses this to argue against the existence of God: "a deity capable of engineering all the organised complexity in the world, either instantaneously or by guiding evolution, . . . must already have been vastly complex in the first place . . ." He calls this "postulating organised complexity without offering an explanation."

In its preface, Dawkins states that he wrote the book "to persuade the reader, not just that the Darwinian world-view happens to be true, but that it is the only known theory that could, in principle, solve the mystery of our existence."

That's why it's relevant.

It's a nice book by the way, I'm only halfway through, but I can recommend it to anyone already. His ideas about evolution are very interesting.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: PHeMoX] #105110
02/01/07 22:20
02/01/07 22:20
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
So God is going to swear on a book that posulates the impossibility of His existence?

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Irish_Farmer] #105111
02/02/07 00:29
02/02/07 00:29
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Not so. The book concludes not the impossibility of His existence, but only the unlikeliness that he has anything to do with our existence.

I'm also not sure that God is going to swear on this book. Right now the lawyer tries to get him to and whispers hectically in His ear. However, you can see that God doesn't like it.

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: jcl] #105112
02/02/07 23:59
02/02/07 23:59
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Then either Dawkins has posited a non-sequitor, or the wikipedia article was misleading.

Quote:

near the end of the book Dawkins uses this to argue against the existence of God: "a deity capable of engineering all the organised complexity in the world, either instantaneously or by guiding evolution, . . . must already have been vastly complex in the first place . . ."

Just because God must be "complex", according to Dawkins, doesn't mean that God had/has nothing to do with humanity. I haven't read the book, but it seems that this is more of an argument against God's existence.

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: Irish_Farmer] #105113
02/03/07 00:18
02/03/07 00:18
Frankfurt
jcl Offline OP

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline OP

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
In a certain sense, yes; but the God that Dawkins disproves is only the fundamentalist God that created men and animals from dirt of the ground. Dawkins does not defeat a God who didn't physically create life.

Re: God's Defense Strategy [Re: jcl] #105114
02/03/07 10:49
02/03/07 10:49
Neustadt, Germany
T
TWO Offline

Serious User
TWO  Offline

Serious User
T

Neustadt, Germany
Maybe he will just say nothing of these, but instead 'my sons and daughter, FU' and then gets killed to show us what a world without a god would be?

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite